Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Banded Monday

I'm getting banded on Monday 12/29. I'm happy and nervous. My doctor had his team working overtime to help me get the surgery before the end of the year when my insurance will change and I would then have a $1500 co-pay, with my current insurance I have no co-pay but they denied the surgery. I was ready to give up when my doctor's assistant called and said she was going to appeal it, but it was already 12/19. She called me on the 12/23 and told me she called the insurance company and they told her they have 30 days to respond to the appeal, she left it up to me to come in and do my final weigh in case they approved the surgery for 12/29. I told her I didn't think they would approve it in time, why would they approve it knowing that the company I work for was changing to another carrier and I would no longer be insured by them in 8 days and it was the day before Christmas eve. Two hours later she called me THEY APPROVED IT! I couldn't believe it. I had so much to do before the 29th ......with help from everyone I got it done . My doctor called me personally on 12/24 to tell me he was happy for me and he'll see me Monday morning. I found today that he made a verbal appeal to the insurance company. As the surgery gets closer I am starting to get nervous. Any words of encouragement out.:thumbup:

Edited by DragonflyNY

Don't be nervous now the hard part is over(dealing with insurance) The operation was a breezzz for me getting use to liquids can be a bit nerve racking but think in the long run how happy you will be. You like all the rest of us on this site know what being over weight is and it isn't fun. Good luck to you all will be fine.:thumbup:

Good luck to you too, Treesa. I'm also 45, I live on the other side of the state by Niagara Falls. I will check in after Monday to see how you made out.

Good luck to you too, Treesa. I'm also 45, I live on the other side of the state by Niagara Falls. I will check in after Monday to see how you made out.

I have to be at the hospital at 12:30pm with a 2:30pm surgery time. The dr said i may be in hospital for about 3 days due to a large hiatal hernia repair. I'm trying not to be so nervous which is hard to do as you well know. Lets think of the happiness and good health the band will bring to us and i think we will be just fine. :thumbup:

I'm getting banded on Monday 12/29. I'm happy and nervous. My doctor had his team working overtime to help me get the surgery before the end of the year when my insurance will change and I would then have a $1500 co-pay, with my current insurance I have no co-pay but they denied the surgery. I was ready to give up when my doctor's assistant called and said she was going to appeal it, but it was already 12/19. She called me on the 12/23 and told me she called the insurance company and they told her they have 30 days to respond to the appeal, she left it up to me to come in and do my final weigh in case they approved the surgery for 12/29. I told her I didn't think they would approve it in time, why would they approve it knowing that the company I work for was changing to another carrier and I would no longer be insured by them in 8 days and it was the day before Christmas eve. Two hours later she called me THEY APPROVED IT! I couldn't believe it. I had so much to do before the 29th ......with help from everyone I got it done . My doctor called me personally on 12/24 to tell me he was happy for me and he'll see me Monday morning. I found today that he made a verbal appeal to the insurance company. As the surgery gets closer I am starting to get nervous. Any words of encouragement out.:thumbup:

Your doctor and his office sound like real gems! If they worked this hard for you before surgery you can bet they'll give you lots of support after surgery also. That's great. Best of luck to you. I am just about 4 months post-op and I am thrilled with my band. Just follow the rules and the band will not let you down.

I am getting banded on Monday also. I know how you feel. Let's keep in touch and go through this maraculous transformation together.

Hi Dragon I was banded on 12/9/08 I was operated at 9am and out at 1:30. No pain at all until the 3rd day and that was just a little bit where the port is. I used tylenol liquid extra strength it did the trick no pain pills needed at all. The way I handeled the day of the operation was to think this is the begining of my new life. Nothing would go wrong and it didn't. You will do great. If you need a person to talk to you can e mail me. My address is rob_marsi@yahoo.com

Good luck and stay in touch (stay calm):hurray:

I'm getting banded on Monday 12/29. I'm happy and nervous. My doctor had his team working overtime to help me get the surgery before the end of the year when my insurance will change and I would then have a $1500 co-pay, with my current insurance I have no co-pay but they denied the surgery. I was ready to give up when my doctor's assistant called and said she was going to appeal it, but it was already 12/19. She called me on the 12/23 and told me she called the insurance company and they told her they have 30 days to respond to the appeal, she left it up to me to come in and do my final weigh in case they approved the surgery for 12/29. I told her I didn't think they would approve it in time, why would they approve it knowing that the company I work for was changing to another carrier and I would no longer be insured by them in 8 days and it was the day before Christmas eve. Two hours later she called me THEY APPROVED IT! I couldn't believe it. I had so much to do before the 29th ......with help from everyone I got it done . My doctor called me personally on 12/24 to tell me he was happy for me and he'll see me Monday morning. I found today that he made a verbal appeal to the insurance company. As the surgery gets closer I am starting to get nervous. Any words of encouragement out.:hurray:

Hello, I'm in the same boat as you... I am having surgery monday as well... The ladies at the office got me in before the 1st due to insurance change as well, although I didn't get a denial, BCBS gave me the run around a couple weeks into November and I was worried that I would not get an approval before the first.... Do you have a pre-op diet? Mine is liquids for 48 hours.... I'm getting nervous with a whole bag of mixed emotions... Good Luck

I have to be at the hospital at 8am surgery at 11:30. Should be released the next day. Still nervous but looking forward to a heathier life. Talk to you after the surgery.

My pre-op diet is no carbs. Today only Breakfast, then phospho soda, then liquids for the rest of the day, nothing after midnight. I've lost another 2lbs. Good luck with surgery tomorrow.