Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Join the 2009 WLS Parade!!!

I've decided to copy my blog entry here today for some extra support for the New Year as the blogs don't get much exposure since they don't come up with other new posts. -BG:biggrin:

To all you peeps planning WLS in 2009 I know you're welcoming this year with as much anticipation as I am. There should be a parade today just for WLS patients. We’d wear shirts like our signatures with anything you felt comfortable sharing; surgery date, current BMI, hey even current weight if you’re really brave (or you’re now skinny). <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

We’d put all of us pre-ops at the front of the parade…it’s OK…If you can’t walk the 6 mile route we’d have floats we could ride on (hey, we’re a big group…no pun intended…we need more than that 5 1/2 mile route of the Rose Parade). The floats would be educational since pre-op is all about education…just think how much the public would learn. I know some here would be on the Insurance Maze float because they live everyday now with that crazed “will I be approved?” look…so they’ll fit right into that maze, with it’s piles of paperwork creating the walls of the maze. There’d be all those milestones along the maze…psych visit, etc. and at the end, in the back, those crazed pre-ops would hand over their papers and a giant insurance person with a big stamp in each hand “APPROVED” & “DENIED”…would stamp it (because of course we’d have animation). There’d be a 6 month diet and pre-op diet float…just think of the crazy float that pre-op diet would be…we could have swimmers doing laps in Protein Shakes, or maybe something not so happy as we’d want to garner some sympathy…I don’t even want to think about it yet. Myself, I’d be waving from the center of the Lap Band float as the giant one inflates and deflates…we could wear smaller ones like hoola-hoops around our waists. <o:p></o:p>

Then would come all those “in progress” peeps…they’d have cool floats too, but all about support because that’s what in progress is all about. Of course each of those monthly groups would build their own floats…going back in time…Think how cool these floats would be…New Year Hotties and Hunks (not sure yet?), Holiday Hotties, Notorious Novembers, Smashing Pumpkins, September Samurais, August All Stars, July Butterflies, June-Bugs, Shrinko de Mayo’s, April Avengers, Shrinking Shamrocks, Victorious Valentines,…we could go back for years! Oh, they’d be great…they’d have their own cheering sections in the crowd…because it’s all about family and friends support too.<o:p></o:p>

Lastly would come all those at goal…and they’d just go nuts to end our parade in style…some would be wearing bikinis and Speedos...those pushing strollers that now have babies thanks in part to their WLS…and the floats, oh the floats (they’d pull their own of course because now they can)…Before and Afters of course…but all those things you couldn’t do before but now can…fitting in seats-roller coasters and amusement park rides…what a fun float that would be, and physical activities you’ve always wanted to try-floats of those holding trophies and blown up photos of them running marathons, climbing mountains, and playing in the parks with their families! What an inspiration this section would be!<o:p></o:p>

What section would you be in? What would your float be? <o:p></o:p>

Come, join the 2009 WLS Parade!!!

Hi, Just thought I would write and see if anyone is sorry they had the lap band. I am having my surgery on Jan. 21, 2009 and I am nervous and hoping I am making the right decision.

Thanks-you for any feedback

Almarie,

I am a bit nervous too. My suregery is scheduled for Jan 22, 2009. I am both excited and wondering if am making the right decision. I start my pre-ops on Jan 5 while being on a 7 days biz trip in Miami. The more I read how this surgery changed some many people lives on this site, the more reassurance and at peace I feel. I am looking forward to changing myself from the inside, out.

Wow! I love your imagination...or maybe it's not an imagination at all...hummm?

Great post.

No imagination at all...hee hee...I think I was on a holiday sugar high at the time and I can't be responsible for my actions.

Hi, Just thought I would write and see if anyone is sorry they had the lap band. I am having my surgery on Jan. 21, 2009 and I am nervous and hoping I am making the right decision.

Thanks-you for any feedback

Almarie,

I am a bit nervous too. My suregery is scheduled for Jan 22, 2009. I am both excited and wondering if am making the right decision. I start my pre-ops on Jan 5 while being on a 7 days biz trip in Miami. The more I read how this surgery changed some many people lives on this site, the more reassurance and at peace I feel. I am looking forward to changing myself from the inside, out.

The two of you are a little newer here than I am, but I'm sure you're doing your research and should feel comfortable with your decision (I'm sure I'll be a ball of nerves right before my surgery too...everyone is).

My opinion only...If you know the work that you're going to have to do to make this tool work for you, and what can potentially happen if you don't follow the rules, as well as possible complications, then you should know now whether it's a good choice for you. Personally, I think this 6 mo. diet I'm on is a little long, but I've been researching this for over 3 mo. and only now do I feel really comfortable with it. I can't imagine being one of those that has the surgery a few weeks after starting to look into this...I think those are the people who are surprised that the LB doesn't do it for you, how hard it is, problems they have. It's not the right choice for everyone. I can follow a diet and an exercise program and I don't mind that the weight will come off slowly, have done so before. I have a person close to me that cannot, but would be better suited for a different procedure. I'll be nervous at my surgery, but most of that will be nervous anticipation and excitement at getting the tool I need to make this work.

Good luck with your upcoming new-you's! Keep me posted as to how you're doing!

Oh, and if you haven't already joined the 'Jan. 09' group, do so as everyone there is going through the same fears you are now (look down the Forum sections for the monthy groups).