Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Boring plateaus

How do you all deal with the boring, frustrating, annoying, time wasting pesky little plateaus. Now I know I should'nt moan because I have now lost 56 pounds, I was banded on Jan 29th and lost most of that weight (39 pounds of it ) in the first 8 weeks. Since then it has been really hit and miss. I had my 2nd fill approx 6 weeks ago and I cant honestly say I am feeling hungry or overeating and I am doing plenty of exercise so what could I be doing wrong ??

Ta

Gaynor

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Not a thing. I am convinced that it is your brain's way of adjusting. Adjusting to your new size, to the new ammount of space you take up. I think they happen when our bodies/minds sort of panic and they just have to get used to the new "you." Your heart has to pump less blood, etc. Lots of adjustments are going on behind the sceens.

You've lost close to 60 pounds! You've lost over 25 KG! You've lost 3.5 stones! That more weight than a giant bag of rice!

It also seems that when we see the scale stop moving other things are going on. Are you tracking your measurements? How many inches/cm have you lost??? How many sizes and notches on your belt???

How much better do you feel?

Pesky plateaus. I had hit one at banding weight around 220, Hit another one at 208, now another at 199. I was hoping my fill would give me more of a boost than the 9 pounds I have lost since then...but Vinesqueen is right. It takes a sec for your body to adjust. I don't particularly like plateaus either...but I know they are good. They give your metabolism a chance to adjust to your slimmer figure! That's what I keep reminding myself of...but it's still frustrating to see 199 on the scale EVERY DAY!!!! Augghhh!!

We'll get there...sigh.

Thanks girls you've made me feel a lot better (again) I know its good sound advice and Vinequeen you asked how I felt well I feel great, I guess patience is a virtue. I'll let you know how I go.

I was starting to worry as another bandster said I was eating far too much, that steak should be a thing of the past and I should not be able to tolerate bread, but I dont want to starve If I dont need to, and I dont want a fill unless I really need one.

thanks

Gaynor

Gaynor, I can eat everything. And sometimes I do. but not all at once! :) Why shouldn't you be able to tolarate steak? Talk about your hard protiens! A nice whole grain bread with lots of Fiber is actually a good thing, every now and again. Just not an entire loaf!

As long as you are getting 1200 to 1500 calories aday, with adaquate protiens... that's the target range.

Patience is soooo hard. We see people who seem to be doing so much "better" than we are. We see the loss that the RNY poeple have. One of our greatest challenges is to not compair against anybody else.

I'm personally frustrated with my slow loss. Other people see my loss and think "wow! she's just got the weight falling off her." but I compaire myself against folks that have lost double what I've lost and I want to kick something. I am concentrating on my NSVs and trying desperately to ignore the evil evil evil scale.

that steak should be a thing of the past and I should not be able to tolerate bread, but I dont want to starve If I dont need to, and I dont want a fill unless I really need one.

thanks

Gaynor

Huh? Okay, some folks are so tight that steak is a no-no and bread just ain't happenin'. But...for most folks, that should loosen over time with weight loss! It's a temporary thing! How else do you think this band will work long term? It won't be by feeling like you will Never Ever be able to feed yourself again. This food addiction is a big thing! The band just helps make it smaller. I ate thin crust pizza for lunch. I didn't look back. Maybe I could have had something "better" for me. Perhaps I should have. But, know what? It was yummy, I'm full, I didn't eat the entire thing like I would have pre-band, and now I'll have a sensible dinner with veggies. So there. Maybe this is what's got me stuck at 199, whateva! I think you got it right about not starving yourself and not getting a fill unless you really need one. You'll know when that is. See, I knew you were smart!!!

Another thing: I had my fill weeks ago and things are settling down a little. I find I'm able to eat things I wouldn't have been able to eat a week after my fill, like the pizza. What IS different since before my fill, is not so much what I'm NOT able to eat now, it's that I'm haveing to be very careful with the chewing and the smaller bites. When that happens, may quantity goes down too. I just can't let myself get too hungry, and I can't let myself snack on junk. Cuz the junk goes down WAAAYY too easy! :)

Kathy and Vinesqueen I know I can always count on you for good sound advice, i do appreciate it and it does help.

And anyhow like you say other people are really starting to notice the results and I do feel so much better than I did 6 months ago.

thanks again

Gaynor

"Kathy and Vinesqueen I know I can always count on you for good sound advice, i do appreciate it and it does help."

Crystal! Tag Team High Five *clap* *circle snap* shake yer booty dance around! Yeah Baby!

Good job, Gaynor! Eat that steak, girl! Just NOT the whole 24 ounces!