Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spent 1st night in the emergency room

I'm wondering if my story is unique.

I had my surgery 7:30 am, Dec. 31. I was awake at 10:00 and feeling grogy and in not too much in pain because my belly area had been numbed. The plan was for me leave the hospital when I could get up and walk around, doctor's orders.

At 1:00 pm my ride picked me and I went to my Mom's house to rest up because I was flying home with my husband at 5:30, we live on another island. The doctor didn't try to discourage this, so I figured it must be OK.

I was a little nauseous, had some stomach pain, and vomited before the flight, but things got much worse in the air. By the time we got back on the ground, 6:30 pm, I went straight to emergency. The stomach pain was unbearable, up there with childbirth but with no contraction relief. The only way I would expel stomach gases was to vomit (dry heaves) and I knew I shouldn't be doing that. Plus I was really dehydrated. I couldn't hold anything down, including my pain meds.

After 4 hours of examinations, tests, guesswork, and IV, they gave me a powerful painkiller and I was finally able to settle down. They kept me overnight, I got a good night's sleep and lots of TLC.

I'm home now, experiencing the same things other 1 dayer's do: some bloating and a very tender tummy and I know I'm going to live!

Here are my observations on how this could have been avoided to an extent:

• Allow at least one night's hospital stay. This is major surgery. I guess the insurance co. in trying to cut costs and seeing that most people can get up and survive this as an outpatient procedure made this call. In the literature from them, they explained hospitals are for sick people.
  • The doctor should have discouraged me from flying that day. Had he said, "I don't recommend it", I wouldn't have done it. Period!
  • Don't think you can made sane decisions right after awakening from anesthesia.

What I'd like to know from you guys is this:

• Is outpatient the norm? Or did you get at least an overnight hospital stay?
  • Did anyone have stomach gas that was so excruciatingly painful that it led to vomiting? How did you handle it?

Happy New Year all!!!

I hope this is one time I can keep my New Year's resolution. :confused:

Thank goodness your experience isn't the "Norm!"

But my doc has people stay overnight (he let me go but I agitated for it, and because DH is an RN, he let me), and people from out of town have to sign an agreement to be IN TOWN for 1 week post op. Even at that, I had to have an Upper GI done and pass it, and report no nausea for a while, before he cut me loose. And my husband had to sign my discharge papers etc since I was still under effects of anesthesia...I was told no major decisions until at least 24 hours had passed. No driving etc for 2 days.

My gas pain, pain, and nausea was not at all as intense as yours. I actually woke up hungry (really hungry, not "emotional") and thirsty. I felt great, was alert, etc. Even with all that (I was lucid, vitals were stable and great, etc etc) they kept me for a few hours, made me walk, made sure I urinated, did the barium swallow, and kept a good close eye on me until they wheeled me out and handed me to my husband.!

I'm sorry you had such cruddy medical care. Seems like the doctor and the nurses really let you fall through the cracks.

Edited by RestlessMonkey

My insurance wouldn't give a pre auth unless the doc did over night stay. I live 200 miles from the doc and the hospital so when I got out the following afternoon I got a hotel close to the hospital and doc in case something went wrong... That was on my own accord... I wanted to play it safe.

I'm sorry u went through that.. I know it had to be scary. I think everyone should be required to stay over night in my opinion.

Oh, that's scary!! I'm glad to hear you are okay now.

I stayed overnight. The pain on the day of surgery was tough, so I was glad to be in a hospital bed with pain meds through my I.V. The next day was fine, but the bumpy ride home on the highway consisted of me going, "Ow, ow, OUCH!, Ow! Stinkin' pothole!" Of course, when you are a passenger, it's worse, right? ha ha ha

I don't know how you went in an airplane on the day of surgery! Wow!

Post op day 1, the gas was terribly uncomfortable, but didn't vomit. Day 2, I was learning how to burp again. ha ha ha.

I'm so glad you made it through okay. I'm really surprised by any insurance company that thinks this should be an outpatient procedure. You really do need that special care for at least one night, I think.

I hope the rest of your recovery continues to be smooth!

good morning, sorry u did not have a good experiance. i went in on a wed, and was discharged on a friday morning. i had my band since 2006. i have some belly discomfort. i went out and bought a body pillow and let me tell it its worth it and works. i want 2 conratuate u and good luck with ur band

I had mine on a Mon.and Thurs I was back in ER.I had been unable to even keep Water down.My daughter is an RN and was worried about dehydration.to make a long story short,on Sun.they took me back to surgery and removed the 10cc. band and put in a 14cc.Dr. said I was borderline in being big enough for the 14cc. and they decided to go with the 10cc.That was the wrong one.been good ever since.with no pain what-so-ever.

I'm wondering if my story is unique.

[*]Allow at least one night's hospital stay. This is major surgery. I guess the insurance co. in trying to cut costs and seeing that most people can get up and survive this as an outpatient procedure made this call. In the literature from them, they explained hospitals are for sick people.

[*]The doctor should have discouraged me from flying that day. Had he said, "I don't recommend it", I wouldn't have done it. Period!

