Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone on a nutritionist's plan?

I have been having serious thoughts about my band. I've been hating it. I'm tight some days, not other days - but really I don't care about that. What's been bugging me is that I haven't lost weight for 6 months.

I feel that I've been eating right. To the point where I thought maybe the next thing to give up was my coffee. (shudder...I love my coffee).

I do exercise...about 3 times a week (sometimes more), but the least is 3 times. I thought I was doing well, since I was never an exerciser before.

I am getting to the point in the year where there is bad food and EGG NOG, yum, and I'm having a hard time resisting that. But, prior to November, I was in the same boat.

So, I went to a nutritionist, and she put me on 1500 calorie a day, which is broken into 167 grams of carbs, 100 grams of Protein, and 49 grams of fat. (Or Exchanges, which I really don't understand. I get the grams of things...I can add and that's it.)

I've been on this for 3 days, and I do know that I put more carbs into my coffee than I thought, BUT also by the end of the day, it looks like I haven't been getting enough protein or carbs. I get a lot of fat, though...and I need to cut back on that.

Anyone else on a plan like this one?

My nutritionist has me on something similar. I can have 1100-1200 calories a day and it must include 80 grams of Protein. I try to limit my fat intake and I intentionally (sp) limit my carbs! I am a bread addict!

My dr wants us to really limit bread, rice, Pasta for the first 6 mos to eliminate the habit of making those foods a first choice. This has been good for me. I now think Protein first, veggies, fruit second. I do eat whole grain crackers that are thin, I have to limit myself to one serving a day, again - carb addict! They seem to go down well. I have convinced myself that I CAN

NOT eat bread - self imposed for the obvious reason. LOL!

I find it hard to get in all of my protein, I too have to really work at it. I do add plain Protein powder to my oatmeal in the morning to get an extra boost. I was eating salad with chicken for lunch, but after this last fill the lettuce isn't going down so well. So I have been eating turkey meatballs, turkey meatloaf, grilled chicken strips, cottage cheese, etc. Apples with Peanut Butter are my current fav in the evening!

I find it helpful to write it all down during the day, so I am aware of what I am eating. I have a pretty good handle on serving size, but I still occasionally measure, just to self-check. I do go over in calories every so often, but I consider every day a new day and go back and start over again. I do have to push for protein, it is really hard - good luck, try to stay on track, it is hard this time of year with all of the temptations!

My nutrtionist also said to eat 150-160 grams of carbs a day and I looked at her like she had 2 heads! I haven't had my first fill yet and this has been a tough time of year to be dieting - I haven't checked the scale in over a week because I'm afraid. I'm trying to eat right but am not always doing so. I'm not pigging out like I used to but not always eating healthy either.Actually, I am eating much healthier but every time Im eat carbs - I feel like I'm cheating.

I'm not on a plan like this...but I am familiar with the concept. I was on several similar diets pre-op and learned a lot about the principles behind it during the college nutrition courses I'm taking for work.

I have a lot of trouble sticking to diets like this because of the enormous amount of planning required to make it work. Hitting 100g of Protein every day is hard. There are loads of websites that will tell you how many calories and such are in your favorite foods.

In addition to eating well, it may help to change up your exercise routine. Adding strength training or increasing the weight you're lifting can boost your muscle mass. Muscle burns more calories than fat even when you're just sitting around...so more muscle is good.

Interval training can also boost your calorie burn. Instead of going at a steady pace, mix it up. Increase your speed, incline, or intensity for a minute...then slow it back down for a minute and repeat. The effect is amazing.

Good luck!

Yeah, I'm not doing so well. :smile: Number one, it's christmas! I came in to work today with Cheesecake, Brownies, truffles and chocolate covered almonds as my morning temptations.

I'm finding the fat allotment is swallowed up, pretty much early in the day, and I feel like I'm cheating.

I'm either eating sweets, or I'm not eating at all....bad, bad, bad me.

Also, the planning is extensive, and I'm not that good at it. I know I need to change a few things in order to kick start the weight-loss, but how do you change something in your life so drastically??? I'm not a planner, and never have been. How can I do this?

At the bottom of my paperwork, each day's journal asks: Did you set yourself up for failure or success. I'm really getting the crap beat out of me emotionally because each day I have to circle FAILURE. Uggg.

