Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How strong of a tool?

Lucky for me I hate ice-cream. It makes me sick to my stomach, but I love candy and chips..... So although the band is a great tool for me when I have restriction, I really have to work it.

I spent a whole year trying to get this band, so now that I have it I don't want to fill my stomach with empty calories. Plus, I exercise really hard and I don't want the time I spent exercising to be wasted.

liquids do go through my band, so I am careful of what I drink. I never drank alcohol pre-band, so I don't now. I love Starbucks, but I have skinny lattes rather than mochas. And since I love candy, I have 1 piece rather than the whole box.

I use other tools besides the Band. I track my calories @ Sparkpeople.com, I exercise every day, I weigh my food, I continue to see my nutritionist, I attend support groups, and I meet monthly with my surgeon. Together, all these tools help me to stay on track. :)

So, does one piece of candy give you that fill feeling? I tend to eat when stressed and I probably eat the wrong foods. However, I would hope that the band would help me stop at half, if not less of my usual plate - make me feel full.

How does that work for you?

I could use any help with deciding if this is right for me. I am scared of the bariatric surgery. But I know I have to do something. It is in my genes and I need to really act on it.

Thank you. :tongue2:

I finally had my surgeon consult today and he thinks I'm a perfect candidate for the Lapband! I too, have fears that somehow it won't help me, but I do have realistic expectations that it is a tool to help me, not a miracle "will do all the work for me" kind of thing. My husband is 100% supportive of me getting the surgery too, so that helps. I'm so excited to make such a positive step for my health! But the more I read on here, the more calm I get that I probably will do great with the band.

I am so loving this thread! I really needed to read this tonight and thank you so much for asking the question! I am 2 weeks post op and I fear that it won't be enough. I continue to lose, but the fear is still there, due to all the past failed attempts.

So Rebecca, its a YEAR since you got your band... Has it been a success for you?

Do tell>...

If you graze, the band won't be able to work for you. It's because of what it does and how it does it. You will have a small "tiny tummy" formed (the pouch). You fill it up by eating 1/2 to 1 cup of food. (this is once you have restriction). That food sits there, rather than going quickly on down to the bottom of your stomach, and it triggers (they think) hormones etc telling your body "I"M NOT HUNGRY NOW YOU CAN QUIT EATING!!!" LOL That feeling, once properly restricted, should last up to 5-6 hours.

However you can graze or snack all day and bypass that. Think of pouring something through a funnel. You can pour slowly and keep a steady stream, or pour too much and the funnel overflows. In a way, it's like that. if you graze, you just have a steady stream of food trickling through that smaller hole that you had formed by the band. No trigger of "stop eating" ever happens. And you don't lose weight and you are depressed and wonder why on EARTH did you ever get the band anyway?

SO you are the one to decide if you can quit snacking all the time. If you really can't then the band isn't for you.

We all have food issues of one type or another. There's no big shame in being a snacker (or a volume eater, or whatever!) but if you snack and graze and really think you can't give it up (or cut way back) then listen to your doc, consider a different surgery.

My doc requires NO Snacks. I am a night time snacker (but not a daytime grazer) and I am really fighting to change my routine. I understand where you're coming from. I was scared of bypass, too. But 11 months of behavioral therapy convinced me I could modify my behavior and the band would work for me.

Good luck for you, whatever you decide!

Wow what a great way to put it. I wish I would of found this thread before I had my surgery. I am a grazer and snacker. Being snowed in for the last week and all the Christmas goodies I have failed big time. I am so depressed - which makes me want to snack more. :) I do get restriction when I sit down to eat a meal, but you are sooo right the Snacks go right on through. I am hoping when I get back to work (been off for 2 weeks) I will get back on track. I have done so well there not snacking. Home is where I have the hardest time. I just ordered wii fit plus and ea sports so I need to get my butt in gear and lose some weight. I have not lost for 2 months.

Hello and a Happy 2010 to you all! This is a great thread for anyone who is considering being banded OR who has already been banded and needs to take a moment to re-affirm their commitment.

As one year ended and a new year began, I began to think about my New Year's resolutions. As usual (along w/ about a million+ other people), I made a resolution to lose weight and begin an exercise regimen. I actually and completely forgot about my band! I am so used to being heavy that I slipped back into my old way of thinking. Well, I shook myself back to reality and realized that for the first time in a looooong that I am starting a new year much lighter than I have been in a long time. I've lost 70lbs since being banded on 6/8/09. I've lost this much weight by listening to my body, listening to my band, and NOT dieting. When I decided to have surgery, I also made the decision that I would not obsess over my band, count calories or carbs, or measure my food. I have tried (and failed) so many diets that I knew for myself I needed a different approach. I no longer feel guilty about every morsel I put into my mouth. I make much healthier food choices now, but don't deprive myself of a sweet treat now and then. I am also eating much smaller portions and eating less often. My band is an awesome tool that has helped me w/ my battle of food addiction! :smile2:

I wish there was more information about the lifespan of the device.

They've been using the band in Europe for quite a while longer than here in the U.S. so the data is there.

The band has a failure rate of 44% in the first 10 years due to leaks, erosing, etc. *BUT* they don't specify what percentage of the faulty bands are due to abuse by their owners and what part are the fault of the band.

Personally, none of that matters to me. Without the band I know I will still be fat...or fatter...the day I die and the day I die may be sooner than later since obesity, and its medical comorbidities, do shorten our life span.

So Rebecca, its a YEAR since you got your band... Has it been a success for you?

Do tell>...

yes, I consider it a success. Believe it or not, I am still learning to use it. I have lost about 45 pounds. But the biggest thing to me is how much I have not gained! I have no doubt that I would have gained at least 50 lbs if I had not had this band put in.

thanks so much for asking.