[*]Don't think you can made sane decisions right after awakening from anesthesia.

What I'd like to know from you guys is this:

• Is outpatient the norm? Or did you get at least an overnight hospital stay?
  • Did anyone have stomach gas that was so excruciatingly painful that it led to vomiting? How did you handle it?

Happy New Year all!!!

I hope this is one time I can keep my New Year's resolution. :cursing:

Hey VC...thank for posting this....I second this! I was an outpatient as well and I was pretty surprised at how much pain I experienced after surgery. It very much reminded me of child birth also. My labor wasn't terrible but none the less, I was so focused on what it would be like after surgery that I was completely forgot to worry about the surgery! I was VERY nauseous the first night home but also was greated with my menstrual cycle. I would have wanted to stay the night at the hospital.

What a flight!! You poor thing. The surgeons should be more careful about post op....they cover there butts ad nauseam while you're in their care !! Terrible....sorry you had to go though this ...! Everyone is diff we know ...but...we are also close in age and this does play a factor I think. Everyone is different and they shouldn't take chances here!! This makes me mad!:confused:

I am so sorry this happened to you. I had surgery on June 6th at 7 am and was home by 3 pm. I was one of the Blessed ones who had no pain or gas pain and my recovery was beautiful and easy. You should have been told to stay close by for at least 3 days to see how things settle and then to fly?

2009 will be a much better year for you. Good Luck

Mine was definitely outpatient. Went under arond 1:30pm and left around 7ish because they had to IV-feed me 3 liters of Fluid before I could use the restroom. Eventually, we gave up and I awoke every 2 hours once home to use the restroom.

The gas thing I can relate whole-heartedly to! Yesterday it was so painful I would cringe every second, holding my stomach. Luckily, it mostly took care of itself last night when something I'd eaten finally digested itself. Out with that came much of the gas. (Sorry for TMI!) I'm still bloated as all get-out, but I'm sure it'll pass over the next few days.

Good luck to you, though!! :3

My doctor makes us stay overnight and we have to stay on Oahu for ten days. I wouldn't trust my Big Island ER to treat anything with my band. Glad that you finally got your band, good luck and keep in touch. PM me if I can help in any way.

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and support.

It was good to hear of your post op experiences.

I have a slight fever this morning and will try to locate my doctor by phone about it. I don't think it is related. I was able to down a protien drink.

BTW Phyl, my ER experience went smoother because I called an ambulance at the airport. That guarantees you immediate admittance, no waiting. I learned that from a trip there last year with my very sick granddaughter who had to wait 90 minutes before being seen. Oh, and they know NOTHING about lapbands.

I have a slight fever this morning and will try to locate my doctor by phone about it..

Volcano lady...I'm a nursing student (NOT a nurse yet) and one of the FIRST things we learn is a fever post op is often a precursor to pneumonia...it can be a sign of atelectasis (Fluid in the lungs) and what you do to treat it is to deep breathe and cough. The coughing moves the Fluid, the fever resolves, and the patient does NOT go on to develop pneumonia. I don't guess the hospital gave you an incentive spirometer (since they didn't seem to do much but take your money!) but if you don't have one, try DEEP breathing several times an hour. Hold a pillow over your surgical sites, breathe deeply even though it may cause discomfort, and be happy if it makes you cough up mucus because that means you are clearing your lungs.

This is vey important for ANY post op patient. Please try it while you are waiting to get hold of your surgeon!

If necessary and you have them on hand (most of us don't) blowing up balloons is also a good trick to breathe deep and clear the lungs. If you do have your incentive spirometer, use it, while awake, at least 10 times an hour.

Walking walking walking also helps you breathe more deeply and clear your lungs, it helps circulation, it helps prevent clots, and it helps you pass gas. (I'm just telling you all this since apparently your post op directions were non-existent)

Email if I can help you in whatever limited capacity,...but try the things I've mentioned. They should help you feel better fast. Don't let the fever go, though, and don't just treat it with tylenol. You have it for a reason....and need to figure out why.

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry you went thru all of that. I really hope that fever turns out to be nothing but after surgery, you have to be careful!!!

I had surgery at 8:30 the morning and went home about 4:30PM the same day. I didn't have any major problems. Just the standard pain and gas but even the gas wasn't too horrible and the pain was totally managed by the Lotrab (sp?) that I was taking. Took me 1 1/2 weeks to lose the 7lbs gained during surgery!

I hope all goes well for you! Take good care!

Thanks again, it is comforting to know I am not alone and can communicate with people who understand.

RM, I just spoke to my doc and tho he sounded concerned about the fever, said if it got to 101 (it's was 100.4, but is 100.0 now; I took some tylenol), then call him back. He said it is not unusual for a slight fever. Body reaction...or something.

Thanks for reminding me to walk, I'll get up more often. Instinctively, I was deep breathing, but I'll do more of that too. I did cough up some mucus, but my lungs feel pretty clear.

You are right, I did get crappy post op care, they got too nonchalant.

I was kept overnight. That is the norm for my doctor. I was glad to be there. The pain meds helped and the next day i felt like a different person.