Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1st fill at 3 weeks?

anybody out there have there first fill at 3 weeks? I was basically eating to much mush at 2 weeks and now I've gained 3 lbs!!! But I hungry..is this normal or am I the first lap bander failure....Please say it not so...Cindy

Cyndel...

Your not a failure!! It can happen!! I was pretty early on when I got my first fill too. I dont recall if it was three weeks or what but I definately recall Dr Kwon saying You need a fill ALL READY.....I was eatting way too much and way too often...Soo it is possible. You've lost weight too soo perhaps your band was too lose around your stomach. Dont get discouraged. I was banded on 05/05/05 and I have had two fills all ready. Thats one fill per month!! I go see Dr Kwon again on the 8/2 at 1pm....I have a feeling he is gonna jack me up again with some saline. We will see. I have been able to eat still, however I get things semi stuck. It hurts like hell, but it goes down, I have not spit anything up or PB'ed anything.......I honestly think the times I got stuff stuck was when I didn't chew enough!! We will see what happens to me when I get there...But as for you.....YOUR PERFECT!

Okaydokay. I will talk to you again soon!

TTYL

anybody out there have there first fill at 3 weeks? I was basically eating to much mush at 2 weeks and now I've gained 3 lbs!!! But I hungry..is this normal or am I the first lap bander failure....Please say it not so...Cindy

Nope, I don't think 3 weeks is too early at all. I was banded 5/23 and was filled two weeks later, then four, then six. I am up to 2.3 cc's in a 4cc band.

Sounds like you are doing great ! 24 pounds in such a short period of time !

Get the fill-you will be happy you did !

Wow, ya'll got a fill at 3 weeks? My dr won't even hear of a fill until six weeks out. At my four week check up my dr whole heartedly agreed that I need a fill but shrugged and said "sorry, not for another two weeks". I couldn't get in that week so I have to actually wait until week SEVEN to get my first fill.

Also, Cyndel, are you trying to eat more "hard" Proteins. I mean, mushies will always go down easily but harder Proteins won't. Maybe that will help???

Mine is the same wouldn't hear of a fill until 6 - 8 weeks post op. I am 7 weeks post op today and still no fill. I am hoping for this week or no longer then next. I think everyone is so different.

I really try to focus on protien first with every meal even Snacks. I find the more protien I have the less hungery I am. I am still loosing weight although it has slowed down alot, because I am eating more with no restriction. Keep trying, go back and talk to your dietician, keep a food journal and add up those calories you might be surprised how many you could still be eating. I know I was when I was still eating mushies.

Hang in there....You are doing great!!!!

Absolutely the normal protocol is to not give any fills until at least 6 weeks out. I'm very surprised that an American doctor would take a different approach, but I guess that's their prerogative. At six weeks the patient will be on solid food and will be able to really tell how much of an appetitie s/he has; soft foods will move more quickly through the stoma and therefore won't give a correct idea of how the band is working. I know my doctor's practice has people stay on soft foods through four weeks postop in order to guarantee the best possible chance for complete healing before solid food is introduced.

Cyndel, you are absolutely normal! Lots of people gain a little before the first fill. Please just try not to get too hungry; concentrate on finding protein-rich foods for Snacks because they will help you stay satisfied longer. Your fill will come soon enough and then you'll be on your way!

well you guys were all right as usual and that why I love this place...although the dietican said I would get a fill today...Dr kwon and Carolyn the NP said "NO" not for another 2 weeks and she said eat more solid Proteins and that should keep my appetite abay for at least the next 2 weeks...Thanks again you guys..Your all GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!

Cynthia