There's gotta be a better way, right?

In addition to eating well, it may help to change up your exercise routine. Adding strength training or increasing the weight you're lifting can boost your muscle mass. Muscle burns more calories than fat even when you're just sitting around...so more muscle is good.

Interval training can also boost your calorie burn. Instead of going at a steady pace, mix it up. Increase your speed, incline, or intensity for a minute...then slow it back down for a minute and repeat. The effect is amazing.

Good luck!

I think I do need to step it up a bit there, as well. Nutritionist has me at 30 min/per day of fat burn or cardio 4x week, PLUS 3x week of weight training - which I've started to do at home w/hand held weights.

This brings me to another stumper...maybe I should post in Fitness section.

DH gets on eliptical and punches in weight/age and time range (30 min)...fat burn - and the machine says his target heart-rate is around 130.

I do same thing - and my target is 122.

I barely break a sweat before I've hit my target and I can easily get into the 190's.

DH gets on there and has to work harder and harder to get to 120. Sweat is pouring down his head/face and I'm just trotting along.

What's the difference there?

At the bottom of my paperwork, each day's journal asks: Did you set yourself up for failure or success. I'm really getting the crap beat out of me emotionally because each day I have to circle FAILURE. Uggg.

Seriously? Do me a favor: go get that paperwork and circle "success" on every single day. Yes, right now. Go on. We'll be here when you get back.

Done? Good. Doesn't that feel better? You need support right now, not reprimands.

While you can sabotage your efforts, you mustn't think of it in terms of success or failure. This diet shouldn't be a test that you pass or fail. It should be used as a training tool to help you see what normal eating should look like.

The band won't work if we don't make lifelong changes in our eating habits and patterns. This diet is showing you how to make those changes.

Yes, it's really hard. Yes, it requires a boatload of planning. You have every right to feel frustrated and deprived.

Give yourself some credit though. You're making major changes in your life right now. There will be bumps in the road. Treat your mistakes as learning experiences, not failures.

I think I do need to step it up a bit there, as well. Nutritionist has me at 30 min/per day of fat burn or cardio 4x week, PLUS 3x week of weight training - which I've started to do at home w/hand held weights.

I am glad you're working out and lifting weights. Don't be afraid of increasing the weight if you can do more than 8-12 reps. You won't bulk up like Arnold...you're a woman. Most women simply aren't built for that.

DH gets on eliptical and punches in weight/age and time range (30 min)...fat burn - and the machine says his target heart-rate is around 130.

I do same thing - and my target is 122.

I barely break a sweat before I've hit my target and I can easily get into the 190's.

DH gets on there and has to work harder and harder to get to 120. Sweat is pouring down his head/face and I'm just trotting along.

What's the difference there?

Those machines aren't terribly accurate, so don't pay too much attention to those numbers.

Also, the fat burning zone is a bit of a misnomer. Yes, a larger percentage of the calories burned are from fat when you're working out at a lower intensity (60-65% of your maximum heart rate). But you burn so many more calories at a higher intensity (80-85% of your maximum heart rate) that you'll still burn more fat.

If working out for 30 minutes at a lower intensity burns 146 calories and 50% of those calories are from fat, you've burned 73 calories from fat. Working out at the higher intensity burns 206 calories. Even though only 40% of those are from fat, you've still burned 82 calories from fat.

Working out at a higher intensity burns more calories, more fat, and it makes your heart and lungs stronger. Of course...the "fat burning zone" puts my heart rate in the high intensity category...so it's just a matter of perspective.

Your DH's heart rate goes up more slowly than yours because he's in better shape than you. Your body has to work really hard to get blood out to your muscles, which makes your heart rate skyrocket. His body doesn't need to work so hard, so his heart rate doesn't go up quite as fast.

Keep up the good work and you'll start to notice that your heart rate isn't going up quite so quickly. :smile:

Thank you so much! :thumbup:

Interestingly enough, one of my dogs ate the folder that I was keeping my paperwork in.

So, now I can say, in all honesty that the dog ate my homework.

How many carbs in paper...?

:eek:

Thanks again for the advise...I'll take it to heart.