Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My First Fill

I got my first fill yesterday. Good news was I have lost 30 lbs so far (11/24/08 surgery).

Bad news is I guess I wasn't prepared for what would happen in the fill. I watched this video that my doctors had sent me, but they seemed to have left something out.

There are different ways to do fills. My doctor basically does an upper GI kind of thing, where I drink barium and he watches how it goes down on a monitor. When they told me I could watch too, I shouldn't have.

The barium was sitting in my stomach, it was totally tight. I felt it sitting there and understood what the doctor had meant before my surgery about eating or drinking too much and wanting to throw up. It was an immediate feeling, I'd never been so nauseated in my life. I let the dr know, and he loosened the band. A little too late, I think. I started blacking out. I don't know if it was from the feeling of nausea or if it was from seeing my insides on the monitor, or if it was just from being nervous about my first fill, but I told the doctor I was about to pass out.

He loosened the band even more, and the moved the table I was on into a reclining position. The nurse got a cold compress and put it on my head, telling me to breathe slowly and deeply. My dr, sweetly, had his hand on my arm as he told me I felt cold and clammy. Haha. I told him that's how I felt on the inside too.

But it all passed. 10 more minutes lying there and trying not to puke, and I started feeling better.

Anyone else have this problem? The doctor said I wasn't the first, and they were happy I at least told them I was going to pass out because some people didn't give them warning.

Do you think the next one will be easier? Or might I just be prone to hospital gross outs. (Fun fact, the only times I have ever started blacking out or passing out have been in the hospital! Guess I'm just not a hospital person.)

Also, my stomach seems sore after it. Is that normal?

Happy Wednesday.

I am going in for my first fill next week. I am a little nervous, but definitely ready. I am back to my regular appetite (pre-band), which is not such a good thing. I'm ready to feel restricted. I have heard that people have had to go back on the liquid diet for a couple of days until the body adjusts. Has this happened to anyone?

8390f4d729962b7185e904fa13247689.gif

I actually have no idea how many cc's he put in. I know he said that where it was (after the initial restriction) was fine, but he loosened it a bit more anyway, seeing as how I wasn't feeling so hot.

He told me to stay on liquids only for yesterday and today, which I expected. I still have tons of Protein Powder, so it wasn't a huge problem.

Before my restriction I didn't feel anything either. My doctor told me a few times how people joked that it didn't seem like they'd had anything put in. I didn't overdo it, but I was actually worried I'd gained weight before my first fill. Basically for the same reason that I felt like I had the same appetite as I had pre-op. The difference is I've been making all my own meals, so even if I wasn't eating as little as I was supposed to be, at least it was healthier I guess.

The fill isn't really something to worry about. I just hate hospitals and procedures of any kind it would seem.

The fill itself didn't hurt. They put numbing stuff on my stomach and then did what they had to. But today, my stomach is sore. Not on the inside, I actually had anticipated feeling some sort of restriction inside, but on the outside. It feels bruised or something. Then again, he said it's still a bit swollen, which is normal, and it'll go down I guess.