Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First couple of bites

I knew that of my past habits, that eating too fast was part of my problem. I am currently more than 3 weeks past banding and 6 weeks from my first fill. I was put last week on a pretty unrestrictive diet. I'm having very few problems. What I am finding though is that I am sitting down to eat, acting like my old self until the first or 2nd bite gets stuck. Wow is that painful and frequently leads to violent hiccups which are uncomfortable and sometimes painful. Its taking me a while to remember on my first bites to be a little more careful. If I do that, all is well. The only other problem I have had is taking too much to drink after a meal. I have always been a big Water drinker. Yesterday after my reasonable meal I remembered it was time for my evening medications. I took them easy enough, but then gulped down the remaining 8 ounces of water. That mixed with dinner and foamed up till I was ill. I did find a tums quick dissolve did settle that fast.

On another good note, my family doctor cut all my blood pressure meds in half and will probably take me off them in late Feb on my next visit. I haven't had a BP over 120/80 since my surgery. I had a BP of 91/67 last night.

It is definitely a learning process but eventually it becomes second nature to eat and drink slowly.

And a huge congratulations on getting the meds cut back...THAT IS GREAT NEWS!!!!

It is definitely a learning process but eventually it becomes second nature to eat and drink slowly.

And a huge congratulations on getting the meds cut back...THAT IS GREAT NEWS!!!!

Thanks. My wife also says my snoring is gone. I'm waiting till I lose around 12 more pounds before I call my sleep dcctor. I plan on never going through another overnight sleep study:w00t: I would rather have a root canal:cool2: I think this sleep doctor will give me another 24 oxygen monitor like he did when I first came to him. sleeping with a clip on my finger is far better than sleeping with 30 probes glued to my head and body. During my one day stay overnight when I was banded, they woke me up twice for vital signs and my O2 level as in the low 90s. On my sleep study it dipped to 79.

do you wait 30 mins after a meal to drink? I never had that foaming ever.

Congrats on getting meds cut down. i hope you get rid of them and well on your way to a better med free life.

do you wait 30 mins after a meal to drink? I never had that foaming ever.

Congrats on getting meds cut down. i hope you get rid of them and well on your way to a better med free life.

I normally do, this was an absent minded thing, I ate dinner a little later than normal , and happen to walk by my medicines and remembered I hadn't taken that evening's pills while not thinking that I had just finished eating.

Congratulations on your medication reduction! I was banded 2/13/09. My blood pressure was out of control for a couple of years until now! I am hoping that my BP meds will be reduced or deleted for me too! I have only lost 34 pounds since surgery, but working on more. Good luck with your meds and new sleep study! Prior to surgery I slept with my CPAP, but haven't used it since 2/13/09. Good luck to you and your new life! LB

I have been having a problem too since my 1st fill last month. I guess I take too big of bites when first start eating and it gets stuck and then I have to run away from table...once I am finished with the slimming and throwing up I feel fine and go back to eat very small bites. I didn't have this problem prior to 1st fill. I am having to learn new eating habits and to be more relaxed and not so rushed when eating a meal. Its hard to break old habits, put can be done with time!

Congratulations on your medication reduction!

Thanks, As of Friday I am no longer on Blood pressure Medicine at all. sleep doctor says after another 15-20 that my sleep apnea will probably be gone.

Billoh that is great about the blood pressure meds and that your sleep apnea will be gone! Way to go!

I had a hard time remembering small bites and small amounts of Water too. I was banded on 3/27. I really made an effort to only pour a small amount of Water in my glass to start with, or put a small portion on my plate. That helped me at first. Also, I made an effort to take a bite, then get up from the table, walk away, and do something else. Those 2 things have really slowed me down. However, I am newly banded, so maybe others can suggest more.

keep up the good work!!