Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Gone....Pocket Book Empty...Feeling Blue but Healthy

Guest Sonnie

Guest Sonnie

Hi all,

I just need to cry on someone's shoulder and feel sorry for myself for just a bit.....then I plan to recover and deal.

I was on this site a few weeks ago asking for advice regarding horrible acid reflux, vomitting (day and night) and 24-hour a day stomach pain. I have had the band for 6 months, but the last 2 1/2 have been really horrible. Somedays I could eat, some days I could only handle liquids, and somedays I couldn't keep anything down. Well, last week I went days without keeping food or Water down. I had an endoscopy and by that afternoon the band came out. My stomach opening was so small that nothing was going down. Physically I am soooo much better. All the pain, symptoms, etc are gone and I feel great. Emotionally I am sad, frustrated, angry, and scared. I am now another $8200 in debt (on top of the $14,000 I am still paying for the original surgery). My surgeon was great and did not charge me a penny for the removal. The hospital on the other hand took every penny left on my credit card. I am frustrated because I thought I had come to a lifetime solution to my lifelong problem that has affected my self esteem all my life. I am scared because I am afraid I will gain the weight back because I have failed so many times in my life. The whole thing just really makes me angry.

Ok, I just needed to vent. Thank you to all those who gave me great suggestions and support when I was so ill. I know I must turn this negative into a positive and focus on the future. I WILL NOT GAIN THE WEIGHT BACK!!. I need to continue working on losing until I reach my goal by using what I have learned in the last 6 months.

Thanks again for letting me vent...........it really helps!!

Sonnie

Sonnie, Iam so sorry to hear you lost your band :P...Im sure it was very difficult for you. The possitive is You now have answers to your problems . I'm glad to hear you are feeling better physically. Emotionally it will get better too, each day that passes. Keep coming here for support, we are all here for you band or not.

You can do this and continue to lose if you put your minf to it, like you said just put what you have learned over the last 6 months to work for you. Somedays may be a struggle but thats when you come here for support and encouragement. Hang in there :D

I am SO terribly sorry to hear you lost your band. :( Was it due to slippage?? They were not able to replace or reposition? I truly wish you the very best, but most of all I'm glad you are feeling better..

I am so sorry to hear that you lost your band. I once heard (on Dr. Phil or something probably - I'm addicted to self help tv) that it takes 3 weeks to create a new habit. You had 6 months to create some new habits that will hopefully help you keep the weight off.

You may have heard of this, and it is VERY Christian focused which may be a turnoff, but there is a program out there called the "Weighdown". It centers around listening to your body to find out when you need food, eating very slowly and savoring each bite, and stopping as soon as you feel comfortably full. I've often thought that it's kind of similar to having a band (without the leg up that a band gives you of course). At any rate, my sister has had some luck with it, and I just thought I'd mention it. Another important thing about it - no food restrictions!

If you're interested, you should be able to find their website easily by googling, but if you have any trouble let me know and I can find the info for you. It's a series of videotapes and audiocassettes.

Regardless of how you choose to tackle the remaining weight, I wish you the best of luck. I know you can do it!

Oh, Sonnie, I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles. But you said it best...you're healthy and that's all that really matters. All the best to you for continued health and a sunny outlook!!

Sonnie I too and very sorry but I see you know that your health is most important.

If the band was the answer to all of our troubles we would not need this type of forum for support. What do we discuss but diet, exercise and everything else in life. You can do this. You are not the only person to have ever had to get their band off. Act as if you still have your band, measure your food, drink your Protein shakes, stay away from sugar, drink your Water, sip, eat slowly, chew chew chew and exercise. We are all behind you. Anyone of us at any moment could have to have our band removed and if it happens to me I hope I can still get the band support. I love you and am feeling your pain.

Sonnie I too am very sorry to hear this. Please keep coming and posting with us, it will help you and us too. I would like to hear more about what actually happened to you and why it had to be removed.

Hugs and best wishes to you.

Sonnie I'm so glad to hear that you got a real answer, and I'm even happier that you were able to get it taken care of right away. Sorry about the band, but I'm more concerned with your health.

I know you know this, but I just wanted to say this, no matter what, you still make sure you come back here for support as you need it. You are still a bandster

Hi Sonnie, so scary and also hard to deal with : (

Do You have any advice for us about to have it done? Do you have any clue why you developed such problems w/ reflux?

Any advice about doctors or fills or anything?

I go to Mexico day after tomorrow and I'm hopeful that all goes well, but it is an expensive risk isn't it!

Hi Sonnie, something tells me I'll be in the same boat as you within the next year. I know how devastating that will be, but the only way to succeed is to try. You gave it your all, and you'll never be a failure.

Would you mind sharing the exact reason the band had to be removed? Was it erosion, slippage? Who was your surgeon? A certain percentage of banded people run into complications, and I'm really sorry it had to be you. Peace n' love.

As far as weightloss, my Band Buddie lost her Band last year and is still doing remarkably well on her own. Another one said even though her Band was removed, she still feels a little restriction from time to time. Keep your good habits, don't go back, and things will work out the way Mother Nature intended them to.

I'm so sorry to hear about that Sonnie but I would like to hear the reason that they gave you fro removing it as I am scared that I am having the same sort of symptoms for the last 2 weeks and they have only been getting progressively worse.

Please share with us what info that you can.

Guest skinnycecy

I Am Too Very Sorry Im Getting The Band Next Month, Why Was It Removed , And What Explenation Did The Doctor Give You That Is Terrible That Is Alot Of Money Well Im Very Sorry