Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ate a burger two days after surgery

We accept both support and criticism pretty well here (personally speaking). If I put out a thread, I would want honesty. It is important that we support but do NOT enable. Please don't think we will get mad at you for expressing your opinion. I think there is an overwhelming concern for the burger person, because there really could be damage, and we want everyone to be successful. Sometimes tough love is needed.

Well said!

There's those of us that take the gentle approach and would rather hold your hand and give you a hug and tell you everything is going to be okay, and there's those of us that want to shake you and say, "What the heck are you doing??? Are you crazy???" lol

Both groups though, I hope you can see, just care about each other, total strangers, and just want to see each other be successful... whether with tough love or cheerleading.

I'm glad we can all be open and honest with each other here. :thumbup:

We accept both support and criticism pretty well here (personally speaking). If I put out a thread, I would want honesty. It is important that we support but do NOT enable. Please don't think we will get mad at you for expressing your opinion. I think there is an overwhelming concern for the burger person, because there really could be damage, and we want everyone to be successful. Sometimes tough love is needed. I just got yelled at by my dietician for having refried Beans 12 days out of surgery. I really hope they talk to their doc as soon as possible.

Not to change the subject - but what was the issue with refried Beans? That was my first mushy meal after surgery (although I was on Clear Liquids for 2 weeks so it was day 15 for me). I've had it one other time since then and enjoyed them immensely.

First off, I'm new so this may not make me any friends...

Second, give the person a break. I know, I know commitment, dedication, mental focus, what have you; but being a fat person, I understand, and being newly banded, I understand all the more.

You see the food you want to eat, in the amount you are used to eating it, and its almost like second nature, you do what you know. You have to mentally fight yourself to stay on track. Now maybe y'alls experience has been different, but 2 weeks out of surgery, i know I have had my slip ups, so having sinned, I'm not going to be casting any stones.

I know you guys are coming from a "tough love" honesty approach, but the majority of you just sound condescending , like you have never made a mistake or had a set back with this program.

I literally cried on Christmas because while everyone else was having turkey and pie, I had been banded 2 days earlier and could only have 1/2 a cup of Gatorade at a time. I don't condone the burger, and I don't even envy it, (and that is saying something) but I also would have expected empathy, not so much apathay, as if some of you yourselves had eaten a burger, hid it, and was taking your angst out on the person who had the courage to speak up. Maybe it is to early in the morning for me to be on here, and maybe I'm nervous about seeing my doctor today, but if I was feeling bad about eating something, and looking for support from people who were sort of in my situation, after reading some of the responses, I wouldn't come here.

Now is that going to run me off, naw, you guys are stuck with me because I know the majority of people aren't going to react the same way, and I think I need you all to help me help myself, but I hate to see people pile on, so...

Again, it could be the time, or it could be the hunger pains, but I felt that someone had to say something to the effect of, "I understand. This is a new phase in life, and there are going to be set backs, success, and mediocre days, but stick with it, and you'lll get there."

Some people did say that, and others...

I was banded days before Thanksgiving and was on liquids. I have not -- NOT -- cheated at all in the early phase of this diet nor since. It doesn't mean I won't cheat somewhere down the line, but in the first few days??

I know we are a support group, but what good does it do the original poster OR new bandsters to rally around somebody who did something so foolish so early in? WHY should we say it's okay? It's NOT okay. She asked for opinions, and she got them -- good and negative. So long as they ask, some of us will have the cajones to be honest. We do no service to anybody if we sugar-coat something this bad.

If somebody cannot break this habit so soon after surgery, then apparently they slipped through the cracks and should not have been allowed to get the band. This is NOT a magic bullet -- put the band in an viola, you lose the weight. You STILL have to follow instructions and work the band. If you can't, then you shouldn't have gotten it.

First of all, I'm the most compassionate person you'll find in regards to this. And compassion is one thing, but to tell someone who ate a burger 2 days after surgery that it's ok is irresponsible. Because it's not ok. I'm not chastizing but this isn't weight watchers, this isn't Jenny Craig, falling off the wagon is just not an option because it can do physical damage. You went through all that is required to get this amazing tool to help you improve your quality of life, you need to let it help you. Honestly 2 days after surgery food was the last thing on my mind. 6 weeks after surgery and without a fill I couldn't finish off a burger. I have to wonder if you were hungry or if it was emotional. You need to explore that for your own sake.

What's done is done, but you need to know that it wasn't ok, and so do people who are considering this or just had surgery and are thinking that they can just ball up the next day and eat whatever they want. I hope that you have much success with your band, you can do it, just give yourself a chance.

Not to change the subject - but what was the issue with refried Beans? That was my first mushy meal after surgery (although I was on clear liquids for 2 weeks so it was day 15 for me). I've had it one other time since then and enjoyed them immensely.

