Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insurance..Requires Weight Management Program

It seems like it's going to take forever to get this lap band surgery, First I have to go through a 12 month program..anyone else have to do something like this before weight loss surgery....my insurance company is Capital Health Plan (CHP)....I have a seminar on Jan. 20th to get this started....Doctor Jefferey Crooms of Tallahassee Florida will be doing the surgery .....anyone know anything about DR. Crooms.

I had to do a 6 month supervised diet for my insurance. It takes awhile,but hang in there. To be honest I think they do that to see how bad you want this.alot of people quit. My insurance let me use Weight Watchers. Check on that I used my primary care doc the 1st month. My insurance would not pay the visits. For me WW was about $50.00 cheaper than the Doc was per month. So I had to start all over after my 1st month. So be sure to check on that. I was banded wed. 1/7/09 after 9mo. SO hang in there. Its a long process,but it will be worth it in the end. M

Hello: It was last January, when I started the process to get banded and when it was done, I was banded in November 2008.

I have Blue Shield of California and they require a 6-month supervised diet. Not to mention several other requirements. Plus, I had to have a letter from my primary care doctor and I needed to complete all of the surgeon's requirements.

It is a long frustrating process, but well worth the journey. Don't give up... because you deserve a healthy life.

I just finished with my 6th visit with the doctor that my insurance required before I could submit for my surgery approval. My Dr. sent in the preauthorization today and I got a tentative surgery date for January 28th. I am almost here. I have mixed feelings with the long term wait before the surgery approval. I think that it is good for the reason it give u time to think if you really want to go this route to lose weight. My negative outlook was that I gained weight from the first visit to the last. The holidays and all the football games and wings LOL. Hang in there it goes by very very fast.

I also have to go through a weight management process before I can be approved for the surgery. I have Blue Cross with Oasis. They make you jump through a lot of hoops. I'm okay with that as long as I know I'm working towards a goal. But I would be a liar if I didn't say that some days I am so impatient! :grouphug:

I am also waiting for insurance approval. I actually went to my seminar class Dec. 1, 2007. Over a year later, I still don't have an approval. I have had to stress echo, sleep study, psyche evaluation, and have just finished my 6 months doctor supervised visits. After all this I am now waiting to see if Blue Cross of Georgia will approve the surgery. My fingers are crossed. I also have put on a lot of weight while waiting to hear. I am afraid that I will not be approved and have to start all over again. Wish me luck. Hopefully I'll be able to share my story with you soon.

This is my first time ever to post and I am trying to figure this out, so if I post this twice, sorry.:cool:

I am also waiting for insurance approval. I actually went to my seminar class Dec. 1, 2007. Over a year later, I still don't have an approval. I have had to stress echo, sleep study, psyche evaluation, and have just finished my 6 months doctor supervised visits. After all this I am now waiting to see if Blue Cross of Georgia will approve the surgery. My fingers are crossed. I also have put on a lot of weight while waiting to hear. I am afraid that I will not be approved and have to start all over again. Wish me luck. Hopefully I'll be able to share my story with you soon.:regular_smile:

It seems like it's going to take forever to get this lap band surgery, First I have to go through a 12 month program..anyone else have to do something like this before weight loss surgery....my insurance company is Capital Health Plan (CHP)....I have a seminar on Jan. 20th to get this started....Doctor Jefferey Crooms of Tallahassee Florida will be doing the surgery .....anyone know anything about DR. Crooms.

Dr. Crooms is doing my surgery on April 27th. I'm a nurse and have worked with him in the ICU. He is also a trauma surgeon as well as doing bariatrics. He is amazing, friendly, professional and has a great bedside manner. You will really like him, I've never heard a patient complain about him.

My only reservation is....I sure wish he didn't have to see me naked. :)

GL