Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oprah's an idiot

I disagree. I don't think that Oprah is ignorant. In fact she makes a point of being well informed. I don't agree with her opinion concerning weight loss surgery and I suspect that I would have little interest in many of the topics that she deals with. This is because I am not raising a family, I don't cook, and I don't have spiritual or financial problems - and these seem to be the issues that she deals with on her show. Apart from the fact that we both like to read, Oprah and I have little in common, I would guess. But she is certainly not an ignorant woman.

Sooooo, IOW, you disagree with a majority of what Oprah spews?

I'd be hard pressed to top her latest blunder. She told Kate Winslet "I so glad you have real breasts" WTF kind of thing is that to say to anyone, & how come she took such note of it?;) Even Ellen topped her favorite Christmas gifts this year. Oprah went with cheap & free (why? she is rich as hell) & Ellen gave away some awesome crap.

Now, that is very, very deeply weird!

I don't find it weird at all that Oprah commented on the real-ness of Kate's boobs. Oprah sees Hollywoodland up close and personal everyday. It's tiring to see all the phoniness that is cranked out of Hollywood and onto the big screen and thrown into our faces everyday. If it weren't for that, implants would never be the topic of conversation like they are nearly everywhere these days.

Dallas is chock-a-block full of artificially enhanced breasts. It is relatively rare to see a young woman without them if she is pretty, slim and either has her own wealth or has some guy or parent supplying the cash for the surgery.

It's everyone's right to dislike or like Oprah and to voice opinions. She puts herself out there everyday and in a very open format.

That being said, I agree with Green and I do think that she is very good at what she does. Let's face it, she's one of the most powerful women in the United States - in face she's darned influencial all over the world.

I believe that she has evolved from being a small town girl into a highly glamorized powerhouse media producer. And she's now like many of you have said, really, really full of herself. I occasionally try to watch her, but I find most of her shows really boring and a waste of time.

But I've really enjoyed some of her shows on health and nutrition. I don't criticize her for choosing not to have WLS when in fact, there's probably been a lot of pressure on her to have surgery. I also don't expect her to criticize me for having it either.

As for the two books where she was fooled by the authors, you're giving her way too much credit. She has a powerful and effective staff lining up her shows (and her books) but I doubt very seriously if they have the ability to verify facts stated in random books. It is encumbent on the publishers to do that. Just like newspapers must verify that their reporters stories are true. She was sucked in, just like the publishers and many, many readers. It wasn't cool, but it also isn't all that surprising.

As for the Texans who sued her because she dissed beef, remember folks, she won.

I don't criticize her for choosing not to have WLS when in fact, there's probably been a lot of pressure on her to have surgery. I also don't expect her to criticize me for having it either.

I don't criticize her for not having surgery either. I do criticize her for presenting such a biased view of it and for subtly criticizing those who have had it.

I

Dallas is chock-a-block full of artificially enhanced breasts. It is relatively rare to see a young woman without them if she is pretty, slim and either has her own wealth or has some guy or parent supplying the cash for the surgery.

Lol, interesting. DH and I were given a whole set of Midsomer Murders on DVD, which is a British detective series, we're a bit hooked on those and have about 200 Taggart DVD's, so we're onto something new.

We've always giggled at the people on the shows. Made jokes about how unattractive the English are.

Why? Because we're so exposed to the Hollywood view of beauty, that to see completely normal looking people on TV, people without blinding white teeth, enormous plastic tits, bits of fat sucked from every slightly curvy part of their body, huge hair and incredible makeup, looks really WEIRD. Yet people still look pretty much normal in Australia and older women with obvious face lifts and work done are really seen as a bit tragic, definitely stereotyped as bored, rich and unfulfilled. You dont see fake boobs all over the place and IRL I dont know anyone who's had a face lift. Yet its so pervasive isnt it? That for a star to have real breasts is quite comment-worthy.

Has anyone seen that cartoon about what Hollywood would do to the Mona Lisa? Its freaking hilarious because its so tragically true.

I dont think it was weird for her to comment either. In my view Kate Winslet is SO much more gorgeous than so many other fake looking starlets and her naturalness is quite refreshing.

Edited by Jachut

I think it's weird because it's too personal.

Yeah, let me rephrase perhaps. Its not weird to notice and appreciate Kate's natural squishiness, lol. Its rather weird to go on about it on national television.

I found the comment about Kate Winslet's breasts in "bad taste" really. It just isn't something that should be blurted out on a TV show. I think it's a case of "maybe you had to see the show" to see how it was presented. Kate Winslet is a wonderful actress, did a great job in Revolutionary Road (although the movie is a whole nuther subject), but that was over the top even for Oprah. Kate replied with gesture-"oh you mean down to here" or "under my arms when I lay down". Give me a break, that was such an unnecessary comment, & it in no way mean I approve or disapprove of breast surgery, because I don't give a fiddler's damn about it. It's a personal decision. It just seemed inappropriate in the way it was said-but Oprah, well I guess she can get away with anything-sadly.

that was such an unnecessary comment, & it in no way mean I approve or disapprove of breast surgery, because I don't give a fiddler's damn about it. I

What's the metric conversion to a "fiddler's damn"?

My .02 cents, for what it is worth. Oprah is a tw@twaffle. I a so annoyed with her giving away cars (for publicity) and opening schools (again, for publicity), and I personally think she fluctuates her weight on purpose so she can have some sort of human interest publicity 'relate to the little people' story. I mean, with the weight issues this country (and others) faces, who does not want to see someone like Oprah 'fall from grace'? She is a PITA.

My .02 cents, for what it is worth. Oprah is a tw@twaffle. I a so annoyed with her giving away cars (for publicity) and opening schools (again, for publicity), and I personally think she fluctuates her weight on purpose so she can have some sort of human interest publicity 'relate to the little people' story. I mean, with the weight issues this country (and others) faces, who does not want to see someone like Oprah 'fall from grace'? She is a PITA.

I don't think she intentionally gains weight, I think she battles the same demons as the rest of us. She just won't acknowledge why she has these issues so she can finally resolve them.

I don't think she intentionally gains weight, I think she battles the same demons as the rest of us. She just won't acknowledge why she has these issues so she can finally resolve them.

Good point.