Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for Melbourne bandsters...

I know this has probably already been discussed somewhere else, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Sorry! :cool:

I was wondering who other people in Melbourne went to for their band and how much it cost (if that is not too rude)?

I was considering going to The Avenue as I have heard good things about the place, but I wondered if there were other good doctors and how much I should expect to pay?

So excited for the band! :regular_smile:

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Hey Tully,

I went to The Avenue and they were great. I have only been out of hospital for 2 days. My Surgeon was Paul Burton from the Centre for Bariatric Surgery and he was fantastic as well.

I have private health and my Out of Pocket Expenses were $3440 for the Procedure and $50 excess for the hopital stay. I know $3440 sounds like a huge amount of money - I ummed and aaahhed for MONTHS!! But you do have to take into account that all your follow up appointments are bulk billed for LIFE!! I am so glad that I have done this now.

We didnt have the money lying around - we skipped a house payment and extended our credit a bit to pay for it and it was all worth it.

Choose Life!!! DO IT!!

Megan

Hi Megsy,

I hope you're feeling good after surgery!!! Congratuations. :thumbup:

Thanks for the information, I have heard prices can vary between 2500 and 6000 so I just didn't know what to expect.

It certainly is a lot of money and I am not quite sure how I am going to come up with it yet, but I think it will be worth every cent and nothing is going to stop me! :thumbup:

Cheers,

Tully.

Hey Tully,

If you ring the Centre for Bariatric Surgery (95209520) they will tell you when their next information night is on. It is usually held on a Tuesday night at the Royce hotel on St Kilda Road.

During the night they discuss ALL aspects of the band pre and post Op and you can ask questions. they have success stories come in and speak as well. They also give you a book which has all the information regarding the Lapband and it is a great reference point. I was re-reading mine today.

You cannot see a surgeon from centre of bariatric without having attended the info night. you also need a referral from a GP. I suppose that weeds out people who aren't really serious.

If it helps to know, I was REALLY stressing about the money. One main income and 2 small kids,mortgage, blah blah blah. But I still went and saw the surgeon for the initial consult ($100) just to start the ball rolling and take the first GIANT step towards what I wanted to do. My surgeon discussed going on the waiting list which I did. His opinion was, that if I was going to have to wait until I had the money to go private, that I may as well go on the list for the off-chance that a spot appeared in the public list in the meantime.

What I found after having that first consultation was that I didn't want to wait at all and I researched EVERY possible way to get the money. One of the things you can do is access your Super to have the Op. I think it is a bit of stuffing around, but ultimately worth. The nurse at the CBS told me about it. At the end of the day, if a Doctor/s told you that you needed Heart surgery, you wouldnt think twice about finding the money! It is an investment in your future!! IT is not a vanity/cosmetic procedure - it is for your health. It took me a long time to get my head around it (I researched this for 18 months before I took the first step), but it is honestly the best thing I have done for myself ever.

I will now get off my self-elevated Lapband high horse and let you think about it!! Feel free to tell me to jam it if you think i'm a bit too full on.

SeeYa

Megs

I went through the Centre for Bariatric Surgery too and highly recommend them. My surgeon was Gary Crosthwaite.

The Avenue was a good hospital too, very nice. I find it fairly convenient to get to the centre for fills etc, although DH got a parking ticket.

Where are you based? I know there are surgeons operating out of Peninsula Private and The Valley Private too which may or may not be more convenient.

My out of pocket expense was $3,000 back in 2005, DH was done mid 2008 and paid $3,500. Everything after that is bulk billed so nothing out of pocket at all.

WOW Aquasky!! Why did you pay so much?? that is a huge amount of money!

My surgeon said they rarely ever do self funded surgeries, that they prefer you to join a health fund and wait the 12 months and they would schedule you the day your waiting period ends.

Good luck with the Baby too!! Do you know what your having?

Well I've been to the info night, got my referal and now my first appointment is with Paul Burton on the 4th February. I can't wait! My waiting period is up at the end of April- I am really looking forward to the second half of this year! :yikes:

It was nerve wracking getting my referal from the doctor today. I felt a little judged by my doctor and I could tell he didn't really agree with the idea of a lapband... I got the impression he just thought that I hadn't tried hard enough to lose weight. If only he knew... :wink:

Hey Tully, Well done!!!!! Paul Burton is my surgeon too. I see him on the 3rd Feb....I'll warn him that you are coming! :wink:

Did you tell your GP where he can shove his judgement??

Nobody chooses this surgery as a first option. Everyone has tried every other diet, program, medication before they start even researching Lapband. My GP didn't flinch when I asked for my referral. I took this as a sign of disapproval and asked why she didn't seem happy about it. Her response was 'good on you! best thing you could possibly do for yourself'. Don't let anyone else's negativity get to you. you are doing what is right for you!!!

Thanks Megsy, that makes me feel so much better. I am 100% committed to this and I KNOW I have made the right decision, but other people keep questioning me and giving me such negative responses that it is difficult not to take it to heart.

I just have to keep telling myself that this is going to give me the best chance of living a healthy life and I know what is best for me.

That is so cool we have the same surgeon, by the sounds of your experience so far I have nothing to worry about.

I know this has probably already been discussed somewhere else, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Sorry! :)

I was wondering who other people in Melbourne went to for their band and how much it cost (if that is not too rude)?

I was considering going to The Avenue as I have heard good things about the place, but I wondered if there were other good doctors and how much I should expect to pay?

So excited for the band! :ihih:

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

HI, I went to the Avenue. They were great and follow up is bulk billed. I was booked for a first appointment an a doc in Williamstown but they put it off from late August to Late January, for only the first appointment! My daugher went there and they a lot each fill.

The Ave charge from$3000-4000 but there are not more costs, even if you need more surgery, god forbid. My appointments are only 1/2 hour wait, mt daughter can be there for hours and hours.

I hope this is helpful.:wink5: