Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK, yesterday i did my EKG and they found TachyCardia (fast heart rate) and then Premature Ventricular Contractions. What is pathetic is I am 24.

OK, so have any of your drs, seen this on you, and if so did they still go forward with surgery?? Im kinda scared to hear from my dr.

Anyone else get other issues in their EKG?

I don't have any advice for you but I have almost the same concern. I had an EKG done on Thursday (which was normal) but then when the surgeon listened to my heart he said he heard what he thought was a physiological heart murmur. I have never been told this before. Now he wants me to go back for an ultrasound EKG of my heart. I'm worried that this may cause problems and I won't be able to get my surgery on Feb. 2nd...

Hi Audsmom,

I haven't had surgery yet, but started having PVCs, a year ago. I was told those are usually benign and don't really cause problems. However, they are scary. Some people have them and don't even realize they have them. Have you had your labs checked yet? I am asking because when I had my PVCs at their worse, apparently my thyroid was low. When I was put on medication, it seemed to help them quite a bit. I do still get them every day at least once or twice. But, I have noticed if I cut my caffeine intake it seems to help a lot.

Also, stress can make them worse. I don't think you really have anything to worry about. Now, the tachycardia they might want to look into more.

I hope all goes well for you.

Tell your Dr that you would like to see a Dr. from Cardiology so that they can clear you to have the surgery. And after you have the surgery tell them you want an EKG in the OR to make sure that there were no changes and you want to stay overnight in the hospital on a floor that can monitor your heart. People have surgery all the time with a fast heart rate. Don't let them tell you that it can't be done. Keep me posted!

The BEST thing you can do is calm down about it. Only your doctor will know; he'll probably want you to do a cardio consult and have a cardiologist clear you for the surgery. PVC's aren't uncommon in young women and tachycardia can be caused by nerves. It depends on whether you have A tach or V tach and how extreme it is, how many PVC's you're "throwing", etc.

Again odds are a cardiologist will clear you! So don't panic, be calm, things will work out!

Did you drink any caffeine before these tests?? I was an EKG tech for 8 years and I know that there are certain things you can eat or drink like energy drinks or even coffee that will cause a fast heart rate. Caffeine will also cause PVC's. ALmost everyone has PVC's of some sort and they can be completely benign or hormone related. I am almost sure you are fine but your Dr may want a cardiologist clearance first. Please let us know what they find out.

I have a heart murmur, had the EKG and everything still went forward just fine.

There are those patients who are not well enough for surgery and then there are those who 'might' have an issue during surgery/recovery. They want to screen out those too ill and CYA themselves by warning those who are marginal that they may have issues if they move forward with the surgery.

I am glad to hear someone else knows what I am going thru. Do you have ur ekg on u? My rate was 101 (which i guess after 100 its considered tachycardia, so just wondering how high exactly it is.

I dont drink coffee.. i am under a lot of stress though, with my hubby about to loose his job.

Thank you for your response!:thumbup:

Hi Audsmom,

I haven't had surgery yet, but started having PVCs, a year ago. I was told those are usually benign and don't really cause problems. However, they are scary. Some people have them and don't even realize they have them. Have you had your labs checked yet? I am asking because when I had my PVCs at their worse, apparently my thyroid was low. When I was put on medication, it seemed to help them quite a bit. I do still get them every day at least once or twice. But, I have noticed if I cut my caffeine intake it seems to help a lot.

Also, stress can make them worse. I don't think you really have anything to worry about. Now, the tachycardia they might want to look into more.

I hope all goes well for you.

Ok here are the numbers maybe you know mroe about this then i do, im a bit lost:

Rate :101

PR: 168

QRSD: 98

QT: 396

QTC: 513

AXIS

P 42

QRS 40

T 96

On the last line where it shows the actual heart thingy i show one regular then the irregular. then 4 regular 1 irregular 4 regular 1 irregular 4 reg 1 irregular etc. So it is pretty patterned...

What other info would i need?

The BEST thing you can do is calm down about it. Only your doctor will know; he'll probably want you to do a cardio consult and have a cardiologist clear you for the surgery. PVC's aren't uncommon in young women and tachycardia can be caused by nerves. It depends on whether you have A tach or V tach and how extreme it is, how many PVC's you're "throwing", etc.

Again odds are a cardiologist will clear you! So don't panic, be calm, things will work out!

Thank you everyone for your advice, i hope to hear from dr baggs soon, I was dumb for going in on a friday evening lol i should have gone when he would still be in office. Oh well. I will keep yu all updated:D

You made me relax a lot.

edited to add: my blood work all came back fine today.