Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My name is Sherry, I am obese, I am ready for a change.

Hi, I am from Marshall County (Arab) and my doctor has suggested the Lap Band to me. He says he has the six months needed for the requirements since I have been trying to lose weight for literally "forever".

I have had all kinds of issues with digestive problems, joint pains, reflux, high blood pressure, etc, etc. Doc says it will all be alleviated with weight loss.

I am also ready for a breast reduction which doc says would be relieving my back pains and shoulder pains. In order for my insurance to pay for it, I have to lose about 25 or more pounds in order to get the size I want. I don't want to be so small that all you see is my stomach, however if I lose my stomach..... So, I have an appt with my regular MD on the 19th and we will be discussing it in depth on that day and he will refer me.

Does anyone else have United Health Care Insurance?

I am considering Dr. Groves. I know someone that went to him and is having great success.

I am around people all day that eat any and everything that they can or want to eat. It is disgusting, actually. :)

I have great expectations since I would just as soon not eat as to eat most days. My metabolism is little to nothing. I have a tread mill and need to put it to use.

As of right now, I weigh 247 :mellow: That is so sad.

I hate that number. Last Feb I weighed lots less than that... heck, last summer I weighed about 20 lbs less.

Then things happened, for two months my tread mill was stored out of the way for a house guest that just went home last week (mom in law). I am ready for the new year, I am ready for a new me.

My name is Sherry, I am obese,:thumbup: I am ready for a change.

weight.png

Hi Sherry

This is my first post, I have been a lurker for a while now. I have

my January and February appt to go to than my doc will be

submitting all my info to United Health. I needed to have 6 visits

in a 2 year period. I weigh 370 and have to lose 30 before

I can get lap Band. I am so tired of being this size that I think

about the new life to be all he time.

Welcome to the forum, nice to meet you.

I wonder if it is different for everyone or if they want you to lose thirty regardless before surgery. I am afraid thirty will make my bmi be less than forty.

I am confused.

Thanks for your reply though. Let's keep in touch.

I wonder if it is different for everyone or if they want you to lose thirty regardless before surgery. I am afraid thirty will make my bmi be less than forty.

I am confused.

Thanks for your reply though. Let's keep in touch.

Good question because insurancesays that you have to have co

Morbities of under 40 bmi.

I think it's to get some fat off of the liver for an easier surgery,

but I also think it a good faith loss to show you are compliant.

Hi Sherry,

I am also obese and looking for a change. I have so many health problems just cant take them anymore and really want to see my children grow old together. Me and you are the same weight. I was smaller until I had my second daughter 19 months ago and then after having her I just keep going up in weight. Now I am ready for a change so I can see her grow up and to have more children. It is hard to do anything with them with out loosing my breath. I have united Health Care also but will have Medicare in Feb so wanting to see what coverage each of them have.

Hi Sherry,

Dr Groves is my doctor. He is great and has had lap band himself so he really understands what it is like. I had my surgery last january and have never regretted it, I would do it again in a heartbeat if I had to...it is SOOOO worth it! I just wish I had done it years ago.

Thank you so much for your replies! I love this place!

I am going to call my insurance company today to see if they cover it. I want to see my doctor before the 19th, now that I found this place, I am anxious to get on with it.

How do you handle others telling you that you are taking the easy way out? Seems like the easy way is to say you are on a diet and then eating whatever you want anyway.

lol

I hope this is right for me. I hope Dr. Groves will take me.

Hope...that is what I have. Just "hope" I also have the courage to go through with it.

I just called my Insurance. They told me that I have to have documentation of five years. Then I called my doctor and I have only been going to him since Nov. of 2005.

This is the first hurdle. I did make an appt to consult w/my doctor this afternoon at one. I don't want to start this if it is not possible. I do not want to get my hopes up.

*sigh*

Hi Sherry! I have United Healthcare and had to provide the 5yr history. Although I have always been obese I have never really had to go to the Dr. So I ended up having to write a letter asking them to authorize my surgery. That may be something you might want to start composing--just in case. I explained my history and added some technical information but the majority was me being personal and putting it all out there. I didn't talk to them on a Dr-patient level but on an emotional, human level. I got approved the first time.

But, if you aren't willing to jump through hurdles and fight for a healthier you then you probably wouldn't be thinking about this major change. Don't let the fear stop you from fighting for your life. Because ultimately, that's what this is a battle for a healthier you. It isn't that easy. So the question is to you. Are you really ready to make a change and go through the process for better or worse?

