Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How strong of a tool?

You know if you look at my history of what I have posted, you will find that I asked a very similar question.

I think we all get "cold" feet. I went to orientation Nov 4 came home and in 2 weeks lost like 15 lbs so was like do i really need surgery.. so I posted a question on here.. I did get some nice answers and one person said "you cant do it on your own" That made me even more want to.

Well here i am almost 2 months from Nov 4, and I did the Psych appt and I meet with my surgeon fri, i was going to quit but the cold hard truth is, i have been fat my whole life. I am scared to see me thin.. so i am putting on some slippers and getting the surgery!:laugh:

I know I can probably loose it all on my own, but, will i be still at goal in 3 yrs after i get more lazy on my diet? NOPE no way!

Just keep going to your appts and loosing weight you have up until u are about to go into or to change your mind.:mad: ;)

Lucky for me I hate ice-cream. It makes me sick to my stomach, but I love candy and chips..... So although the band is a great tool for me when I have restriction, I really have to work it.

I spent a whole year trying to get this band, so now that I have it I don't want to fill my stomach with empty calories. Plus, I exercise really hard and I don't want the time I spent exercising to be wasted.

liquids do go through my band, so I am careful of what I drink. I never drank alcohol pre-band, so I don't now. I love Starbucks, but I have skinny lattes rather than mochas. And since I love candy, I have 1 piece rather than the whole box.

I use other tools besides the Band. I track my calories @ Sparkpeople.com, I exercise every day, I weigh my food, I continue to see my nutritionist, I attend support groups, and I meet monthly with my surgeon. Together, all these tools help me to stay on track. :laugh:

I have tried meridia at least 3 times in the past. It worked wonders for the couple months that I would be on it. After a couple of months I would lose about 10 pounds and then get nervous because of taking a drug for weight lost. Merida didn't necessarily limit what food; I had to do that on my own. What it did do is limit the amount of food that I wanted to eat. I am hoping that the band will work the same way.

I know that I will follow the food guidelines, but I guess I am looking at the Portion Control as being my tool.

Thank you for bringing this question to the forum. This has been a great discussion to follow. And it confirmed for me that I've made the right choice. I particularly connected with "OH Juli" who said that she was a volume eater and that's one reason the band is a strong tool for her. I'm so excited and can't wait to have my new tool in place!

Minxz, I'll tell you my take on it, and why I got the band. My PCP told me that 98% of people who lose 100 pounds or more gain it all back or more within 5 years. That means only 2% are able to keep off the weight. With the band, 80% of patients lose at least half of their excess weight and keep it off for 5 years (and more).

The other 20% with the band who "fail" might not have lost 50% of their excess weight, but may have lost weight - but "only" 30% or 40% of their excess weight - still better than the 98% of traditional dieters who gain it all back! Very few don't lose any weight at all with the band, or gain. I figure that even if I don't lose with the band, I know I would certainly gain without it!

My point is, what's the different betwen the two groups? Both started out with 100 pounds to lose, so they started out the same. The only difference, then, is the band, because people who are 100 pounds overweight will eventually find a way to eat around any diet or plan and continue the pattern of overeating. So, the band must be doing something to take the same types of people and increase their success from 2% to over 80%. That's why I got banded.

If, and only if, I could have guaranteed my safety and health, I would have preferred RNY/gastric bypass, which has faster success in the short run, and somewhat greater success in the long run, but the risk of severe life-long complications and the much higher rate of death led me to make the safer choice of a band. I'm only about 1 month out so I have no restriction yet, but I think that this tool will change my life. I hope so!

Edited by dietpeach

I am questioning the surgery just like you. I have been told that it is for a volume eater. Which is not me. I eat and can eat all day. I can eat big portions, although sometimes I can't. The surgeons are trying to talk me into the bariatric surgery which scares me. I don't want to eat something and then get sick.

I am wondering if the lap band truly gives you that full feeling and you are not hungry between meals. If so, I feel that will help me.

My sugery is not until April and I know I need to choose one of them. what has your surgeon told you? Could I be successful if I am not a volume eater?

Thank you.:biggrin:

I am questioning the surgery just like you. I have been told that it is for a volume eater. Which is not me. I eat and can eat all day. ? Could I be successful if I am not a volume eater?

Thank you.:biggrin:

If you graze, the band won't be able to work for you. It's because of what it does and how it does it. You will have a small "tiny tummy" formed (the pouch). You fill it up by eating 1/2 to 1 cup of food. (this is once you have restriction). That food sits there, rather than going quickly on down to the bottom of your stomach, and it triggers (they think) hormones etc telling your body "I"M NOT HUNGRY NOW YOU CAN QUIT EATING!!!" LOL That feeling, once properly restricted, should last up to 5-6 hours.

However you can graze or snack all day and bypass that. Think of pouring something through a funnel. You can pour slowly and keep a steady stream, or pour too much and the funnel overflows. In a way, it's like that. if you graze, you just have a steady stream of food trickling through that smaller hole that you had formed by the band. No trigger of "stop eating" ever happens. And you don't lose weight and you are depressed and wonder why on EARTH did you ever get the band anyway?

SO you are the one to decide if you can quit snacking all the time. If you really can't then the band isn't for you.

We all have food issues of one type or another. There's no big shame in being a snacker (or a volume eater, or whatever!) but if you snack and graze and really think you can't give it up (or cut way back) then listen to your doc, consider a different surgery.

