Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mushie phase!

My doctor calls them purees (but I clarified he meant mashed potatoes and babyfood consistency stuff).

I start them today. 11 days after surgery. I'm so very aware that I want to make sure I heal properly because I'm a gigantic poodle and never ever want surgery again for slippage etc. lol

Can you help clarify that these would be considered mushy foods?:

butternut squash mashed

fat free refriend Beans with sour cream and cheese

pastina with lowfat butter and parm cheese

hummus

then basically anything stuff in blender like we're having crown rib for christmas.. thought I'd stuff it in blender and have that with applesauce. (doc said this would be ok.. )

and

white fish (haddock) baked but NOT pureed in blender because EWWWW (very curious about this.. I can eat this baked "whole" yes?)

And how much should I limit myself to? Because I had 3/4 a cup of pureed low fat chili earlier and still didn't feel full (but wasn't extremely hungry!

And should I continue my Protein Shakes to make sure I get in my Protein so I don't shoot my hair out like a hedgehog and I minimize saggy skin?

Thanks so much for helping this newbie!

According to the guidelines I was given for puree, all of those things would be great except the fish. Puree is the consistency of baby food...I actually sometimes eat baby food when I am on puree. Your tummy would have to churn to break down the fish. I was told that after puree I should start with soft foods like fish then work my way up to more solid foods.

I was not told to measure my food during this stage. I was just told to eat when I am hungry and stop when I am satisfied. This is a good time to learn this rule. (in the beginning it is hard for a lot of us to identify true hunger and the difference between satisfied and full) I think I ate close to if not a cup a food per meal during this time. Because I had no restriction I would not stay full for several hours so I would supplement my Protein with a shake if I got really hungry between meals. If you are not getting your recommended Protein with your three meals you should probably supplement with a shake.< /p>

Edited by Jodi_620

Hi Beth,

I got the same list of foods for my mushy phase including the same fish. The big thing my surgeon said with the haddock, tuna, and canned chicken was that it needed to be mashed with lots of low fat mayo. So sure bake the haddock and then know your need to mash it up like your making tuna salad.