Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 1/2 years Post Op and having problems

I had my lapband surgery in March of 2003 with no complications since that time (except for the port coming loose from the band and having to have it replaced 1 weeks after initial insertion). The past few months I get sick everyday after noon or so. I get a bloated feeling, nauseated, feeling like I need to burp but cant and then I throw up almost every evening. I know this is horribly grose but when I do throw up it has enormous force behind it, sometimes it is just air until I start dry heaving and that hurts sooooo bad. I thought maybe I had a stomach virus, but not this long, thought it might be the pain pills I was taking for my back but I quit those and no relief. Gas X, beano, pepto NO HELP. I also have pain in my left side just under the edge of my lower ribs. I have an appt with my regular doctor this coming Monday. After reading some of the other posts I am wondering if I need to go see my lapband surgeon. I havent seen him in a few years. No fills or anything. Anyone else had these problems? Any advice?

Thanks and Happy New Year to you all!!

God Bless!

I had my lapband surgery in March of 2003 with no complications since that time (except for the port coming loose from the band and having to have it replaced 1 weeks after initial insertion). The past few months I get sick everyday after noon or so. I get a bloated feeling, nauseated, feeling like I need to burp but cant and then I throw up almost every evening. I know this is horribly grose but when I do throw up it has enormous force behind it, sometimes it is just air until I start dry heaving and that hurts sooooo bad. I thought maybe I had a stomach virus, but not this long, thought it might be the pain pills I was taking for my back but I quit those and no relief. Gas X, beano, pepto NO HELP. I also have pain in my left side just under the edge of my lower ribs. I have an appt with my regular doctor this coming Monday. After reading some of the other posts I am wondering if I need to go see my lapband surgeon. I havent seen him in a few years. No fills or anything. Anyone else had these problems? Any advice?

Thanks and Happy New Year to you all!!

God Bless!

I have little experience, but I would say you certainly should see your lapband surgeon. And, I think you are supposed to have a checkup with him at least annually anyway. I know mine insists on doing that scope test to look at the band every year which I think is a good idea. You should probably take this question to the complication thread. Good luck to you and please come back and tell us what you learn

OMG, I could have written your post. Over the Christmas period I have had exactly the same. The gas which won't budge, really forceful burps etc, etc.

I am just about to make an appointment to have an unfill and possibly a fluro to see what's happening.

Did you go and see a Dr?

If so please let me know what happened.

Thanks

Becs

A little update, kinda tried to doctor myself until I can get in to someone. Quit drinking my sprite's and being very picky about what I eat. It has been a little better but not much. My regular physician referred me to a gastrointerologist to have an upper and lower GI done. Can't get in to him until the 20th. :wub: I will see what he says and go from there. Thank you all for your responses, I will let you know.

I'm glad you're feeling little better.

i have just got back from having 1cc removed from my band. I had a fluro done and the band is in place and everything looks good. The nurse who did the unfill was not worried at all about the pain, sickness. etc and said an unfill should do it!

I have since felt hungry and managed some Soup for my lunch. I feel so so much better.

Keep us posted.

I would definately go see a doctor. My husband just went through the same thing, throwing up, bad lower pains, dry heaving, burping. (thought it was the virus) They noticed that the band had slipped about 3 weeks ago and was scheduled to fix it a few days ago but ended up in the emergency room 1 day before. The band got into his stomach and then started down the intestine causing the gaulblader to become inflamed. Had to cut the band out of the intestine and just removed the gaulblader. Although the dr. did say there was never a known case of the band getting into the stomach. Good Luck