Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! I am so glad I found this online because I am having my surgery on Tuesday January 6th 2008 and I am scared to death. I was in the shower just now and started to panic a little. I'm not sure if I can do this, I've never had surgery before and I know I need to do it but I am really nervous about the entire thing. I've been a "big girl" my entire life and I'm ready for the change but I can't explain how confused I am. Is this the right choice for me? Am I doing the right thing? Can I handle this? My husband is so supportive and the reason I am doing this is so I can have a baby and we can start our family and I want to be healthy in order to do that. Someone please tell me if this is the right thing to do? Is it worth it? Am I going to be okay?

Your story is just like mine! I had never had a surgery before and was nervous too. My husband is very supportive and I was doing the surgery so that I could be healthy enough to get pregnant (haven't used protection and have been married for 2 years but no luck). It IS a scary thing to go through. But I did a LOT of praying and tried to follow my feelings. Ultimately I decided that this is what I was supposed to do. I have had ups and downs and questioned my decision, but I am still glad I did it. The scariest part for me was when I moved from the bed on wheels to the surgery table and realized that I was really doing it. Of course the drugs could have emphasised those feelings :) This is an amazing place to get questions answered and you can PM me anytime you need to! Good Luck!

Jasmine,

I have not had my surgery yet, it is scheduled for the 15th of Jan.

I have had other surgeries, and I can tell you I don't remember a thing about the day. The anesthesiologist gives you an amnesia drug, so you won't remember most of what happened. Is it worth it...to have a family...Yes, I think it is! being nervous is natural but it sounds like you have the support you need from your husband!

I wish you the best!

I have had surgeries in the past and I have never had a bad experience. I remember everyone being so attentive and caring. This surgery is so worth it in my opinion. I just had emergency hernia repair surgery on 12/16 and it was fine. I look forward to starting my new life after my surgery on 1/9 :)

The best of luck to you :cry_smile:

Thanks so much Marie! I just needed to hear from anyone else whose had it done that I would be alright. You don't know how much I appreciate it. My name is Meghan by the way. I forgot to put that :)

Hi Jasmine,

I just had my surgery Dec.30. I was a basket case with nerves and anxiety right up until the moment I was put under! This was my first surgery too. If you want to ask me any questions, ask away...:)

Thanks so much Marie! I just needed to hear from anyone else whose had it done that I would be alright. You don't know how much I appreciate it. My name is Meghan by the way. I forgot to put that :)

I'm glad I could help Meghan. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions, or if you just want to talk.

Meghan~ Take a deep breath and focus on the outcome of this surgery - your health! It is so worth it. I can't believe how much better I feel 5 months out.

If your DH is supportive you are in luck. That will make this journey a lot easier. I wanted to do the surgery two years ago, DH was very skeptical and not ready yet. After doing the research and watching someone else go through the process he was ready. This has been huge! Consider yourself lucky that he is on your side and wants to support your effort to get healthy!

It is natural to be nervous about surgery, you should be. I have found the surgery staff to be very helpful when you go in (I have had several surgeries), they will help you relax and put you at ease. Your DH will be able to stay with you in the pre-op. Usually the anesthesiologist will give you something to relax, they will roll you down to surgery and the next thing you know, you wake up with your band!

Really only you know if it is the right thing for you. If you have come this far in the process I would imagine that you are ready for surgery. You are embarking on a life change, it will not be easy, it does require work and effort on your part. The outcome of being healthy and having the opportunity to start your family will be worth it.

I wish you the best of luck, hang in there until Tuesday! If you have any other questions or just need support, feel free to PM me!

Megan,

I can honestly say, I was scared as well. I had a C/Section in 2001 and I still remember the pain involved with that. I was banded December 10th and can't actually say I have had much pain at all. Looking back I would have to say, If I knew now what I knew then I would have had no fear at all.

The best thing you can do to have a successful surgery and recovery, is listen to and follow all of the surgeons instructions and after surgery walk as soon and as much as possible.

Best wishes for a good surgery experience and outcome.

these posts have helped me as well. the last time i had surgery i was 18 and oh so carefree. now i have a husband and child so im nervous too. i know its the best for my health and trust me you will want to be smaller to keep up with your kids. i have a 3 year old who goes non-stop.

best of luck to you:thumbup:

Seems like I'm not the only one, but your story is just like mine! I determined to have the surgery so my husband and I could have a healthy pregnancy. My husband is so supportive. I've had the band for about a year and I can honestly say, this is the best decision I've ever made about my health! I started at 380, I'm 290 now and I feel terrific! It was so daunting to have to lose so much weight, but for the first time I feel like it can happen! You can do it! It IS scary, especially if you've never had surgery. But the complications are few. Good luck!