Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks postop and problems

Guest cocoapresh

Guest cocoapresh

Hello all. I am new and having a few problems. One is that I need a fill and still can't get one for another 3 weeks. I am eating much less than I would have before surgery altho not the best foods but still gaining. I can't wait for my first fill. But I still don't understand how I can gain by eating less!!!!!!!!

Secondly, I have been having increasing problems with food getting stuck. Some have said PB but after reading about it it doesn't seem like it. I can get food stuck on the first or last bite, it doesn't matter. I do think that I should still chew better but not sure if that is the problem. My food gets stuck and the pain in my throat, not my chest. I have never brought the food back up but have tried to drink and I can feel that slowly come back up and I will spit it out and it will do it again until the Fluid is gone. Many times I can feel the food finally work its way down having the feeling of someting move in from my throat to my chest area and stomach. And yes, it is quite painful. I am calling the drs. today as I have discussed this with them before. But just curious. I was prescribed Flexeril right after surgery for esophagial spasms so maybe that could be another cause. I just don't know. I was just hoping to find someone with a similar experience.

thanks to you all.

cindy

Hi Cindy,

Hi and welcome to LBT! I'm sorry you're having these problems. You're still very in early days, though, and your difficulties may still be attributable to healing and post-op sensitivity.

Many people are still, at this point, on a mushy-food diet. If you're already on solid food your body may be telling you it's not quite ready for it. I had the same experience with food the first few times I tried it after the liquid phase, so you're not alone. My approach was to back off--the doctor's instructions are important but if my body wasn't ready, it wasn't ready! If you have any difficulties at all it's probably a good idea to stick with really soft foods until you're completely over the problems.

And you don't really need a fill, not yet. MOST doctors won't even consider giving the first fill until at least 6 weeks out from surgery to be sure everything is all healed up nicely. If you're hungry, go ahead and take what you need to not be hungry. This period is about healing, not weight loss. If you were only banded three weeks ago you may still have healing to do; there's plenty of time to think about getting a fill after you're comfortably eating solid food.

We all have been there...that time after surgery before getting your first fill. For me, I had a good deal of swelling, and therefore restriction for the first 2-3 weeks post op, but then my band was wide open. And it was during these first weeks that I lost the largest portion of weight, then I gained and lost the same 1-2 lbs over the next month. My first fill was at 8 weeks post op, and I struggled with hunger during those 5 weeks with no restriction, waiting for a fill. I questioned my decision to have this surgery several times. I received encouragement from the great people at this board, especially those that had gone through this before me.I know it's tough, but this is the time for your body (stomach) to heal from the trauma of surgery. My best advice is hang in there. It's great that you are eating less than pre-surgery. Just take it one day at a time, and try to make the best food choices that you can. Before you know it, you'll be filled and have some restriction.

Congratulations on getting banded. It is a great step toward a healthier life!

Corinne