Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having trouble getting enough calories...

My hubby is in the soft food stage of recovery from surgery and while we are able to get the full amount of Protein in we are having a hard time getting him to 1200-1400 calories. Yesterday he had:

2 scrambled eggs with cheese and a banana

6oz catfish with 1 1/2oz

3oz pork chop, 2oz mashed potatoes, 2oz apple sauce

8oz yogurt

Protein for the day was 84oz (according to spark people) and calories was 1000. Can anyone offer suggestions for rounding this out better? He does not prefer the Protein drinks and I'm trying to get him away from them and into real protein which it seems we are doing just not sure how to add calories.

Thanks guys,

Christy

I don't think he needs to force himself to eat more than he can handle. The volume he is eating now is plenty this early on.

My surgeon did not focus so much on calories and measuring. He did want me to make sure I got 60G of Protein a day and take my Vitamins and Calcium.

If he needs more Protein he could reduce the fruit servings say 1/2 banana and add Peanut Butter to it, or drop the starchy potato and add Beans.

Thanks Jodi, it helps to know we are on the right track. He's been really good with getting Protein but I have been reading that having your calorie intake too low can cause problems.

I feel sometimes like I need a degree in nutrition. I just don't know what are good high calories and what is something that can hurt him. Maybe I'm over thinking the whole thing.

I'm off to the grocery store.

Christy

You are welcome Christy. My doctor told me I needed at least 800 calories in the beginning. I honestly don't think I could have done 1200-1400 right off. I think he is doing just fine...

And honestly....if it's ok for us to be on only liquids, then eating a couple hundred less calories while he's healing isn't likely to do any damage. NOT to countermand your doctor; I always thought of the calories as an upper limit, not an absolute MUST. ?? If in doubt, you can call and check with the nutritionist! :thumbup: Sounds to me like you're both doing a great job.

Thanks, this does help. He went in for his post surgery check-up today and we were less then thrilled with it. Basically it was with the nurse and she just brushed off any questions he had and said he was doing great.

Oh well.

Christy

Thanks, this does help. He went in for his post surgery check-up today and we were less then thrilled with it. Basically it was with the nurse and she just brushed off any questions he had and said he was doing great.

Oh well.

Christy

Medical personnel are human and do get really busy and can lose focus (NOT an excuse, just a fact) so when they do that...ie "brush you off"...STOP THEM! :)

You (or your insurance) has paid a good chunk of money for their expertise, not just the surgeon and his "cutting", but you paid for the whole package. Call back and ask. If the receptionist blows you off, ask for the nutritionist or the doctor. Don't let them "blow you off"....it's your health they are being glib with. If they say you're doing fine, ask "How can you tell?" You're the one who pays, you get to expect a certain level of service, even if it IS medicine.

Thanks Monkey, that does help. I hate to be pushy but I'm having the surgery later this month and am trying to learn as I go what to expect. I will be giving them a call later.