Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise Routine Before and After

Hey Everyone,

Here is the deal I admit in highschool i was average size and really didnt exercise all that much .Now the older I got I put on more weight and tried exercising and got discouraged because exercising never really made a difference,.Then over time I found I was always hungry and just gave up.....

I was ready another post that if people are have a hungry feeling alot and are into exersising then the Lapband is a right choice for them.

If not then the Gastric by pass would be a more acceptable procedure for them?

I dont have a treadmill here and am saving for one. I walk the dogs daily -harder in winter but am saving for a treadmill. To be honest I know the band is a toll to aid in WL but I am more apt to exercise when some of this 236 lbs is off my 5'3" body frame for physical reasons and emotional......

What is your opion on this about the reasons for the different types of surgery and the excersie? How many of you didnt excersise before the lapBand but were more motivated to after ?How was your success or non sucess?

Thanks,

Melanie

Edited by mlm
added

I just want to add that I understand 110% that with either route(surgery) you take exercise is part of teh program. But I am wondering if any of you went from coach potatoe to really getting into the exercise?

Was there limitations/lack of motivation before your surgery?

Melanie

But I am wondering if any of you went from coach potatoe to really getting into the exercise?

yes, i got off the couch to have surgery - starting walking the day after wards and kept on going.

i'm an ex college athlete that got heavy in my 30's after i got married - i stopped being active while eating & drinking whatever i wanted, as in the past....only this time the lbs added on each yr.

i really never considered another surgery - knew i would have to workout, as i had previously to help get the weight off. i was more than ok with that. i went from walking daily to getting back in the gym, joined the couch5k program, got a trainer. i'm still doing all that except running, haven't been doing that much lately - it's on my radar..LOL.

i think the restriction that the lapband provides, along with consistent exercise allows for healthy weight loss - i also find it easier to make healthier food choices after a wkout.

good luck in whatever you choose.!.

Hey luluc,

thanks for your response. i sent you a private message.if you didnt get it let me know...

Melanie

Hey Melanie-

I was banded on 12/10 and have found I've been more motivated to exercise then before. I was a 'couch potato' I've been fortunate enough to walk on the treadmill at work.

I keep motivated by the 20 pounds I've already lost and keeping a nice eye on the finish line. This is a little corny but a friend of mine got me my first 'tiny t-shirt' I want to be able to wear it so I have it hanging in my closet where I see it everytime I go in.

I won't lie...I am not a huge fan of working out, I guess I consider myself a bit of a princess because I don't like to sweat!:) But then again, if I want to wear my new 'tiny t' and be healthy I know what I need to do!

Good luck with what you decide. I can honestly say the recovery has been rather easy and down 20 pounds in a month isn't half bad either :D

Right on Lyddo! I'm a couch potatoe but ever since I found out I was approved for surgery i've been working out. I plan on walking the treadmill as soon as I can after surgery. No pain no gain. Plus I want my body to not have as much saggy skin! LOL Good luck everyone.

I was ready another post that if people are have a hungry feeling alot and are into exersising then the Lapband is a right choice for them.

If not then the Gastric by pass would be a more acceptable procedure for them?

Well that person is entitled to their opinion, of course, but I think that's a crap theory. :confused: Exercise is strongly associated with success in losing and keeping it off for *all* the surgeries. I know a lot of bypassers (well, it is the most popular, so that's expected) and the successful ones all exercise -- A LOT.

Success with WLS is statistically associated with the following:

-exercise

-no grazing

-no drinking with meals

-no drinking soda (even diet)

I also think it's important to match the surgery type to your eating issues and also to make sure the post-op lifestyle is something you can live with. There are four surgery types and they all have their advantages and disadvantages and they all have a slightly different approach to how they work and they all have different post-op lifestyles.

Eating issues would be things like do you have a sweet tooth and do you want a negative deterrent to keep you on the straight and narrow? Are you a volume eater? Do you prefer an Atkins-type diet to a South Beach one? Do you have metabolic issues that keep you from losing weight easily even when you stick with the program and how serious are they? How good are you at taking pills and going to the doctor?

There are more, but these give you an idea of the kinds of questions you should be asking yourself as you do your research into what surgery type you should get.

Here's a chart that compares the four surgeries, btw:

Weight-Loss Surgeries Compared

I was also pretty athletic in my younger days but the most I did through my 20's and 30's was sporadic gym memberships in which i did the same kind of half arsed "fat burning zone" useless workouts that half the people in the gym do or walking.

Since being banded, i work out probably four times as hard as I did and I do it consistently and regularly - mostly running and circuit training. I consider "fun" doing thingsl iek we did the other day - walkign the thousand steps, a 2.5km climb up the side of Melbourne's Mt Dandenong.

But I'd argue that the choice ISNT lapbanding and exercise or gastric bypass and no exercise. Who wants to be a skinny bag of skin, a muscleless blob?. If you have GBP you STILL should exercise. No exercise = a pretty average weight loss result for most people, either it doesnt come off or it does and you look like a skeleton lost in a huge bag of skin.

Thanks guys for all your advice. I know that Lap Band is not a "magic soultion" I know it require work and exercise and will power. But knowing people were in the same boat as me with not alot of activity before teh procedure then afterwords they seen a light at the end of the tunnel gained motivation to work out...

I was feeling deressed when someone said oh no you have tobe alwyas active before hand. It is nice to know some werent.

Mel