My guess is that since it was the dietician who did the yelling, it is because many refried Beans are made with lard, not a very diet-conscious food.

Not to change the subject - but what was the issue with refried Beans? That was my first mushy meal after surgery (although I was on Clear liquids for 2 weeks so it was day 15 for me). I've had it one other time since then and enjoyed them immensely.

Some foods require more digestion, and cause the stomach to "move" more, with the posibbility of ripping stitches. Every doc is different, mine says not refried Beans until the end of the 3rd week:thumbdown:

My guess is that since it was the dietician who did the yelling, it is because many refried Beans are made with lard, not a very diet-conscious food.

My dietician refused to talk calories or fat

, for her it is all about the texture and digestion.

Edited by als74

Not to change the subject - but what was the issue with refried Beans? That was my first mushy meal after surgery (although I was on clear liquids for 2 weeks so it was day 15 for me). I've had it one other time since then and enjoyed them immensely.

Yeah, I want to know too, what was up with those Beans? ha ha ha I know my grandma didn't make you those beans, so they could not have had a pound of lard in them! (I so miss my grandma's beans...:thumbup:)

(Oops, didn't read the comments that followed first before opening my big mouth again. Sorry!)

My thought on this matter is this:

1. Getting banded is a MAJOR decision.
  2. The pre-op and post-op phase is a very small portion of your life.
  3. You MUST follow the eating rules. This is vital to the healing process. Now that does not mean the eating rules you find on here. That means the eating rules outlined by your doctor and nutritionist. Everyone's is different.
  4. Call your doctor, admit your mistake, see what he/she feels needs to be done from here, accept the outcome.
  5. DON'T CHEAT AGAIN if you truly want to lose weight and move on to a healthier you. Do whatever you have to in order to avoid cheating. I have locked myself in the bathroom with a book and with Vick's under my nose in order to avoid the smell of tempting food (not that I am a saint - That is just one method I have used.).

I can't give you a pat on the back and tell you its okay when it's not. I will also not chew you out. That is not my place. I can only offer advice on what I think you should do from here. Be strong, be creative, and you will be proud of yourself for recovering from this mistake.

I agree with above, Im over 3 weeks from banding now and still only on oatmeal and cottage cheese etc.

One of the reasons that insurance companies can be reluctant to pay for things like this is there can be a high failure rate and they dont want to have waisted money.

It was emphasized to me again and again pre op the band is only a TOOL you have to be in control

I am so sick of people that make it sound like slippage is common. Its not. According to my surgeon, realize.com, and lapband.com the rate of slippage is between 3 and 4%. I had my first fill today and asked about it extensively. My surgeon said "you will know if you have slippage, its very very painful and you won't be able to digest anything. Quit worrying." Is it a good idea to eat a burger? no. duh. but we all make mistakes during bandster hell. I myself fell of the wagon thanks to some Pepperidge Farm Summer Sausage. It sucks. NOT you. Just pick yourself up and get back on the program (if for no other reason than to lose a few extra pounds this month).

I am so sick of people that make it sound like slippage is common. Its not. According to my surgeon, realize.com, and lapband.com the rate of slippage is between 3 and 4%. I had my first fill today and asked about it extensively. My surgeon said "you will know if you have slippage, its very very painful and you won't be able to digest anything. Quit worrying." Is it a good idea to eat a burger? no. duh. but we all make mistakes during bandster hell. I myself fell of the wagon thanks to some Pepperidge Farm Summer Sausage. It sucks. NOT you. Just pick yourself up and get back on the program (if for no other reason than to lose a few extra pounds this month).

And I and others are equally sick of people who brush off these things and try to tell people it's okay. YOU'RE not a doctor, and all of our doctors have put us on relatively restrictive programs after surgery FOR A REASON.

For a bunch of dolts to come online and tell others "it's okay because I did it" is just SO stupid that there aren't words.

Like I said, if some people can't even hold out a couple days or a week from surgery before they start hitting the burgers and ho-hos, maybe you should not have had surgery. The bad choices people are making that so many of you are saying is okay COULD affect a new bandster and make them believe that it will be okay to do it too. That can cause them harm.

I couldn't care less about the ones who have already done it because you made the choice and you've done it already. What I AM concerned about is the newbies you are affecting with your little rah-rah session over here and on other thread, and everything you say is based in total ignorance and a total inability to show even the remotest bit of self control.

My surgeon, in the seminar, shared with us a horror story of a patient of his who ate part of a tuna sandwich day 2 and was back in the OR with his band messed up. I personally wouldn't risk it. Not for a few bites of some food that I can have safely in a week or two.