Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't Get Back On The Wagon

Hi everyone -

I was banded in July of 2007 and lost about 120 pounds, give or take a few. I reached a plateau around September 2008, so I decided to diet like I would have if I had never been banded. I was watching what I ate, my salt, fat and calorie intake, etc. I was doing pretty well...was ten pounds from my goal...and the holidays hit. I did OK until about a week before Christmas. Someone gave me a gift of Fannie May candy (my favorite) and I thought it wouldn't hurt to eat some. Well, some turned into all, then I just went on an eating rampage. I work at a school, and during the entire Christmas break I ate pretty much what I wanted. I have an extreme sweet tooth and I satisfied it everyday. I gained ten pounds in about four weeks. Now that I'm back to work I keep setting myself up to start my "diet" again. I tell myself every morning that no matter what comes my way during the day, I will be strong and eat what I should, not what I want. But everyday there seems to be a new opportunity under my nose to eat things I know I should not...and I do it. Why am I suddenly so weak? Before the holidays I was exercising everyday (or nearly everyday), but during the break I didn't exercise once. I am back to working out now (yoga and cardio stuff), but am stiff and out of breath where as before I could work out without becoming too winded. This doesn't stop me...I like working out and do it everyday. But it's the eating that I can't seem to curb. Anyone have any advice? I almost feel ashamed of myself after I eat things I shouldn't such as candy, Cookies, etc.

Thanks for letting me vent!

~Sue

Sounds like you went into carb overload during the holidays. That got your blood sugar levels spiking and dipping which puts you on the craving rollercoaster. The only solution is to get the carbs out of your system for a while. It is hard at first but eventually things will level out and the cravings will be under control. Then you can start adding the healthy carbs back into your diet. I would cut out all sugars and starches: no sugar, bread, Pasta, crackers, rice, potato, corn etc. Eat lean meats, Beans and high Fiber (colorful) veggies with a little high fiber/low sugar fruits (apples, pears etc.). Always have a Protein with your fruit and veggie. Drink as much Water as you can handle. Do this for a week or if you can handle it two weeks then slowly add back whole grains and a few soft fruits.

Examine your Water intake. I, too, found myself gaining a few pounds (4) over the holidays. The first thing I realized was that with being busy every day for almost a month, I was not drinking the amount of water that I should. I, too, had started to eat everything and anything at any time. So I started making sure I drank at least 64 oz of water or non-caffeinated beverages a day. In two days I noticed a difference. I started eating better and staying satisfied. I not only have take off those 4 pounds but I have lost an additional 3. Go figure.

Ya you're on carbs/sugar overload as mentioned before. It's hard I know I am a huge carb fan... well my tastebuds are.

You're just going to have to dig down deep to find the will power to detox the carbs and sugars for a few days. You have come so far. You shouldn't beat yourself up because we all have our ups and down on this journey. You have told yourself before but you have got to stick to it... Tomorrow I will restart with healthy choices and work through it... each day should get a little bit easier.

I am glad you enjoyed your holidays though!

This might be rude of me but if I get a gift such as candy I graciously thank them and regift it to a family member or a friend that knows I am banded.

Have you tried the five day pouch test? It helps get the carb cycling to stop and gets you back aware of your pouch.

Best of luck!

don't put so much pressure on yourself, because the minute you tell yourself you can't have something you want it more. I'm not banded and I'm doing this journey on my own, it took me about 8 weeks to really get my food to a good point. I never told myself I "can't" have something, I would say I don't "need" it. I found though if I really couldn't stop myself from having something I'd eat half of what I would of normally eaten.

Gotta love weight loss, I believe the mental part is far harder then the exercise.

Good luck, you've done an amazing job with how much you've lost.

I read somewhere, when you lose "x" amount of pounds, reward yourself with a present that is not food related. I'm doing this now and it's great. After my first 6 week weigh in and measures, I did really well, lost 29cms off my body and 15 pounds I decided to go and buy perfume as my reward. Just something to think about

Good luck with it all

Have you tried the five day pouch test? It helps get the carb cycling to stop and gets you back aware of your pouch.

Best of luck!

what is the pouch test?

To Sue and everybody else who added to this post, I want to thank you all. I was going to put out my own SOS cuz I am in the exact same situation. I did pretty good up til the week of Christmas. Then I gained about 4 pounds and have not been able to get it off. Now I am afraid that I will gain even more if I don't get a hold of myself pretty soon. I work in a school setting too. It is very difficult as there is always something or somebody tempting you. I like the advice about just thankiing that person and not taking the gift. I WILL eat it and eat it until it is all gone. So anyway, my question was how do I get myself back on that wagon that I thought I was going to be back on? Cut out bad carbs, stabilize my blood sugar...anything else? I really need to do this before I slide completely back to my old ways. It's REALLY SCARY to be in this place! Any more advice from anybody? I could sure use it. Thanks to everybody. Pam

Thanks to everyone for their words of wisdom. I hope this doesn't "sound" wrong, but it's nice to know I'm not the only one struggling with this. Not that I want others to have this problem...I hope you all know what I mean! I managed to make it through today without eating things I shouldn't, so that's a step in the right direction. And I worked out this morning like a good girl and I plan to work out again tomorrow morning. It's amazing how I have avoided exercise all my life (I've been overweight my entire life), but now that I'm a more manageable weight (179 pounds), I enjoy it. It's so great! Anyway, I would also like to know what the "pouch" thing is. Thanks for all your advice and support. It was desperately needed.

~Sue

I too am having a hard time getting away from the carbs after a yummy few weeks (ie, holiday eating). My band is nice and tight, if I just eat right. It's the sugar/carb cravings that are killing me.

I guess a 2 week diet like atkins/south beach is what it's going to take. I had reached a point where I didn't crave carbs/sugar at all....I wish that I had never put another in my mouth!!

Oh well, you live...you learn.