Please don't take this as rude. I am just being real.

Cheryl

I have United Healthcare and I had to fill out a huge packet of information -- 5 year history. With the help of my primary care physician and the nurse at the surgeon's office, we got it all completed. It was well worth the time and effort.

I love my band!

Cheryl, I did not take it as you being rude, but being honest.

I do want this enough to fight for it. I do not mind going beyond a few phone calls to get it either.

Before my doctor's appt today, I called the insurance and got the requirements, then got the date of my first appt with my doc. So, finding out it was in Nov of 2005, I knew that wasn't enough.

I called my Dr. from back home. I saw him for three years. He had me on a diet even, but no where in those three years worth of papers was anything about how much I weighed! Nothing.

I was amazed, to say the least.

My OBGYN that delivered my youngest in 1996 had retired, but the doc that didn't keep records told me all his patients were transferred to another doc and she gave me the name. So, I called his office.

No, I was told they did not have my records. I didn't "pay" to have them transferred, therefore they were probably destroyed. Okay....

So, I called the surgeon I thought of when I was on hold with the OBGYN. This Dr. did my hystorectomy in 2000. SO, I looked that number up, and was ready to call when the OBGYN told me that they couldn't help.

So, I called that doctor. :wink_smile:

Yes, they did have my record. Yes, they had my weight on the first page of my form, Yes they would not have any issues with faxing it to me.

And she did.

I took it with me. Funny thing is, I weighed five lbs less than I did today at the doctor's office. Okay, that isn't funny, since that was 9 years ago.

But my Doc says he doesn't see an issue w/me getting approved with all my medical problems.

I do not mind writing a letter. I can do that. I wouldn't really know where to begin, but I can do that.

I have never been thin, I have never wanted to be skinny.

I want to be healthy now. I hate having to take meds, I hate having the meds not touch what is wrong with me.

Doc says the weight loss is well documented in his office and he knows this is the right step for me. He said he was going to push to get it done quickly so that I won't change my mind. He says he is afraid I am giving up.

I have shown disappointment in myself. I know I have. I am very disappointed in me.

SO, here I am. I have called Dr. Groves office. I do not mind waiting on her to call me back. :thumbup: Gives me more time to think about it. Which is what my doc didn't want me to do.

Maybe it won't be long before I hear something.

My fingers are crossed that whatever happens is the right thing for me. I will fight it till there is nothing left to do if they turn me down.

I need it. I want it.

Yes, I am ready for a change.

Thanks for your replies.

7_5_142.gif Hello Sherry. My Dr. is Dr. Groves. He is the best! I love him and his partner Dr. Britt. Dr. Groves has the band so you can ask him anything! Dr. Britt did his band. Gr. Britt is funny and kinda cute. LOL But seriously they are top notch Dr.s and a great staff.

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb112&pp=ZRxdm609NVUS

Sherry, that is exactly the attitude that is needed! I know things will work out for you. Anything at all, as far as records is concerned, is what they are looking for. From what I understand they basically want to make sure this isn't something that happened in the last couple of years. The fact that you have records from further than 5yrs should be helpful as well.

When I wrote my letter I started with the facts. I gave them my weight or lack there of because it was hard finding a scale that went up that high. I described joint pains and different struggles and different methods of weightloss I had tried. Just be as honest as possible.

I started this process weighing 404lbs. As of today I weigh 369. I attribute the most recent 8 to the band since I just go it Wednesday and lost 8lbs between then and today.

Don't ever be disappointed in what you haven't done. Be positive in what you are going to do.

This point is where we learn patience. Having time to think this decision through is good. Whatever decision you come to is going to be the right one for you. Just believe in that.

Best of Luck

Cheryl

UPDATE:

I waited most of the morning waiting on the phone to ring and ended up finally going to lunch at home. I did not even check the answering machine at home because I didn't want to push it..thinking they had called when I specified they call my cell. LOL

So, watching Design on a Dime, I popped a piece of celery in my mouth and the phone rings and it is Dr. Groves office!

I have an appt for Jan. 28th. I have to go to the seminar on the 15th!

I just need that five years of documentation. I am working on that now. I happened to think about visiting Med Assist in 2004. Just don't remember if they weighed me or not.

Wish me luck!

Thanks to everyone who has replied.

Sherry