Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still in the aprehensive stage...

Hi - Monica here. I haven't scheduled my initial visit yet (chicken). Since my insurance isn't paying, I am contemplating having the surgery done by a Dr. who also does it in Mexico (I'm in L.A.) for almost half the price. I would like to talk to others that went this route. I would also like to talk to people like me - I'm 39, 215 lbs, 5'6" regarding what to expect.

I'm nervous about making this life change and feel that I should be able to lose the weight without resorting to surgery.

Words of encouragement and reality would be great.:laugh:

hey there!

I can relate to the insurance hassel... I was denied... and I could not handle that heartbreak again. So I went the cash pay route. However, i did not go to Mexico. I had mine done in Denver with Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum... and I have to tell you, the entire experience start to finish was AMAZING!

He only does Cash Pay... his price is $9,950 which was considerably less than most other doctors. He was such a great doctor and his staff was outstanding. I live in Louisiana... but the closest I could get to his price was 13,000 in Dallas. So for me, it was worth the trip up to see him.

I am 6 weeks out from surgery today, and today I had my first fill.

Everything has been great.

I wish you the best of luck with your decision!!! And I would be happy to answer any questions you may have!

Take Care! Happy New year!!!

Hi, Monica!!

I can speak to the whole apprehension part.

I never wanted to go this route. I thought I still could do it myself. I thought if I did choose surgery, I was a failure.

I'm 33, 5'6", and at one point I weighed 316. I started having back trouble, but not constant. I always thought that with no sign of diabetes or high blood pressure, I was "handling" my weight okay.

Well, long story short, mild pain turned into crippling pain, and I was being told I was too heavy to help. So I turned to the Band, reluctantly... but it sounded so much safer than gastric bypass. Still, I felt I could lose it on my own.

Well, insurance had so many hoops, and my approval process took a year's worth of work on my part, but I lost 30 pounds going through the nutrition program for six months... and at the end of it I realized that I really was just a binge away from blowing all that hard work too. I finally got honest with myself and decided this was right for me.

I believe that each day you have a chance to make that healthy change... but I was just not disciplined enough to do what I knew I should do. I always ignored my stomach. My stomach would say it's not hungry, but I'd eat anyway. My stomach would say it is full, but I'd keep putting more in. My stomach would say it didn't like having a bowl of popcorn followed by a bowl of ice cream and a root beer..but despite its cries for help, I listened to my head more -- and it kept saying, "Yeah, but it's yummy! You can eat right tomorrow!" And tomorrow would just be the same. The band gave my stomach a voice now, and trust me, it is loud and clear and I pay attention to what it is telling me now. And you know what, it never complains that it is hungry. My appetite is practically zero, and many of my old favorite food just look nasty to me now.

So I guess the point of all that is... the big question to ask yourself is this.... can you obey your stomach? Do you listen to it now? Sure, you can lose weight on your own, but can you obey your stomach for the long term? I think that answer will help you decide whether to keep going on your own or enlist the help of the band. It's a great tool, but a lot of hard work, not an instant miracle, but a long-term instrument that you have to finely tune and adjust to your own body. You'll need a good relationship with a surgeon that you can communicate easily with so the two of you can get it to work just right.

I wish you all the best! I hope you will keep searching within and find your answers. Take care! Happy New Year!

Hi Monica: I was nervous about having another surgery. I have had 11 or 12. surgeries..so many that I have lost count. We joke in my family that I should get the next one free. :-)

Anyway, this was a last resort. When I was younger...as a child, teenager, and twenty-something adult, I never had a weight problem. I jogged, lifted weights, and had a very active life. (I am 5'6" and started at 251)

But something happened after the birth of my second child (26 yr). I could not lose the weight and I did not have time to jog or lift weights. My family life trumped my health.

For the last 19 years I have struggled with weight gain and loss. I have been on diet after diet. So when I heard about gastric procedures I began to do the research.

I still wonder what if this one fails too. But I have the support and the tools to make this work. I do not regret my decision. And I have no doubt you will not regret having the procedure.

Good luck!

well that is an option... Dr. K gives you several months of free fills with the surgery... but with my job schedule that is simply not an option. I found a dr near by who does the fills. It worked out to be a better option for me. She charges 175. But since I dont have too go all too often, I figure it is well worth the money. Let me know if you have any other questions :laugh:

Hi Monica,

Many people here have been right where you are. I was banded on 12/13 in Monterrey, Mexico. I was very very apprehensive until I made the decision for surgery, then it was a great feeling, a relief. Sure I was nervous, but committed in my heart. I actually told NO ONE that I was going to Mexico for surgery, because I knew I would not get the support I needed. It was scary, going to Mexico for the first time, alone, and having surgery. I am a nurse (and BTW, my coordinator said that 35% of their clients are doctors and nurses and other health care professionals from the US!) , I constantly struggled with the thoughts of feeling I had to "resort" to banding because I was lazy or a loser. It's easy, right? Just eat less and exercise more, right? Well, it's more complicated than that, and any person of weight will tell you that. Obese people are experts on weight loss--after all, we have been on diets over half our lives! I knew I wouldn't be covered with my health insurance (my BMI wasn't quite high enough and I didn't have enough comorbid complications yet) , but to be honest, I went to Mexico because I trusted the doctor I went to. AND I do not regret my choice. The doctors in Mexico have performed more lapband surgeries than the doctors in Mexico, and some of the surgeons in Mexico have proctored US physicians! Just do your research on Mexican doctors--there are many excellent people on here to be a resource for you. Review the forums, as probably any question you have has no doubt been asked already. Once you research, make your decision, and commit, you will find your apprehension will turn into excited anticipation!

Jenny

Wow! Thanks for the pep talks. You guys are great. I definitely know where to go when I'm feeling "iffy" again.

THANKS and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

He charges $7000 for the procedure; he was having a special at the time for $6600. They still might be having it! That includes 2 nights in a hotel, your airport transportation and your postop liquids (you won't need that much). The flights to Monterrey certainly aren't cheap, but I was very satisfied with my whole experience. I am flying back in February for my check up and first fill.

Hi,

I am considering lap band in Mexico. Jengraz can you tell me who you went to and how was it? It sounds like the same place that I am considering.

How do you or will you get your fills? How nuch will they cost?

Has anyone had expierience with fill center usa? and know the cost?

Is there anyone out there from NE florida that went & gets fill here?

Scared to death. Need some real people expierience.

My surgery was done by Dr. Zapata. I have nothing but great things to say about him. The whole experience was a positive one. I just had a fill this weekend by him in Monterrey, and he was wonderful as always.