Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I went for my second fill today. After not being able to get it 2 weeks ago due to a stomach flu, I was ready! Last time it was painless, he did have to move the needle around to find the port, but it was no sweat. So, today I lie back, do my stomach contraction, then really sharp pain, then he moves around the needle. Can't find it. He pulls the needle out, goes and gets a pillow to put under my back, then I contract again. He digs around a while more, a lot more painful than last time. At this point I am getting a little panicky, did my port flip? Am I going to have to get surgery again? He finally finds it, but isn't able to get much saline out of it. He didn't say so, but I believe that there was less saline in there than he thought last time. So, he put in another 1/2CC, I can already tell the difference just drinking! I'm hoping that this fill gives me good restriction. This past week I was STARVING and it was a major struggle. So, it was a trying appointment, but it worked out in the end!

I would ask about how much was left from the previous fill. I lost .5cc from the first fill.

I have my third fill on January 14 and if there is more missing I will be asking why? Especially if there is a lot missing.

I hope your fill works for you.

My port still sticks out (I don't know if it's because my stomach is much thinner than the rest of me) but the Doc just grabbed it and stuck the needle right in!

Have your doctor numb you before he gives you your fill. There really is no reason for them not to numb you before sticking you, especially if they have to dig around for your port. And don't be suprised of you have some good bruising afterwards. Can you see the syringe when you are getting your fill? My doctor told me the saline that is in your band is blue, I have seen it. They take all of the saline out first then put everything back in. Also ask them for a list of your fills and how much they put in if you don't know.

I was watching the saline come out and go in and it was clear, not blue. I am definitely going to ask for some numbing agent next time. Any idea if eating a late lunch and then going to get the fill would have made it harder to find? I didn't think of it at the time, but wondered if that could have contributed.

My appointments have been scheduled in the afternoon the last three times. I try to eat a light lunch prior to being stuck because of the liquid diet for the next two days. The very last fill I got he found my port with no problem. The two times before that it took some digging and a few minutes. Left some pretty nice bruises:glare:. Hopefully it won't be so bad in the future. Make sure they numb you, it makes all the difference in the world.:thumbdown:

Eek! Your story has me nervous! I'm barely 2 weeks post-op, but already dreading a fill. Did they not use local anesthesia first? That's what they did for my mother on her first fill. She was running late for work on the second and had them fill it without anesthesia, no problem. I hope mine goes as well as hers.

I have had 8 fills, total of 8cc now. He did not numb me the first or second time(flouro) and He ask me if I could tell the difference. I could not. My port also sticks out and is pretty easy to see after 11 months and down 65 lbs. A couple of times he had to stick two times and I have had tiny bruises both times and is a little more sore for a few days. Not a problem. My doc normally, puts 2 cc in syringe(clear) and make sure he pulls out Fluid and then puts all but 1 cc back in. He has either give me .5cc, 1cc or 1.5 cc(early on). I am probably pretty close to sweet spot. I sometimes can go hours, like 6 before the hunger comes back. normally eat about 3/4 cup food and sometime get 1/2 slice Whole wheat bread down after. I have learned to eat, everything is chewed till liquid. No problem getting stuck in months, the fullness takes over now. Don't sweat those fills, they should be just a another walk in the park. As long as you do those liquid/mushies afterwards. :cursing: