Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will be banded Jan 27th

My operation day s set for Jan 27th and I couldn't be more excited. I have told very few people about my surgery and I cannot help but feel a little embarrassed about people finding out. I live in a very small community and I can already feel people judging me. Has anyone else felt this way? If so what you suggest is a good way to get over what other people think? Also hoping for some advice for the first few weeks after surgery??

Hi There

I am being banded on the 27th of Jan also so I wish you all the very best. Don't worry about what other people think after all you are doing something for you not them. I have told very few people also but once they start to notice then I won't mind letting anyone know. Really some people get their wrinkles and boobs fixed so why can't we sort our weight out it's less vain anyway.

Kristiner

I'm actually being banded the 26th. If anyone asks how you lost your weight and you don't want to tell them about the surgery.. just tell them that it has been alot of hard work and cutting down on portion size-- it's the truth- right! Good luck and have success!!!:thumbdown:

Hey, I am set for the 27 also. I can't wait. I have not told alot of people not even mom. I don't people to be judgmental and mom would be the first. Keep in touch. I will add you to my friend list so I want forget. My surgery is at 12 noon. Slowly starting my diet. Good luck.

who cares who knows and what they say remember you are doing this for yourself and let all those people that are judging you be your motivation to suceed. jan. 28 is my day and i have told everyone that will listen hahahaha GOOD LUCK

Thank you! I know that I shouldn't care what people think but some reason it's always in the back of my mind.

Hi There!!! I am also set to be Banded on the 27th. I understand what you mean by not telling people. When I started to tell everyone what I was going to do, they would tell me that I did not need it or that I just needed to diet and exercize. I just that the past 25 years of doing just that did not matter to them.

I have learned to take it with a grain of salt. Until people walk a mile in your shoes they will never understand. If you don't want to tell them that you have the band in place then don't. Just tell them that you are working hard to improve yourself with diet and exercize!!!!

Good Luck on the 27th.

I will banded on the 27th as well!! I've told quite a few people and they have been really supportive. The people that I haven't told are the ones I think won't be as supportive. I really don't care what anyone else thinks because I'm doing this for me and not them. I'm the one whose suffering from knee/foot pain and getting short of breath from walking a flight of stairs. If they don't like it, then they don't have to hang around.

I'm getting banded on the 27th also! :) I have survived 4 days of the pre-op diet successfully. I've been strictly following the 2 Protein Shakes & 4oz Protein per day with some Jello and broth. The first two days were fairly easy but the past couple have been very tough...it doesn't help my kids have been home from school due to the extreme cold weather. :( Seeing the weight come off is the best part of this diet! :)

Good luck everyone who's being banded!

Hello Everyone! I am also scheduled for the 27th and I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one who feels this is a very personal issue and not comfortable with sharing this information with others. My husband, son and daughter-in-law are "in the loop". That's it. Tomorrow I am supposed to be at a mentor luncheon and I have no idea how I am going to get through it. I will figure something out, I am sure.

I have to admit I am not doing as well on the liquid diet as I had hoped I would. I am adding teeny tiny pieces of baked chicken breast to the broth. I am starting out with a BMI of 36 so I hope my liver is in pretty fair shape to start with and isn't an issue.

It's so odd how some surgeons don't require their patients to do any pre-surgical diet and others are so strict. Kind of frustrating and it just makes me wonder why the difference.

One week from tonight we will be on the other side of this and the anticipation about the surgery will be behind us. :tongue:

I wish you all an uneventful surgery, a speedy recovery and a nice smooth road towards your goal.

My DH, BFF and mother know I had lap band surgery on January 13th. Everyone else was told I had a hernia surgery. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! Don't need to be judged or scrutinized as I work to lose weight. I don't need the pressure of feeling I have to lose a certain amount by a certain time. I also don't want lots of nosey questions.

Hi Adamsmom - Thanks for the understanding. I agree, I don't want a ton of questions. It's amazing what people will ask these days isn't it? How are you doing since your surgery? You are over a week post-op and I hope you are doing well.

I too will be banded on the 27th!!! I'm excited and scared too. I have only told a few trusted people at work. The rest I don't trust not to make fun of me. After I start to lose weight I may tell more people but as of right not NO. I have told my family - they are very supportive.

Hi, I'm being banded on the 25th and I haven't told anyone, only my DH & kids. I would tell my mum but she will only worry so I will tell her afterwards.

Out of past expereince (I lost 84 lbs on Lighterlife, Soups and shakes diet) people are far too happy to give their negative opinion which I haven't asked for so I am not telling anyone as I don't want to hear it! I may tell a selected few post op but otherwise plan to keep it to myself in order to save my ears and my sanity!:thumbup:

Good luck to you. I am in the process of getting my consultation but I wont be telling anyone if I do get it done. My husband of course (he already knows), and maybe afterward, my mom (not before cause she worries and maybe not at all cause she is a gossip!). But otherwise I plan on saying "I finally found a diet and exercise program that is working for me" or something along those lines. It isn't judgment that really bothers me, I just think it is private.