Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I'm sooo hungry!

if you followed his rules post op re liquids etc and are just now eating the burgers and fries you'll probably be fine! If you were eating them from much earlier on, you may be in trouble.

So we are in the same boat! When do you go to your doctor? I guess we just do what Restless Monkey said and talk to our doctor about it. Don't worry, WE will be okay.

Hi guys - i've been back on the full liquids for 2 days now and am doing OK - i've upped the Protein drinks and that has made a big difference - especially knowing about the damage that I could do if I come off them. I was banded on the 19th Dec and my doc says full liquids for another 3-4 days - then I get to go to pureed food... and he's got a track record of very little slippage with his patients. I'm going to stick to the plan like glue.... I'll call tomorrow and ask about the stitches --- but I feel fine. Great in fact - so I'm hoping it was no big deal. I never felt any pain whatsoever, so hopefully my stomach is fine and the scar tissue can heal over the band.

Thanks for the advice - we've got to get this info on the Pre-Op bit of this site.. It's so damaging for people not to know this before their surgery. We're all apt to cheat - that's why we need the band in the first place... oh well... live and learn.

S

I was also banded on Dec. 19. and am just the opposite. I don't feel hungry at all. I didn't eat anything the day of surgery except ice chips and then Clear Liquids the next day. When I left the hospital the evening of the 20th, I was told I could start full liquids the next day.

I'm actually worried that I'm not eating enough. I usually have four ounces of a Protein shake for Breakfast (right now it's Boost high protein), sometimes I have four more ounces at lunch and sometimes I don't, and then I have four ounces of some sort of cream Soup broth (usually potato made with skim milk) for supper. That's it. I don't feel like I can eat anything else. So I'm eating between 8 and 12 oz a day.

I don't feel bad. I actually feel pretty good, but my husband is starting to worry that I'm not getting enough nutrients or calories.

I'm drinking alot of Water and I guess that has me filled up. I go to the doctor Tuesday, so I guess I'll check with him.

I lost 14.8 pounds on the 10 day liquid diet before surgery and I've lost 8 pounds since surgery for a total of 22.8 so far.

Hi guys - just thought it would be worthwhile to let you know. I just spoke to my doctor and they said that I'm totally fine! They said that if you eat something solid - like steak or chicken or a sandwich - then your stomach would churn and likely tear the stitches, but that it's very very very rare that you would do any harm eating soft and mushy food like the eggs and ice cream that I had. I'm so relieved... They do the progression of liquids and purees to be extra safe, but not to worry... Whew! I'm so relieved!!

Anyways - for all of the rest of you out there, still worthwhile doing exactly what your doctor is telling you to do, but don't worry too much.

Try liquid Isopure. It has 40 grams of Protein and zero carbs. They come in various fruity flavors. I like the frosted grape and apple-melon. They keep you full, while giving you protein.

Hi guys - just thought it would be worthwhile to let you know. I just spoke to my doctor and they said that I'm totally fine! They said that if you eat something solid - like steak or chicken or a sandwich - then your stomach would churn and likely tear the stitches, but that it's very very very rare that you would do any harm eating soft and mushy food like the eggs and ice cream that I had. I'm so relieved... They do the progression of liquids and purees to be extra safe, but not to worry... Whew! I'm so relieved!!

Anyways - for all of the rest of you out there, still worthwhile doing exactly what your doctor is telling you to do, but don't worry too much.

Thanks for updating that info! I don't want to be giving out wrong info to new bandsters; I'll be sure to include the "probably ok if it's really blended" caveat! But you are right; best to do exactly what our docs tell us. Even if they ARE all different! :tongue2:

Hi all - just thought I would post another update. Things here are now going much better. I'm now on the doctor recommended mushie food phase of my plan... I'm moving back to solid foods in a day or so... can't wait! But, I'm definitely not as hungry as I was before the surgery. Might be because I'm now not used to eating so much, or because there's been a change in my stomach size, but I'm finding that some Protein and a few veggies is doing me quite nicely.

I'm back on the treadmill everyday - in fact, I've got to go to do that next - and am feeling stronger. The weight loss is moving again... it's all good. I'll post another update after my first fill which is scheduled for the 21st Jan.

s

Hello I had my band on 12/29/08. I to am very hungry. I have to stay on Clear Liquids and can not have mushy foods until 1/13/09. I have cheated and had some cream of turkey Soup. I do drink Protein Shakes 4 times a day a nd a lot of Water. My question is that each doctor seems to have a different plan. Why?

I was banded on Dec 22, and was on full liquids. After reading this, I now feel worried. On Saturday, I had refried Beans, 2 mashed meatballs, a tiny bite of spinach dip, and yesterday I had scrambled eggs and corned beef hash. I did not know about the ripping thing. I didn't feel any pain and only had a small amount, but now I am worried.

I have been losing steadily, and today had yogurt and Protein Shake so far. I am controlling my hunger by not giving in to it, and keeping my cals below 1000. I found the more I ate, the hungrier I got. Hope this helps...

Hey guys - don't worry too much. Ask your doc if you're concerned, but they told me that it's very very rare that you'll have a tear or loosen the stitches. That being said, you should definitely stay on the liquids as your doc prescribes. It's something to do with healing and scar tissue.

s

Each person should follow his/her docs rules and ask the DOC if in doubt....solid foods too early can tear the stitches and do damage...and shelly2b's doc even told her she "probably" was ok just eating mushies! Not to be a Grinch; it is HARD to stick to the post op diet but there's a reason for it. We all heal differently and even surgeons have different surgical techniques etc. SO

do what your doc says, and if you cheat, let him/her know so they can reassure you, check you out, whatever. The rules aren't there just for punishment, you know! :wink_smile: (my doc assured us he does not own stock in EAS shakes, for example LOL)