Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help -- Kaiser: Will they pay for my band?

Hi all. I'm really confused and hope folks familiar with Kaiser Permanente in California can help answer this question -- will Kaiser pay for Banding? I went to an orientation on weight loss surgery at Kaiser, and they flat out said they would offer only gastric bypass, not the band, period. But one of the moderators on this site said that Kaiser will pay for it. Is that true? If so, how do I get around their insistence that I get the more invasive bypass surgery? Thanks!

Kaiser in So Cal only goes gastric....no lap band....my daughter was just approved to start the 6 month program but was told that at this time no lap band was offered would have to do the more invasive gastric. They (Kaiser) fells that the lap band does not do as good as a job as the gastric. Who knows maybe with time they will come around. I, also a Kaiser patient paid for the lap band out of my own pocket since I knew they wouldn't do it. Good luck!

I have Kaiser NorCal and am getting banded soon. They do RNY gastric bypass and Lapband up here. I am paying $15 copay for each pre-op appt and will pay $15 copay for my surgery.

That's crazy that SoCal and NorCal are so different. I hope they start covering Lapband soon!

Hi all. I'm really confused and hope folks familiar with Kaiser Permanente in California can help answer this question -- will Kaiser pay for Banding? I went to an orientation on weight loss surgery at Kaiser, and they flat out said they would offer only gastric bypass, not the band, period. But one of the moderators on this site said that Kaiser will pay for it. Is that true? If so, how do I get around their insistence that I get the more invasive bypass surgery? Thanks!

That is NOT true! I am currently going through the Options program through Kaiser Baldwin Park. Yes they do emphysis strickltly on the bypass. That is their gold standard. But Kaiser does pay for Lap Band/ Sleeve and RNY. Just get referred to your options program and start the classes. The surgeries are performed by UCLA = RNY and Sleeve

Pacific Bariatrics/San Diego= RNY only

Kaiser Harbor City = Lap Band only.

Good luck and be persistent!!!

I too attended orientation at Kaiser Van Buren offices in Riverside (So. Cal). They are NOT currently doing lap band. They refer to Harbor City and since there is such a huge waiting list they are not doing lap band at this time. I opted to go to Mexicali and self pay $7000 to have my band. I'm glad I did. Kaiser is handling my

follow-up care though and has scanned all the Mexicali records and films into my computer file. And now after surgery I get to see a nutritionist and have all the benefits that Kaiser Patients receive. I get lifetime fills for free in Mexicali which is only 30 minutes farther then Harbor City. I highly recommend Dr. Alberto Aceves in Mexicali. Brand new state of the art facility and the care is awesome. Price includes hotel stay night before surgery and 2 nights inpatient care and my husband stayed both nights in my private hosp. room with me. Very American friendly place.

weight.png

Banded 4/17/09 in Mexicali Mexico

I too attended orientation at Kaiser Van Buren offices in Riverside (So. Cal). They are NOT currently doing lap band. They refer to Harbor City and since there is such a huge waiting list they are not doing lap band at this time. I opted to go to Mexicali and self pay $7000 to have my band. I'm glad I did. Kaiser is handling my

follow-up care though and has scanned all the Mexicali records and films into my computer file. And now after surgery I get to see a nutritionist and have all the benefits that Kaiser Patients receive. I get lifetime fills for free in Mexicali which is only 30 minutes farther then Harbor City. I highly recommend Dr. Alberto Aceves in Mexicali. Brand new state of the art facility and the care is awesome. Price includes hotel stay night before surgery and 2 nights inpatient care and my husband stayed both nights in my private hosp. room with me. Very American friendly place.

weight.png

Banded 4/17/09 in Mexicali Mexico

That is so great that you were able to get the band. I have already chosen the facility and will be done with the classes in 2 weeks. Maybe things have changed since you went through the referral process or it might just be that each facility can referr only a certain number of pts, but 3 of my classmates and I have been (will be referred) to Harbor City for the Band. So as of today Harbor City is doing the band, but you are right the wait time can be up to 4 months. But they are doing it. The wait time for UCLA is 8 weeks and they only do the Sleeve and RNY. Pacific Bariatrics in San Diego's wait time is 4-6 weeks and they only do the RNY, but are in talks with Kaiser to start doing the Band as well. This is the information that was just given to us at my last class which was last Thursday 05/21/09. Just an FYI for those of you asking. I know that alot of centers are missinformed. The Kaisers here in So cal are all messed up. But I have already waited a year, whats another 4-6 months for my band, especially since I cant afford it any other way. Good luck to you all!!