Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

biggest loser - '09

True. My singing is legendary. Not in the good way. Anybody catch that one of the dudes had a gastric bypass? The doc pointed it out when they were reviewing a MRI / CAT scan.

I heard it mentioned earlier in the show, maybe when they were introducing everybody. He had an RNY, I believe. That is why for me, personally, I am against that type of WLS. Too many people re-gain with those types.

I Love the Biggest loser it make me want to go work out. :thumbup: You know that it can be done and that give some of us hope.

Oh, it CAN be done, but the program they do on TBL is not realistic. They work out for multiple hours a day, which no normal person can do.

Ron, on the biggest loser new season, has had gastric bypass and his stomach is the size of an egg. Howevever, he weighs 430 lbs. How is that POSSIBLE???? supposedly he didnt lose - me thinks he lost and regained...

Ron, on the biggest loser new season, has had gastric bypass and his stomach is the size of an egg. Howevever, he weighs 430 lbs. How is that POSSIBLE???? supposedly he didnt lose - me thinks he lost and regained...

Many do. They get good at cheating with slider foods. I knew a guy who had gastric bypass and was easily 450 pounds for the 2-3 years I knew him. He was down maybe 100 from his highest, but he used to BRAG about how he could eat ice cream in large amounts because it "went right through." :thumbup:

Okay, but they x-ray'd his stomach and showed it was small...like an egg. And, the doctor was saying that he never lost all the weight. Just some, then re-gained that plus some. The doctor also showed that all the fat was still in his liver, and around the heart. I guess maybe he lost some, but not enough exercise to shed the rest of it?

I know the show is, in the heart, just another reality show. BUT. I watch and get inspired. I don't snack during it, and I use it to remember where I was, where I am, and where I want to be.

I love this show, and I hated the back stabbing that went on last season because it distracted me from the real reason I watch it.

I'm glad it's back on track, with weight loss being the focus.

For me, it's the best fat person show out there. What other show on TV allows America into the psyche of the fat person? We're not just jokes anymore, we're real people with real issues, and for me this show hits home.

That's why I like it. :thumbup:

Okay, but they x-ray'd his stomach and showed it was small...like an egg. And, the doctor was saying that he never lost all the weight. Just some, then re-gained that plus some. The doctor also showed that all the fat was still in his liver, and around the heart. I guess maybe he lost some, but not enough exercise to shed the rest of it?

I know the show is, in the heart, just another reality show. BUT. I watch and get inspired. I don't snack during it, and I use it to remember where I was, where I am, and where I want to be.

I love this show, and I hated the back stabbing that went on last season because it distracted me from the real reason I watch it.

I'm glad it's back on track, with weight loss being the focus.

For me, it's the best fat person show out there. What other show on TV allows America into the psyche of the fat person? We're not just jokes anymore, we're real people with real issues, and for me this show hits home.

That's why I like it. :thumbup:

Glouc!!!

Where the hell have you been, man?!?

holy crap this season is HUGE (literally)... i cannot believe some of the (pathetic) weight loss that someone had - wont name teams due to possible spoiling... but OMFG!! work out and lose the freaking weight..

ok - enough venting.

i have found that while watching this, i have really decided that as soon as Joshua is out and i get the clearance from my OB, i am going back to the gym just like i was when i was losing big time.... if it means getting up at 3-4am to work out, so be it...

I thought some of them posted really pathetic numbers for their size, especially compared to the losses of some other competitors.

DH has never really watched TBL with me so he was shocked by how mean Bob and Jillian can be. He was like, WHY do these people do this to themselves? Uh, money? LOL I love to see their transformations, it is always so amazing. But then I also wonder how many will gain it back because the lifestyle at the house just isn't realistic, IMO.

I don't mean to offend all you fans, but this show seems a little.....exploitative. Still I watch, though....

Just a little? :thumbup:

Oh, something tells me you could identify with THOSE singers. :)

No, because I know I sing bad and wouldn't go on AI thinking I was the shiz.

That is why for me, personally, I am against that type of WLS. Too many people re-gain with those types.

Statistically it's about 20%. But statistically the EWL is better than the band even given the problems with regain. So if you go by how people do, well bypass still wins. I wouldn't get one, but not because people don't do well with it on average, but for other reasons.

Oh, it CAN be done, but the program they do on TBL is not realistic. They work out for multiple hours a day, which no normal person can do.

And then they go home and start gaining it back.

It's really sad to me. I know the inevitable conclusion and I feel like the show gives people false hope and reinforces the idea that the only reason we're obese is because we're lazy.

You can eat around any surgery. With all of them you can eat ice cream all day or milk shakes. You can also graze. Yes, you can only eat a little at time but there is nothing to stop you eating every hour or even more often.

Plus, with his weight, he might have been a better candidate for a DS. The RnY bypass only has about 20-30% malabsorption and there is a small window before the intestines learn how to absorb more (I think it's 12 months). DS bypasses more and has a longer window.

For me, it's the best fat person show out there. What other show on TV allows America into the psyche of the fat person?

Big Medicine!

Plus those are people I can relate to... they are going through what we're going through.

DH has never really watched TBL with me so he was shocked by how mean Bob and Jillian can be. He was like, WHY do these people do this to themselves?

Another complaint... I don't think they are actually that good trainers. You don't need to be like that to motivate people.

And you people will NOT suck me back into watching this show. You will NOT, you will NOT. :thumbup:

For some reason, this is the first season where (to me) the contestants actually look as big as their scale numbers indicate. Strange.

I thought they put the contestants through serious physical tests before the selection. Seems to be a hole in the procedure somewhere.

I think this season is going to rock. Seems like a very NICE bunch of people. I am totally jazzed and cant wait for next week.

I also wanted to add that I don't think it is exploitative - I think it shows the contestants and viewers WHERE they are physically - without that - you couldn't see how far they have come.

I love Big Medicine - Mary Jo and Dr. Lamonaco frequent the support groups at University General - they are so freaking nice and normal and what a great show. If you ever get a chance to hear Mary Jo Rapini speak - GO!!! I have paid to see her twice.

Is anyone watching DietTribe on Lifetime?

<offtopic>

You would have to drag me in handcuffs to go see Mary Jo. Maybe it's just the editing, but she appears to have absolutely no concept of the mindfrak that morbid obesity inflicts on people. Clueless, condescending, and cold are not useful traits in a WLS office.

</offtopic>

Mac, you're hooked! :thumbup: Admit it!

I have never seen Big Medicine...when is it on?

I know I'm excited to see what happens to the wls guy. I also thought some of them could have dropped bigger numbers.

I watched it last night with a friend of mine who was like, "No way...I'd walk out." But, I would love someone in my face, screaming at me to get back on the treadmill. I'd be yelling right back, but I'd get back on it. And, I really like Jillian, because she addresses the "why are you fat" question to her team.

Also, the commercials came on for 24 fitness and my friend said, "Who is that girl?" I explained that it's Ali Vincent from 2 seasons ago! I love that she's still working hard at this.