Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone hungry between meals?

I just had my first fill and it was 2cc in a 10 cc band. I know ultimately that the goal is to not be hungry, but right now, between meals or if I go too long between eating, I am starving. Is this normal? I eat the right amount Protein and veggies until I am satisfied, but about 2 1/2 - 3 hours later I am so hungry.

My band has always worked for me in the way that I get hungry normally but I'm satisfied on far less food.

But I generally cant make it between meals five or six hours apart. I get starving. In fact hungrier than I used to becuase a 200 calorie Breakfast is less than I used to eat and it just will not carry me through say, a morning of getting the kids to school with all the bedmaking, lunchmaking Breakfast making, dishes, ironing, dressing, doing hair and driving that entails and then a 10km run followed by say some vacuuming and light cleaning. I *NEED* to eat before lunchtime!

If you're truly hungry, I think you should eat something small. You might find with more fill you wont get so hungry - a lot of people do. I just dont find what I call "appropriate" hunger to be a problem, you do need to fuel your body and if its telling you it needs food, then that means it does. But head hunger, mild hunger pangs an hour before dinner etc, we need to learn to tolerate and ignore that.

As you get more fills, you'll start to feel satisfied longer. I just had a fill this week, so I can't really comment on this one yet, but after my third fill, I totally understood how the band works. I felt full and satisfied for an easy four hours. Up to that fill, I had anticipated my evening snack, but without feeling hunger sometimes I skipped it or just had a small amount of veggies, fruit, or whole grains (whatever healthy food I thought I had shorted myself on that day). That's the feeling of hitting the sweet spot with the band. I hope with the 1 cc they added this week, I'll keep that feeling for more than a few weeks.

depends on my day & activity level; i have 3 meals plus one or two Snacks. depending on what i eat determines how long before a next meal. i found fruit doesn't hold me over that long for a snack than say a slice of cheese - but i still enjoy fruit.

I have not felt any hunger since surgery, but I am only two weeks post-op. I am sure the feeling will come back, but I sure hope it doesn't :ohmy:. I can only assume that is because my stomach is still swollen or healing, take your pick.

I think you all have great insight. Right now I am doing the five small meals as you all have suggested, but not to satisfy hunger rather to get in my protein! Though I plan to continue the five small meals, because it seems the healthiest way to go. I love reading posts from you veterans! You all are such INSPIRATION to a newby like me!! Happy Holidays to all of you!

I just had my first fill and it was 2cc in a 10 cc band. I know ultimately that the goal is to not be hungry, but right now, between meals or if I go too long between eating, I am starving. Is this normal? I eat the right amount Protein and veggies until I am satisfied, but about 2 1/2 - 3 hours later I am so hungry.

I know my response will most likely cause a few (not so nice) comments but, I have found that taking 1 green Tea tablet in the mid morning and 1 around 2 or 3 helps with the inbetween meals hungry. Remember: Everyone may have their own opinion as of what mid morning is to them, my mid morning is at 9:00. The green tea helps to curb your appetite and also helps stimulate metabolism. I'm not telling you in the least to go out and by these, but I'm not telling you not to either. I know they work and I don't get hungry between meals now that I am taking them. If you decide to give it it try, make sure you drink plenty of liquids during the day. Best of luck

Edited by SLIMCITYHEREICOME

Me too!

My doctor said eating 3 meals a day is not good for me.

5 meals or eating 5 different times during the day is what I do. If I don't, I find myself starving!

Breakfast

snack

lunch

snack

dinner

I don't eat alot, just a few bites. And my Snacks are a tiny salad, fruit, nuts, something like that.

HUM: My doctor said just the opposite of yours. He said only 3 meals a day no snacking between meals and only 4-5 ounces when I eat. Guess every Doctor is different huh?

Hi Im new here i see you were banded on 12/3/08 i was banded on 12/1/08 i wouldlike to hear how you are doing do you have any restictions right now? i dont and i feel like i eat to much

Hello Tracie!

I am doing great. I do not feel restriction either, at least I don't think I do. Along with that I need to add that I also do not feel hunger the way I used to, not sure if it is the placement of the band or what. I feel a bunch of grumbling and gurgling at times that I feel I should eat. I can eat much more than I thought I would be able to, but in saying that I eat MAYBE 1/4 of what I used to eat. So to me it is all good. I eat 1/2 to 1 cup of food per meal....which is not much at all. Somedays I can get in a little more, somedays a little less....it all depends on what I am eating. Since my preop diet I am 22 lbs down, I know that is not as much as some, but it makes me happy. I have lost something each week, and that is my goal.

My next thing I am trying to tackle is exercise! I need to start but am still sore in my port area, and still have a few stitches on the edge of my incisions.

I still have not scheduled my first fill, I feel I need to wait on that because I am not completely healed yet. Plus I am doing OK with the weight loss right now.

How are things going for you?