Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help Me get Excited Again

Guest macipaigemom

Guest macipaigemom

Hi there- I have researched galore on the lapband and decided it was for me. I spent months getting my husband to agree. I went to the siminar offered by the dr. here and went in for my consultation. The surgery (that I've been crying to have) is now scheduled for Sept. But all of a sudden I'm getting really scared and ready to back out. I know I need the help- I've tried every diet before and have never been successful, so why do I think I can do it on my own now- I've only gained consistantly over the last several years. I read about the PBing and the learning and it scares me to death. I keep thinking this will change me for life- part of me loves that, part of me is scared to death. I'm not good with change to begin with so I know that is my problem- making it a huge issue- but I'm looking for support here! I need people to tell me if I'm normal going thru this or what. I know I can't lose the weight without it- and I need to lose the weight- but is it normal to have these mixed emotions- can you tell me what you've achieved, your pro's and con's of the band- if you had doubts like this- and your feelings now about it! you guys are so wonderful- I usually just read and nver post but I know you will help me out with this- thanks so much-

I'll just say this....your fears and doubts are totally NORMAL. I mean, I was walking into the operating room telling myself "you don't have to do this....you don't have to do this...." Having these kinds of doubts and questions are normal.

When I scheduled my surgery, I asked the person "so what is the time when I can cancel?" She said "I don't think anyone has ever asked me that".

I am glad you've given yourself a month before the surgery. I did the same thing, scheduled my June date in April. I took the month of May to decide.....and I went through a whole RANGE of emotions in that month. But by the end of the month I was ready to go.

So spend the next month researching. Go on the web and go to everyone's personal site you can find, read every article, read this board and all the others (there are a few). Hear what people are saying. Spend hours deep in thought about how YOU visualize it will be.

And always remember you don't have to do this....you can ALWAYS back out, even in the moments leading up to the actual surgery. You remain in control of this process.

I don't know if I can get you excited about the band or not. This is not for everyone. It really isn't.

The week before my surgery I was a wreck! A real basket case. I thought for sure that I was going to wear a hole in my carpet. Thank the Gods for tranquilizers!

I only have one regret about getting the Band. Just one. My regret is that I didn't do this sooner. This is by far the best thing I've done for me. And it was just for me. Not for my family, it was just for me.

I was facing resperatory failure. The biggest thing I've noticed is that my asthma is completely under control for the first time in probably 5 years. This Christmas break I spent a long time in the hosptial. Days before my band surgery, they had to call 911 during class. I couldn't even make it to the parking lot under my own power for someone to drive me the .3 miles to the ER. I was on steroids, masive ammounts of the inhalers, and extra nubulizers. I was banded in Mid-March. I find that I dont' even bring my inhaler with me all the time anymore.

I've lost 35 pounds, give or take. I've gone from a 3X shirt to a 1X. I'm wearing clothes that I haven't fit into for 5 years or more.

My son said that I am "much more lively and less cranky" since I've been banded.

I agree with Karen, I'm sure we all had doubts. I was banded 6 months ago and have lost 56 pounds. I have never looked back, this is the first time for years I have lost so much weight in so little time. I feel great, I feel normal, I also have loads of energy. I have only pbd once in that time and although it wasn't pleasant it was bearable and really if we do everything we are told ie chew thoroughly etc it should not happen at all. Having said that It has to be your decision so do carry on with your research, but I think you will hear more positives than negatives.

Good luck

Gaynor

Well, I am having my surgery tomorrow and yes I am scared to death! But I am going to do it because I know that it is right for me. As for the scary things that you read about, I really think that just a minority of the banders suffer from those things. If you stick to the diet and chew, chew, chew...things will be fine.

I was scared...but I am so glad I went through with it. The 40 pounds lost in just 6 short weeks have been wonderful. I can tell a difference in my clothes already. I agree with vinesqueen my only regret is not getting not getting it done sooner.

In the 6 weeks I think I have Pbed 4 - 5 times. It's not bad but as soon as it goes down you know you have chewed enough. Once was out at a restuarant and I just went to the bathroom and I was fine.

I think this site will be encourgement enough for you....after the surgey you will wonder why you so scared...I know I did.

Good Luck!!! Welcome to Bandland..I think it's the best.

I think all of us have been nervous at one point prior to the band. I am getting my first fill today, and I'm nervous as can be. I don't know why though. It's been great. I've lost 25 punds in 6 weeks. I've never PB'd. I follow the chew, chew, chew. I was worried about never eating certain foods again, but you can. As a matter of fact, I'm eating a grilled ham and cheese sandwich with a few doritos now. It's only 4 oz and has 17 grams protien. As far as the munching, what's nice is now you only need one or two bites whereas before it was the whole thing. I agree, the only thing I regret is not getting it done years ago!!!!!