Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

just under 12lbs to goal - but it doesn't feel like it?

Hi all,

I started with a low-ish BMi and have lost pretty consistently over the last 5 or so months since I was banded. Maybe that's why my head hasn't caught up with my weight loss.

I'm just over 11lbs from goal and I don't feel like it at all! I am wondering what will happen when I actually get there. Do I keep doing what I do and see where it takes me?

Or do I ease up on the exercise and try to stabilise?

I also have a PS appt on the 21st regarding a Tummy Tuck and I'm dead scared of being unfilled and gaining. And not being able to exercise.

I thought I'd be ecstatic when I got to this weight, but am getting anxious about a whole bunch of other things.

Am I nuts?

I understand completely how you feel.

While I was pretty jazzed to get to goal, that excitement only lasted a couple of days. I was so glad that I had made my weight loss about more than just losing weight. I had set myself other non weight loss related goals (improving my running, running a few 5k's, other personal goals)

It made the transition into "normal" life so much easer. Now over 2.5 years later, I can say that while getting to goal was an achievement, it isn't the biggest and best, I have so many other things to be proud of.

Perhaps, finding something else to focus on, another goal, will help to make this victory sweeter for you. Give you something else to focus on, so the things you are worrying about won't be at the forefront, if you get what I mean.

I do get what you mean Chickie. I have spoken to DH about it today, about how I feel like I'm going to be missing something when I no longer have to a 'goal' to strive to, and he reminded me that that was when I start living. But right now, I'm not sure what that means. I guess I'll have to figure it out when I get there. I HAVE started running, though. Actually I started today on the couch to 5k. I'm hoping that striving to that goal will help take the focus off the weight-related goals. It's interesting though, that after the masses of cycling I do, the running has me sore all over, and I barely rose a sweat!

Jack, I have kept a few pieces of my old clothes, and I tried them on when I read your post. It seems surreal that I can now just about fit in one leg of my old work pants. It's gratifying, but even then, it somehow still doesn't seem real, if that makes sense. I guess time will tell as to how I cope with getting to goal. I might hang out in the forum for a bit, see how everyone else's has adapted... :thumbdown:

Congrats on the running. And I guess it's pretty normal to be sore...

I got a bike (a fixer-upper from an old bloke on Bribie Island for $35, it was a bargan) and just got around to buying a helmet and taking it for a test drive today. Holy crap am I sore. Granted, I came hone from a fairly intensive ride (with the boy-child teasing me the whole way) and jumped on the treadmill for for 10 minutes as soon as I got home, but I imagine I would be this sore regardless.

One of the many truism in life is that goals are made to be broken.

Since you made your goal to weightloss, if you don't think you've gone far enough, then keep going. If when you lose those last few pounds, you are happy... then start your maintenance program.

They're your goals, and they can be stretched more than a fat-man's sweatpants. You make the call.

I think I understand. Being so close to the end I have this feeling of 'now what'? My biggest fear is that I will get lazy and gain. Like other posters said, I think it will be best, for me, to have a goal in mind like a body fat ratio or something similar. Just to have something to focus on to keep it together. I have been in the losing mode for over a year now, it has occupied my thoughs for a goodportion of every day as I consciencly make decisions that will facilitate my weight lose. Having that end is just scary.

One of the many truism in life is that goals are made to be broken.

Since you made your goal to weightloss, if you don't think you've gone far enough, then keep going. If when you lose those last few pounds, you are happy... then start your maintenance program.

They're your goals, and they can be stretched more than a fat-man's sweatpants. You make the call.

I have been thinking about this. I actually don't think a set 'goal' weight is what I should be striving for. What I think I would prefer is to keep eating well and exercising, and allowing my body to decide what my maintenance weight should be. With that sort of mind-set, I guess I just keep doing what I do, and see what happens.

gingerbug, I think you put into words what I was feeling much better than I did. I guess I am wondering what to do once the process of trying to lose is over, in that I have lived and breathed this for the last 5 months.

I also am anxious that if I start 'living' like my husband suggests, and effectively take my eye off the ball, that I will start gaining too. I've been really lucky that I was lost very consistently. I keep waiting for the bubble to burst.

Chickie, I can bike ride hard for an hour without feeling at all sore the next day now. 30secs running alternating with 90secs walking for 20 mins, which didn't even raise a sweat, has me near comatose today! Lol!

I have been thinking about this. I actually don't think a set 'goal' weight is what I should be striving for. What I think I would prefer is to keep eating well and exercising, and allowing my body to decide what my maintenance weight should be. With that sort of mind-set, I guess I just keep doing what I do, and see what happens.

nice to see this post & i love all the responses.

i have struggled for quite a while to call out "goal" - because in my mind i've thought once i'm done - what next?

well i did this wkend decide i am "done" losing weight and my job is to do what you state lellow - let my body determine where i should be.

i'm going to keep up with the eating habits & exercise that got me lower than my surgeon thought i could and SMELL the roses!

i guess i need to kiss someone that PS is not required ... i wish you well on your upcoming surgery!