Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Lap Band Buddy / Mentor Surgery/fear /Someone to talk to

:confused:I am having my surgery Monday Dec 29, 2008 at 12:30 and right now I am scared s***. I'm so afraid this won't work and I will fail again...My name is Sue Boule', I come from Dracut, Massachusetts, I'm 56, married going on 37 yrs. I have 4 children (3 living..1 KIA IRAQ) 10 grandkids. I sew, knit, crochet, garden, read and with all that I still can't get my mind off the surgery and the only person I know that had it is a pompous idiot who talks down to me and tells me things I can't have while he pigs out drinking coke and eating 4 hot dogs & fries & then grunts & goes into the restroom (at the diner). I sure could use someone to talk to because even thou my family tries to understand they just don't :hurray: Anybody out there want to help an old lady???..lol

Hi there!

You've come to the right place for support and understanding. I haven't been banded yet, but I have had surgery and know the fear, and I also understand the fear of failure, because I think about that even though I don't have a date yet.

But I know there are a lot of fantastic people here who will help you, and who will tell you that, the band is a tool, and it can and will help you on your weight loss journey. One thing I can't stress enough is the importance of talking to people who understand, and that's what this site is all about. The person you mentioned who eats four hot dogs and then goes to the bathroom is certainly no one you should listen to; you need people who will encourage you, and maybe even give you a little tough love if it's needed. That's what I tell myself.

I'm sorry I can't offer much help, but I know someone will come along who can. Stick around, and welcome to LBT!

Debbie

Hi Sue, my name is Kathy and I live in Sacramento, CA. I had my band surgery on election day, 11/4/08. I'm 52 and I, too, think about it notworking for me and failing once again. I think that's entirely natural. I've lost 15 pounds since surgery and I'm a little disappointed, yet I haven't really followed my dietary suggestions all that well. (Xmas and all). I think you're having you're surgery at a good time to start with the new year.

Don't be afraid of the surgery. Now, I know every doctor is different, but it really was not bad. I was anxious, but not overly so. I checked in about 10:30 a.m., talked to docs, went into surgery about 12, and I was home by 2:30. I live about 30 minutes from hospital. I've never had children, still have my tonsils, appendix, gall bladder,so I really don't have any pain to compare it to. But it didn't hurt. I can't say I was inpain. It was muscle soreness, especially at port site. That's the biggest incision they make. It's like you did a thousand sit ups, that kind of muscle pain. They gave me liquid tylenol as needed. Only time I got nauseous was when I took full dose of medicine. That was the last time I took it. I did fine with tylenol from then on. I was off work from Tuesday (surgery day) and went back to work on Monday. Depends on what you do for a living, as to when you go back to work. I was glad I was off the four days I was. I too only knew one person who had had the surgery. She was a much better resource for me than your friend sounds like. I'm sure everybody's experience is somewhat different, but that's been mine. Surgery is nothing to be afraid of, and I consider myself a real wuss.

I had my first fill on 12/23/08, and that too, wasnot bad. It made for a real challenge, whatwith allof the Xmas food around. But I'mback to Sac tomorrow, (I'mvisiting family in Northern California), and back to work on Monday. And I'm determined to get back into it. Good luck with your surgery. Don't be scared. You'll do fine.

So sorry to hear your son was KIA in Iraq. I can't begin to imagine what you and your family are going through. I'm sure you're very proud of him. Again, sorry for your loss. Kathy

Hi Sue, my name is Kathy and I live in Sacramento, CA. I had my band surgery on election day, 11/4/08. I'm 52 and I, too, think about it notworking for me and failing once again. I think that's entirely natural. I've lost 15 pounds since surgery and I'm a little disappointed, yet I haven't really followed my dietary suggestions all that well. (Xmas and all). I think you're having you're surgery at a good time to start with the new year.

Don't be afraid of the surgery. Now, I know every doctor is different, but it really was not bad. I was anxious, but not overly so. I checked in about 10:30 a.m., talked to docs, went into surgery about 12, and I was home by 2:30. I live about 30 minutes from hospital. I've never had children, still have my tonsils, appendix, gall bladder,so I really don't have any pain to compare it to. But it didn't hurt. I can't say I was inpain. It was muscle soreness, especially at port site. That's the biggest incision they make. It's like you did a thousand sit ups, that kind of muscle pain. They gave me liquid tylenol as needed. Only time I got nauseous was when I took full dose of medicine. That was the last time I took it. I did fine with tylenol from then on. I was off work from Tuesday (surgery day) and went back to work on Monday. Depends on what you do for a living, as to when you go back to work. I was glad I was off the four days I was. I too only knew one person who had had the surgery. She was a much better resource for me than your friend sounds like. I'm sure everybody's experience is somewhat different, but that's been mine. Surgery is nothing to be afraid of, and I consider myself a real wuss.

I had my first fill on 12/23/08, and that too, wasnot bad. It made for a real challenge, whatwith allof the Xmas food around. But I'mback to Sac tomorrow, (I'mvisiting family in Northern California), and back to work on Monday. And I'm determined to get back into it. Good luck with your surgery. Don't be scared. You'll do fine.

So sorry to hear your son was KIA in Iraq. I can't begin to imagine what you and your family are going through. I'm sure you're very proud of him. Again, sorry for your loss. Kathy

:confused:I am having my surgery Monday Dec 29, 2008 at 12:30 and right now I am scared s***. I'm so afraid this won't work and I will fail again...My name is Sue Boule', I come from Dracut, Massachusetts, I'm 56, married going on 37 yrs. I have 4 children (3 living..1 KIA IRAQ) 10 grandkids. I sew, knit, crochet, garden, read and with all that I still can't get my mind off the surgery and the only person I know that had it is a pompous idiot who talks down to me and tells me things I can't have while he pigs out drinking coke and eating 4 hot dogs & fries & then grunts & goes into the restroom (at the diner). I sure could use someone to talk to because even thou my family tries to understand they just don't ;) Anybody out there want to help an old lady???..lol
Ok, #1 you are not old. It is now Dec 31, and I am just now reading this, so by now you have had your surgery. You will not fail, the lap band is a very useful tool. I was banded Oct 28, and have lost 30 pounds, It amazes me everytime I try on clothes I haven't been able to wear, and this is just the beginning. I have all the same hobbies you do, but gardening. I am still new at this myself, but you can give me a holler anytime. Happy New Year, and here's to a new you!:laugh: Linda 11. ps I have 10 grandkids, too.

Edited by linda 11