Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just booked in Tijuana with Dr. Lopez

Happy New Year. I have just booked myself with Dr. Lopez in Tijuana Mexico. I haven't finalized the date just yet, but I am looking at the end of January. Does anyone have any pointers or helpful hints? I will have to book a room in San Diego the first night because my flight gets in too late, but has anyone taken their own transportation to Tijuana?

The most important thing you have to do, is make sure you have arranged for local aftercare. Who will be doing your fills?

I will be looking into that on Monday. I live in the Vancouver area, and through this site have heard of a doctor in Delta, which is right in my back yard and another in North Vancouver. Do you have any ideas?

Check with your clinic, if they have transportaion doing pick-ups at the airport, you may just want to get back to the airport the following morning and use their transporation. Keeps it simple.

A cab to the border might cost you $20 or so. Otherwise, San Diego has a light rail system I think they call the blueline trolley. Get on the train for San Ysidro/Tijuana and take it to the border station.

Walk across the border and catch a taxi on the otherside. Have the clinic name and address on a piece of paper to give the driver and have $5.00US ready. Taxi's in TJ travel to everywhere seem to cost $5. If you hand him a $10, the trip will cost $10. You won't get change. lol

I was told that doing it your self would take about two hours to get to the clinic. The clinic transport would be around a half hour from pick-up.

The border crossing going into Mx will be quick, nobody cares about people going into Mexico. Coming back will take much longer.

good luck

Edited by Cujo
new thought

Thanks so much for your information. I might just take the trolley to the border and take a taxi, if the clinic is unable to pick me up. I believe the clinic provides a night at the Camino Real in Tijuana. Thanks again for your help.

depending on how late you arrive, consider going to the clinic hotel Camino that night, they probably have a good rate for a second night there.

Of course, you should consider your own comfort level of traveling to and in TJ at night. You could probably see the hotel from the border but...

The clinic will pick you up, just let them know when and where. And please please make sure you have after care set up. This is my problem now.

Thanks so much for the information. I will give the clinic my information. I will also be setting up my aftercare this coming week....hopefully. If worse comes to worse, I can always travel to Seattle to get my fills done.

Congratulations :tt2: I was banded dec 22 with dr.martinez (OCC DR.Ortiz). Personally - I suggest staying the night in San Diego then having your clinics transportation pick you up. You will be nervous. Plus Tijuana is a little intimidating your first time there - and this way you know you will be safe. Just please trust me :mad: I am so thankful I went that route instead of worrying about taking taxi's etc.

Like the others said - make sure you prepare for aftercare BEFORE YOU GO. I have mine prepared - spoke to the actual surgeon and everything because I heard of so many nightmare stories of people not having aftercare. I actually met some great people in Tijuana though and decided to go back to the OCC so I can meet up with them again.

Hi New Girl,

Congrats on your decision! I just booked my surgery in earlier this week - Feb 16 with Doc Ortiz at the OCC in Tijuana. It's nice to see a fellow vancouverite who'll be getting banded around the same time as me.

A group of us in Vancouver meet up on the 3rd Wednesday of each month at Lions Gate Hospital(6:30PM Seminar Room A - enter on 15th there's a hallway across from the gift shop). You should come and you'll meet a bunch of people who have already been banded (some for a couple years). It has helped me feel more at ease with my decision and get lots of info.

PM me if you have any questions

Babe

Congrats New girl. I was banded by Dr. Lopez on Dec. 13. Everything went smoothly as far as the surgery went. Make sure you know where and when they will pick you up. I waited at the airport in San Diego for 45 minutes and didn't know if I was in the right spot or if they had forgotten about me. I was ready to turn around and go home! Apparently, the pickup before me was late due to a late flight, so that put the pickup schedule behind. After I was picked up, everything was fine. I even met another Canadian who was there for the same thing on the same day. I am so glad I was banded, the weight is coming off slowly but surely. I am going to Northwest Fills near Everett for my fills.

There are three of us in Surrey/Langley who are getting together casually now and we hope to find others. Let us know how it works out for you.

Best wishes.