Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein, protein, protein?????????

Hi guys! I am fairly new to this website but have found it to be extremely helpful. I keep reading about Protein in many posted messages. I am not sure if I have the right information, which might explain my extremely SLOW weigh loss. Can someone please let me know about Proteins. Is there a certain amount I should be eating daily? Should I be cutting out carbs, sugars, etc? Should I be eating a certain amount of calories a day? I was never informed about any of this and was wondering if anyone was told something I should know. I was banned 4/20/2005, have only lost about 12lbs. and was adjusted (filled) two times already. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! Am I doing something wrong? Any info would be helpful. Thanks...Anne

I was told to get in 70 grams of Protein a day and to eat Protein first, veggies second and then if there's any room left to try some starches. My doctors say no sugar and low carbs.

Others may have different opinions, that's just what my docs say.

I am the 70 - 80 grams of Protein first with a fruit or veggie. That is what ever meal should consist of for me. I was told to keep my caloires down to @ 1200 a day. Most days I am good with that...the last few not so good, but today is better. I do make sure I write EVERYTHING that goes in my mouth down. I try to log everything onto to fitday.com but if I don't get there I have my pad of paper that I use everyday.

Everyone is so different...this is what I was told and so far it's working for me. Good Luck.

I'm currently reading, "Picture Perfect Weightloss." I find the part about Protein diets particularly interesting. When you deprive your body of carbs, you force yourself into a state of ketosis so you lose weight. I haven't gotten too far in this book yet, but there aren't too many long-term studies showing whether this state of ketosis can be detrimental... I'm not good at recounting medical terminology, so maybe somebody else can help me here. My point is I never believed in Protein diets to begin with, and now I'm reading that they might be dangerous.

Either way, most of us were concerned at first that we couldn't get enough protein in, but I haven't met one Bandster yet that's suffering malnutrition. Getting enough protein is very easy, even when you are well restricted considering you can drink protein in shake forms.

60 grams of Protein is what I was told by my Dr.

Every Dr. has different post op instructions but they all say Protein first..the ammount of grams varies is all

Portein will curb your appetite and keep your hunger at bay.

For me, carbs crave crabs, when I eat carbs I want more and more carbs. I eat all day. Same goes for surgar with me. If I eat protein in the morning for my first meal, it satisfys me and keeps craving and hunger down all day,

well, I've been very good about getting my protien in, and I dunno about my hair, but my nails have never been better. Before I went back to school I always had exotic length acrylic nails, loved loved loved my long nails.

My nails never grew well -- very thin and britle. Now, while they aren't exotic length, are the longest they've been in 2 years. LOVE IT!

I think most doctors preach low carb and not no carb. And the carbs they want us the eat are not the ones we craved. All those chocolate covered one do nothing for us nutritionally. If you are going to have carbs it should be the whole grain varity so that you get nutritional benifits from it. I think a no carb diet would not only be hard, but dangerous.

Now, back to my chocolate covered carbs.

Melissa

When I was first banded I had problems eating any kind of meat. It always seemed to get stuck no matter how long I chewed. I found that the south beach meal bars have 19 grams of Protein in them. They're not bad either!

I was on the Adkins diet for about 3 months several years ago. Lost 40lbs but was very weak! When I went in to see my Dr. He ran all kinds of blood test and then told me to

GET OFF THAT DIET NOW!! He said my blood work has never been so bad. My Protein levels were so high he had me take some more test to see if I had Lupis. Didn't thank God! As soon as I was off Adkins, my blood work went back to normal and I had my energy back. (what little I ever had) The no carb diet is not for me!! I like, no love the banding diet lots better! ;)