Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello from the Newbee

Hi Everyone...I am not sure if i should even be here BUT i am so there must be a reason. My name is Grace, i am 28 yrs old from the East Coast. I have struggled with my weight since i was a child, always been on the heavy side. Since 2002 when i hit the 200lb mark at 5'4, i decided i wanted to make a change, i started the Gym, Diets and Diet pills, the weight went BUT came right back. I have been at it since. I go to the Gym now, 3 times a week although i see no real results. I eat well and avoid Junk at all costs altho i do slip from time to time. I will be turning 30 in a year and i cannot go into my 30's the same way i spent my 20's and my teens, FAT and UNHAPPY.

So i recently decided to look into LapBand procedures for Weightloss, i was denied by my health care insurance BUT apparently there are ways to go around that. So now, i am in the begining stages of finding a doctor and that way of finding financing. I currently weigh 261lbs, i have some health issues related to my weight and aches and pains i likely shouldnt have at my age. So today, i found myself on this website, maybe for support, maybe for ideas or suggestions or maybe just to talk to people who understand what its like to be the way i am.

Thanks, Grace

Any idea why your insurance denied you? I checked and your bmi is 44.8! That should be enough even without co-morbidities to get you approved. If I were in your place I would appeal their decision and find out what to do to get approved. Yes, it will take alot of work, but it would be worth it. Get your doctors office to write letters and make phone calls. Have them document all your weight loss efforts.

I had surgery in November 2008, and I don't regret it for a minute. For the first time in my life I made it through the holidays without gaining 8-10 lbs. I know this is my year! Good luck to you.

Welcome Grace!

I, too am on the East Coast!

With you considering LapBand, this site is a great place to browse around! Read the success stories, the surgery day stories, etc... You will learn a lot, just like I did.

I love my band and have no regrets! I wish you all the best!

Cindy

Hi, I was denied by United Health care through my employer because they do not cover obesity surgery. I am looking into purchasing my own individual coverage through another insurance company. I believe this is my only hope. I have also learned that i need to be monitored by a doctor regarding my weight before i can qualify. although i have some health issues, nothing has ever been specifically documented as a weight issue. A part of me is very discouraged and afraid that i may not be able to get this surgery. I am not sure what my options are BUT i am looking into whatever will work now.

Hi Cindy, Thanks for the warm welcome. How is it working out for you so far? I am still getting turned down left to right BUT still trying. I cant help but be abit envious of everyone who has gotten it but still happy all the same.

I cant figure out what to do to get this surgery. My cousin also wants it and was denied through her employer, at 5'3 and 290 she is morbidly obese, BUT we cant seem to both find a solution.

Welcome Grace!

I, too am on the East Coast!

With you considering LapBand, this site is a great place to browse around! Read the success stories, the surgery day stories, etc... You will learn a lot, just like I did.

I love my band and have no regrets! I wish you all the best!

Cindy

Welcome Grace, I'm from the East Coast, NY!

I'm so sorry your insurance denied you, but you should definitely appeal the decision. There are a ton of resources online about appealing insurance claims, I think you should do some research and talk to your surgeons office - they might be able to help you more than you know.

Keep trying, eventually you will figure something out, just don't get discouraged!

If I remember correctly from the seminar at NYU, Oxford health care has the least amount of hoops you need to jump through to get WLS approved, so you may want to look into them if they cover you where you live.

Be positive and hopefully everything will work out!