Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Friday, January 23, 2009

Bandland here we are. I was unlucky with the gas as well, its up in my shoulders and walking doesn't seem to make it go away so far. I just started phase 2 a few hours ago. I can't drink much at a time without being full. I just had 1 1/2 of the bulest and earlier 1/4 Protein Shake. It seems like I spens all my time trying to get 64 pz in. He took care of my hiatal hernia but my liver was in the way to. He said he was able to fix it and since my blood platelettes were so low he took extra time in there. Being home in my own bed is much nicer. I came home on Loratabs and they almost seem useless other than making me sleepy. I'm glad we are all doind well. :w00t:

I feel the same about the loratab....it makes me sleepy but im not sure its working much for the pain.

Sorry to hear about the gas you guys are having. I am only having it a very little bit. My Doctor said that he tries to get all the gas out before closing his patients up so thats probably got alot to do with it. I wonder why all doctors dont do that.

I cant wait until tonight when I can have a shake. broth and Water is getting really boring. :w00t:

I feel the same about the loratab....it makes me sleepy but im not sure its working much for the pain.

Sorry to hear about the gas you guys are having. I am only having it a very little bit. My Doctor said that he tries to get all the gas out before closing his patients up so thats probably got alot to do with it. I wonder why all doctors dont do that.

I cant wait until tonight when I can have a shake. broth and Water is getting really boring. :confused:

How many ounces are you able to handle at once, I'm having a hard time doing more than 3 which means its taking forever to get my fluids in. The shake tasted so good when I had some this morning. So did black cherry Jello. I think hospitals get a deal on lemon and orange YUCK. He said he tried but I was poofed up a long time, I'm guess thats why theres still some gas in there to drive me nute. That and I've never been good at passing gas or burping which would probably help. Enjoy the shake this evening. I'm gonna try to increase the ouces in a minute and see if I feel less restricted. I know I don't want to throw up again.

How many ounces are you able to handle at once, I'm having a hard time doing more than 3 which means its taking forever to get my fluids in. The shake tasted so good when I had some this morning. So did black cherry Jello. I think hospitals get a deal on lemon and orange YUCK. He said he tried but I was poofed up a long time, I'm guess thats why theres still some gas in there to drive me nute. That and I've never been good at passing gas or burping which would probably help. Enjoy the shake this evening. I'm gonna try to increase the ouces in a minute and see if I feel less restricted. I know I don't want to throw up again.

3 ounces sounds about right. I am doing a ton of popsicles so I think that is helping to keep me hydrated. Just a bit ago was the first time I had something that was a bit thicker than Water and I do feel full.....well at least thats what I think I feel. I have a major tightness in my chest after eating.

If you havent already maybe you should get some popsicles.

We stopped on the way home yesterday but I totally forgot about popsicles. Seeing where we live I may have to wait till tomorrow for these though.

Hey guys,

I'm new here, and I just got banded on Friday as well. Saw this thread and knew it was the place for me!

I am happy to see that this hasn't been a cakewalk for everyone also.

I am almost done with the sore muscle achiness, its just this tightness in my chest (is this what bandsters call fullness?) that WILL not go away today that is driving me crazy. I've barely drunk anything today, except for about 7 oz of Protein shake, and it's left this horrendously tight feeling in my stomach for the past 4-5 hours. I sure hope it goes away.

I also agree with you guys on the lortab...all it does is make me sleep! So I guess I'm just going to take it right before going to bed to get some good solid hours in.

I hope recovery comes quick for all of us!

I am almost done with the sore muscle achiness, its just this tightness in my chest (is this what bandsters call fullness?) that WILL not go away today that is driving me crazy. I've barely drunk anything today, except for about 7 oz of Protein shake, and it's left this horrendously tight feeling in my stomach for the past 4-5 hours. I sure hope it goes away.

I was actually just wondering the same thing. I ate some really watered down oatmeal (which is on my post-op diet sheet) and I got this tightness in my chest. I couldnt eat it all but the little I did made me fel like that.

Then just a bit ago I had some broth and got the same tightness feeling. It was probably about 3 oz each time.

