Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can't blend it, can I?

I'm on day two of the pre op liquid diet. If I made vegetable Soup, I couldn't blend the ingredients to be liquid, could I? I have a family and I'm scared to try cooking a meal for them because I dread the urge to take a bite. I've been making them quick and easy meals, but that's not exactly healthy.

Anyone have suggestions for things that we can all eat?

Thanks!

It just depends on what your pre-op diet consists of. I was allowed to have 2 small lean meat/veggie meals per day on mine but it's just whatever your doc told you that you are allowed to have.

My pre-op diet did not consist of Soup, unless it was just a chicken or beef broth. I am so glad that is over. Did your doctor give you a list of items you can have during the liquid pre-op diet phase?

Honestly, my dr didn't give me a pre op diet. The recommended things were things I was going to do anyway - I stopped eating sugar and caffeine. However, since I just got my first fill, my dr said I should have liquids for a day. He said I could have anything, it didn't have to be clear, as long as it was liquid. I say as long as your Soup is more brothy than hearty, you probably could blend it enough into liquid form

But again, it does depend on what your specific pre-op diet is, so I'd call and ask your doctor specifically.

You need to do exactly what your doctor tells you. Seems like all preop diets are different, but each surgeon has his/her reasons. Mine was 2-3 of a specific shake, and then 3-4 oz lean Protein (turkey fish or chicken) and 1 cup green veggies...that's IT. No broth no Soup no stew. Water, 64 oz or more, but that's it.

So do exactly what your doc says.

I'm on day two of the pre op liquid diet. If I made vegetable Soup, I couldn't blend the ingredients to be liquid, could I? I have a family and I'm scared to try cooking a meal for them because I dread the urge to take a bite. I've been making them quick and easy meals, but that's not exactly healthy.

Anyone have suggestions for things that we can all eat?

Thanks!

Hi Kaytiebugs. I know it sucks to be the cook for the family and have to be on the liquid diet. However, remember the purpose of the preop diet: to shrink your liver, making your surgery safer.

I think "better safe than sorry". Try to follow as closely as you can to your doc's instructions for the preop diet. It's only for a little while, and you can do it!!

If the veges are allowed foods and the broth is allowed then there's absolutely no reason not to blend them together into a Soup. It doesnt make any difference really whether the food is eaten in liquid or solid form unless your'e adding things like cream or cheese!

Most diets allow green vegies in pretty much unlimited quantities. The trouble is its the pumpkin or potato that makes it taste good, sigh. But canned tomatoes can make a great base!

Also remember that its for a short amount of time... So if your family "not exactly eating healthy" for two weeks makes you that much more successful, I think they will understand, and support you. If cooking dinner for them is too much, ask you kids to help out, or make something simple. Even if its PB&J for them, if it keeps you on your pre-op diet, it will help. Like a few posters have said, if you don't follow the diet, sometimes you can't have the surgery. I would follow it exactly, even if it means cooking the meals for your family and forcing yourself to stay away from it. Yeah, I know, easier said then done. I have two young girls and a husband to feed.

I am terrified of my pre-op diet. I'm still in the pre-approval diet. The pre-pre-op diet... But I would rather follow it exactly, and have my husband and the kids back me up then to wake up on op day and be told I don't have my band because my liver is too fatty.

My pre-op allows for non-starchy veggies, so I've been living on Soups made with onion, celery, carrot and peppers, with a variety of spices. They also told me that later when I need to be all liquid, I could make the soups with the veggies as long as after I blended them I strained the broth (the broth then got more nutrients from the veggies) so I didn't get any solids.