Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill - OUCH! - Getting Stuck

Band put it on 11/13/08. First fill on 12/23 to 3cc. I can still eat quite a bit (I had two pieces of pizza the other day and ate Christmas dinner quite well), but things are getting stuck and ouch it is so painful. Severe pain in chest.... Not sure what this means.... Do I need another fill since I can eat quite a bit? Is that going to make me get "stuck" more?

First of all, it's very different now. If you're anything like me, you cheated with the rules, of chew, chew, chew.. and really small bites. You did it when you thought of it, but it's almost always the first bite that gets you.

Get into the habit now! The more fills you get, the more this will make complete sense and become a necessity.

Sometimes you might lose a little of the saline due to air pockets etc on your first fill, I lost .5 cc's. If you have a larger band, you might take longer to feel the restriction. But it hasn't been that long since you got the fill. Call your doctor and discuss it.

Didn't you have to follow a 'fill diet'? I know each doctor is different, but most have a reduced plan similar to the after surgery diet, but with fewer days on each stage. You mentioned eating a regular Christmas dinner just a couple of days later. If you have a 'fill diet' be sure you stick to it. Again, each fill is different and what you did on the first fill you may not be able to do on the second fill. So be sure to develop good eating habits and follow the plan and rules.

pizza is a tough food to eat.

You might be able to eat it one day and not the next. I'd stick to thin crust.

You might also invest in a toddler's silverware set. This will help you with bite control. Taking your time to eat and chew really well will also help fill you up. You have to concentrate on eating. Sometimes we eat while being distracted, talking, TV etc... so you aren't paying attention. Then you get stuck.

I had a hard time adjusting after my second fill, so learn from my mistakes.:tongue_smilie:

My doctor did not give me any post-fill diet. Just said to eat healthy, etc....

I think I have been chewing well... but I guess I could probably do a little better. I admit to not eating perfectly healthy (over the holidays I had a real hard time - I'm a food addict), but I real don't have much restriction. As long as I can handle the stuck feeling, I can eat quite a bit. And if its something I don't get stuck on, I can eat more.

So, do I need a fill? I made an appt for this Tuesday to go in... I think I do need a fill because I definitely am not have the restriction I need to lose weight.

Thoughts?

Today was my first fill. On liquids for 24 hours. It was too much. I felt that same chest pain you mention before the Water came back. So sounds like maybe you're forcing too much and too big a bite. The idea of toddler fork and spoon is a good one. My nutritionist suggested it as well because I have difficulty taking the smaller bite.

If you're already getting stuck and having chest pain, I'm just curious why you think another fill will be helpful? :wink2: Be careful, remember over eating is the main cause of slippage and may stretch your esophogus.