Any one else getting the tightness? If we all are maybe it is a sign of fullness. who knows. :confused:

They gave me a little one ounce container in the hosptal and said it should take 3 sips to drink, for me it took more like 6 sometimes 7. I've pulled them back out this morning and am gonna try sipping slower. It might take longer but hopefuly I won't feel that tightness in my chest.

Thanks for the tips. I drank about 4 oz of a Protein shake...SLOWLY.. (then the other 4 shortly thereafter) and that didn't seem to bring on as severe of pain.

I have to admit that the tightness really seems to be there all the time, its intensity in waves. Gas X has given me relief on occasion. I think I must still be drinking/eating too much too fast, and am worried about dilating my pouch!!

Honestly, today I didn't feel much better than yesterday, but I'm hoping we all feel brand new tomorrow!!

I used that little 1 ounce measure cap they gave me in the hopsital (same thing as they give you with most liquid meds over the counter) it caused me to sip not swallow and today was much easier on me. I had a shake, Jello, a bullet, Water, chicken broth, crystal light and baby food pears and never felt that harsh pain once today. I was also able to get my 64 in more easily. I did notice the one time I drank from a water bottle I drank to much. I had been using a sippiee cup before banding and thought I had the concept down but evidentally not for this time frame. It will probably be fine later after some swelling goes away but for now its me and my ounce container with everything, and taking about 5-7 sips to finish it

I am still having some tightness in my chest today. I dont feel like im eating a ton but I think I might still be overdoing it. Today I had a Protein shake (which took me about 2 hours to finish), a pudding, about 4 oz of grits, 3 oz of broth with blended chicken, 2 popsicles, 4 oz milk, and some Water.

Im addition to the pain in my chest I am also getting pain in my lower right stomach area. Sometimes it feels like liquid swooshing around but sometimes its just a dull pain. Anyone else experiencing that?

How do your incisions feel? I keep getting this stinging pulling feeling in mine. I wonder if it is just the healing thats happening.

Are you guys going back to work yet? What are you doing during the day?

I used that little 1 ounce measure cap they gave me in the hopsital (same thing as they give you with most liquid meds over the counter) it caused me to sip not swallow and today was much easier on me. I had a shake, Jello, a bullet, Water, chicken broth, crystal light and baby food pears and never felt that harsh pain once today. I was also able to get my 64 in more easily. I did notice the one time I drank from a Water bottle I drank to much. I had been using a sippiee cup before banding and thought I had the concept down but evidentally not for this time frame. It will probably be fine later after some swelling goes away but for now its me and my ounce container with everything, and taking about 5-7 sips to finish it

my god! you can get 64 oz of water down?!? I could barely fit in 10 oz today. And all of that food? I am really starting to worry that something is wrong with me. When I was just out of the OR Dr Spivak tolk me I had some abdominal adhesions and I'm wondering if this is what I could be suffering from.

Colorado it appears you and I are in a similar boat. I'm glad you posted so I know i'm not the only one going through these horrendous feelings. I'm definitely getting that liquidy swooshing dull pain. My incisions aren't too bad, he used dermaband so I'm hoping they heal accordingly. I am in school so I went today...it's not easy when you don't plan on telling anyone about your surgery and you're slowly hobbling around!

Anyone else have pain that intensifies upon inspiration?

Edited by hookemhorns

Yeah, I stayed home extra days because I didnt want to be walking too slow around drawing attention. As for the tightness you have, maybe some are more swollen than others giving u more restriction? Just a guess. still feeling great may go to work tomorrow or thursday.

Not necessarily all 64 ozs is Water, shakes, jellos, popsicles all count as water. I think the only thing I had since I came home that didn't count was sugar free pudding and when I found out it didn't count as water I didn't have anymore of them. I'm home around the clock right now which probably helps me get in 64 as well. Don't get me wrong its not easy but sipping crystal light out of a cup has made it a lot easier then when I"m hungry I have a shake and thos 11 count as well. By the end of the day if I'm a few short I know I will be waking up since me and loratab aren't getting along and drinking more. Is anyone else having trouble with Loratab?