Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is good information! I was just banded on Wednesday so I want to make sure I get any nutritional info available. Also I wondered about something because I have heard that some people start to lose their hair. I wondered if getting Vitamins with Biotin or a Vitamin for hair, nail and skin health was a good choice. Any ideas?

Cheryl

I take a Multi-Vitamin for Lapband patients made my Celebrate Vitamins. ( celebratevitamins.com I think). And then I take a Viactiv chocolate chewable for my Calcium. And I found a small Omega 3 fishoil at a healthfood store. Oh.. and I take Biotin too.

Is your Calcium the citrate or carbonate? I am looking for some good chewables because I have the citracal as advised to get and they are huge to swallow even cut in half and I should take 3 a day!! I need some good chewables, but we have to use the calcium citrate. Where do you get yours? Thanks

I looked everywhere for the chewable citrate and couldn't find any. I started taking the Caltrate because of the fact they are chewable. I am afraid to swallow pills that are bigger than my meds because they get stuck. These seem to work for me and I am not having any adverse affects from them. I tried to take the viactive and had a weird side effect from it. I got my chewables from Wal-mart. Talk to your nutritionist about these if you are unsure. Good luck.

I buy the Walgreens Childrens chewable Multivitamins (take 2 a day) and they are really yummy! I also have to have a B-12 liquid which is really nasty. I am supposed to take a liquid Iron but am having trouble finding it locally and online it's pretty expensive. And the Calcium is the Cictrical (sp?) D or something like that. They are horse pills. I havent started those yet (I know I'm bad with that). I am supposed to "crush" them and since they are so big I just havent really wanted to crush and swallow them.

I tried crushing these Vitamins and they are horrible. I really like the Caltrate chewables.< /p>

Hello,

In Living the Low Carb Life, author Jonny Bowden writes that high dose Biotin (about 9000 units - mg, mcg?) can be helpful for weight loss. I don't remember exactly how that is supposed to work, but it is also a supplement that's supposed to be good for hair and nails.

Yes, I had some Hair loss, not as much as my RNY friends, but I promise it is temporary.

After I followed the supplement advice in chapter 4 of Living the Low Carb Life for a couple of months (not necessarily sticking to a low carb diet), my triglicerides had been cut in half and my HDL was way up. I don't think my Dr. necessarily believed me, but she said "Keep doing whatever you are doing."

Good luck.

I looked everywhere for the chewable citrate and couldn't find any. I started taking the Caltrate because of the fact they are chewable. I am afraid to swallow pills that are bigger than my meds because they get stuck. These seem to work for me and I am not having any adverse affects from them. I tried to take the viactive and had a weird side effect from it. I got my chewables from Wal-mart. Talk to your nutritionist about these if you are unsure. Good luck.

vitaminshoppe.com has the citrate. The carbonate are bad for us banded people.

Hello,

In Living the Low Carb Life, author Jonny Bowden writes that high dose Biotin (about 9000 units - mg, mcg?) can be helpful for weight loss. I don't remember exactly how that is supposed to work, but it is also a supplement that's supposed to be good for hair and nails.

Yes, I had some Hair loss, not as much as my RNY friends, but I promise it is temporary.

After I followed the supplement advice in chapter 4 of Living the Low Carb Life for a couple of months (not necessarily sticking to a low carb diet), my triglicerides had been cut in half and my HDL was way up. I don't think my Dr. necessarily believed me, but she said "Keep doing whatever you are doing."

Good luck.

I believe it's totally true about the low carb diet. I followed the Atkins diet for 5 years and rarely ate carbs. I would not even eat fruit to any extent. After 5 yrs, I decided it could not be healthy and I changed my diet to include lots of fruits and vegetables and whole grains. I never ate processed foods or sugar. My weight started going up and so did my Cholesterol and triglycerides. When I was living on on Protein in the form of eggs, meat, poultry, fish, butter, oils, cheese and small amts of veggies everything stayed normal. I never ate anything "low fat" because low fat in a bottle usually = higher sugar, higher carb. I ate plenty of chesseburgers without the bun!! I still don't think that can be healthy long term and now I am trying to stick more to poultry and fish and very lean filets (which is probably all we can eat anyway!) My point is my body cannot tolerate whole grains!

Thanks yall for all the great suggestions!

I did go and buy some of the lil' critters Gummy Vitamins and I double the kids dose, I am gonna take with me to my appointment to see how many I should be taking.

Thanks again~ I love this forum!

Thanks yall for all the great suggestions!

I did go and buy some of the lil' critters Gummy Vitamins and I double the kids dose, I am gonna take with me to my appointment to see how many I should be taking.

Thanks again~ I love this forum!

Are the gummy vitamins ok to take with the lap band? I love the gummy Vitamins but would be afraid they would get stuck.