Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Using your gym membership

Ok for Christmas, Dh and I got a gym membership. Good part, we know the owner (friend of dh's).

Bad part: My self confidence and fears that I have about going to gym is getting bigger and bigger.

I'm a big girl and I'm so nervous to go there.

I just want to get used to going and doing aerobic activity.

What should I do? How do you overcome your fears? HOw did you start out?

I wish I could make the fear go away!

Lori,

We all on here are or were "big" girls or guys. I totally understand how you feel, but you must face your fear and go to the gym. I have found that a group fitness class or aqua aerobics is great for helping to build your confidence in the gym. Also, you may want someone to show you how to use the exercise equipment properly and that will help build your confidence. Get on a bike or an eliptical and have fun with it. You can do it! :thumbup:

Its a horrible feeling isnt it?

I ran a lot in my teens/early 20's but I was so embarrassed to be seen, I used to go very very early in the morning or late at night.

As an older adult, I've shaken that fear off now. I just MADE myself go out in public and run and eventually, I became less self conscious doing it. Nobody cares. You're not half as important to other people as you think you are and if they think something nasty, its jsut that, a thought and gone.

If you make yourself do it, you will get more comfortable with it. And many people will be thinking positive thoughts for you if they even take enough time from watching/thinking about themselves to notice you at all.

Ok for Christmas, Dh and I got a gym membership. Good part, we know the owner (friend of dh's).

Bad part: My self confidence and fears that I have about going to gym is getting bigger and bigger.

I'm a big girl and I'm so nervous to go there.

I just want to get used to going and doing aerobic activity.

What should I do? How do you overcome your fears? HOw did you start out?

I wish I could make the fear go away!

I have gone to different gyms for over 10 years - college gyms, commercial gyms like Bally's, and the YMCA. I find there are people of all sizes, shapes, etc. at all of them. You may find a time when the place is not too busy when you may feel more comfortable. I have found the Y to be the most friendly place I have ever been.

Thank you all! This is such a stupid fear I know. I was extremely athletic half my life until age 28. I know how to work out, I think I'm surprised at how much I can't do and I get disappointed.

It'll take time, and I will do it. I just hate the thought of starting, kind of like getting a shot. lol

I had such a fear of the gym, that I paid for my membership for 3 years and never went in the doors!!! (This was after I was a gym-junkie for awhile and lost 50 lbs and put it back on and more.)

I have gone now, and it's not so bad. Just get yourself something you think is cute to wear (it helps with the frumpy feeling) and get on the machines. Seriously! Target has a good workout section for plus sizes.

My buff brother is a personal trainer, and he says most people just think that it's awesome that you're doing something good for yourself.

When I was in counseling about a year ago, one of the issues we talked about was my stupid gym membership and my fear of the gym.. yeah, it feels lame to say it now!! However, since being banded I do go in!

YOU CAN DO IT!! If you and your husband both got memberships, have him go with you the first time.

i was terrified to workout in the gym! i thought i would be the fattest, sweatiest person there and everyone would stare at me! not so at all...there are many other chubby people there just trying to do their thing and those that are in super duper shape are there to maintain their shape. they are focused on themselves and could care less about what is going on around them. don't be scared! you too will get addicted and ignore everything around you!