My doc requires NO Snacks. I am a night time snacker (but not a daytime grazer) and I am really fighting to change my routine. I understand where you're coming from. I was scared of bypass, too. But 11 months of behavioral therapy convinced me I could modify my behavior and the band would work for me.

Good luck for you, whatever you decide!

The band can be a great tool but i find that the hardest thing is not testing the tool too much. I have my days where i want and do test my tool but they are far and in between. This is harder than any diet i have been on. I say harder because its really up to me to make this work and i know that now. It's like i have no excuses any more because of the band. I know that ice cream and other bad things can still hurt my progress so i stay away from them. I could never do that before and I am not sure why I have the ability to do it now, I guess i had to hit the bottom like a addict to finually figure out that my life depends on this to work this time. The band helps me so much but I truely believe that it isnt the band but me that is doing it. The band is my saftey net and I try hard every day to not use that net. I am a addict, I used to eat because i was depressed and i ate because i was upset. i also ate because i just loved to eat. I still get depressed and upset and i have found ways to try to deal with that without food but I can never stop wanting to eat or over eat, thats where the band steps in, it stops me from eatting too much when I'm weak. In the last 6 months i have walked, biked and worked out harder than i have ever worked before. Why i couldnt do that before i have no idea but hey it seems to be working now so i will just keep roling with the progress. I guess i'm try to say the band wont make you lose the weight, its what you do with the band, how you work that band. I love my band! I am working hard not to let my band down. You will do great, just try not to test your yourself or band too much.

I am SO thankful I found this website and this thread! Thanks for all the great questions and informed and caring responses.

I am scheduled for surgery January 19, 2008 and have been having the "yo-yo" feelings. I truly feel that I am doing the surgery for the right reasons, and will use the band as a tool to help me restructure my eating habits. When I feel weak, the band will physically restrain me, but my mind is strong and I'm looking forward to the challenge. Thanks bigpapa for the post, it helped a lot. Now I'm excited and confident again, thanks!

I have had my band since april o8. I have lost 75 pounds and yes I see it as a tool. I walk 30 minutes a day and try to stay away from high calorie foods. The band doesn't let me overeat. I can only eat a small portion and I'm full and satisfied. That is the key....I don't want anymore to eat. People who don't have a weight problem don't understand the HUNGER card. When you are hungry you will overeat. The band makes it so i'm not hungry. Infact sometimes during the day I forget to eat. Now that is new to me. I also think that it depends on your fills. Up to fill #3 I could eat a lot. Fill #3 and 4 changed that. I'm now very restricted in the am and sometimes can't eat till dinner. I drink a Protein Shake for Breakfast and something small for lunch. Usually, dinner I can eat whatever I want but not a lot of it. I'm completely satisfied and love my band. Good luck to you....i couldn't do it without the band.

I am like most. I am getting close, and I ask myself "Can I do it myself?" It is scary to think that i will be so limited to what I can eat. this is my response to myself. If I was to try it one more time on my own what would I have to do? Well, I will have to stop eating high calorie food. I will have to limit my portions and I will have to excersize. I will have to curve my cravings and have great self control.

I have to follow the same guidelines with the band. with or without the band, I have to do this to lose weight.

I sure could use the help. Lapband will help me with what I would have to do to lose the weight anyway.

Okay, I just reread this and it sounds repetitive. But since we seem to be thinking the same thoughts, you probably understand. :biggrin:

I have a lower BMI. I am 232 at 5'4"

I thought I could do it myself....that is how i found myself weighing 267 pounds and climbing. One thing that is great about the lapband is that you have control on how tight it is. The tighter the more restriction. When I didn't have any fill in mine I could eat almost anything....but I wasn't as hungry as without the band. Now I'm very restricted and I really need to watch what I eat....the band if my friend

I wish you continued success. I have had to learn not to get upset with myself for letting myself get to this weight. I have always been thin up until age 30. That is when I started gaining tons. I found out that I had Hypothyroidism. My weight continued to climb eventhough I am at the right level of synthroid. Basically, I have to eat very little to lose the weight. I am hoping with the band, that will help me in the long run. I have been able to lose weight by will power, but after so many months will power is hard to come by.

I am not an all day snacker. I just need to eat smaller portions.

I know it is a matter of calories in vs. calories out. My calories out is much slower. :tongue2:

My biggest worry isn't the diet, but how will the band last throughout my life. I wish there was more information about the lifespan of the device.

My biggest worry isn't the diet, but how will the band last throughout my life. I wish there was more information about the lifespan of the device.

Mrsteacher...

they don't have data specifically on the band, because it's only been in use here since 2001 (I think eighties, in some form, in other countries)

HOWEVER they do have other medical implants that they can use to compare. Because of the material it's made of, it's lack of battery or moving parts, etc it is placed with the expectation of lasting a lifetime. This won't be true of everyone, of course (nothing is absolute) but for many of us it will last us throughout our lives.

That is what the doctor said also. I also ease my tension by realizing that many surgeries have various implants and those objects have no "for sures" either. I went shopping for clothes today. Of course I became frustrated because it seems the cute clothes are for smaller women. Then I became excited to think that in just a few months I might be able to start looking for smaller outfits.

I have my CPAP test tonight. Hopefully I will be cleared for surgury. That is all that insurance is waiting for.