Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Holiday Hard Times

Hi Everyone!

So, it is that time of year where the Snacks and goodies are everywhere. Is anyone else having a hard time saying "no" to all the Cookies and sweets?

I am trying to be good but being a baker and cake decorator doesn't help me either. LOL

I'll admit it - I have a had a few cookies here and there.

Anyone else?

Michelle, I really don't know how I'd control my eating if I was a baker and cake decorator!! :shades_smile:

I'm not doing the Christmas baking this year. No sugar Cookies, no fudge, etc, although, I'll do a small batch of sugar cookies and a pumpkin pie for Christmas day, but that's it. Fudge is my Achilles heel, so we'll not have any of that. I'm the only one in my family that those types of foods call to, so they don't mind.

When my husband and I have been to holiday parties, I'm satisfied with just having a little nibble of whatever decadent treat he's having. As long as I can have a little taste, I'm fine. I just can't have a whole plate of sugary treats setting in my house. I'd have a hard time not getting fixated on them, I'm afraid.

My coworker brought in the Peanut Butter fudge yesterday. I had one piece (about 1 inch). It is killing me because it sits on the only empty desk (which is next to me). Thankfully, I just had my third fill so at the moment, I don't think I could eat it.

Move those sweets away from you :ohmy: That way you want be smelling or looking at them.

I'm having a bit of a time with it too... and emotional eating. My kids are sick, Two spent the evening in the ER. I think I'm ready for spring.

Teri

There was gingerbread men in the office kitchen yesterday. They smelled so good I ate 2, then spent more time on the ellipitical. :huh2:

There was gingerbread men in the office kitchen yesterday. They smelled so good I ate 2, then spent more time on the ellipitical. :huh2:

The fact that you made that up with exercise is great. Also, the fact that you stopped at two...I know before I wouldn't have stopped at 2. I would have eaten 4, 5, or more. I think we have all come a long way.

I have been banded for 10 days now and would like to know if I will ever be able to eat more than 1/4 cup at a time

I mean 1/4 of sweet potatoes and that is all I eat for the whole meal

or as time goes on will I be able to eat a cup of food at a time

1/4 c seems hardly worth eating

I do not care for sweets

my problem will be when I have to cook all the other foods that are not sweet

suasage balls, taco meat --- everything else

I have been banded for 10 days now and would like to know if I will ever be able to eat more than 1/4 cup at a time

I mean 1/4 of sweet potatoes and that is all I eat for the whole meal

or as time goes on will I be able to eat a cup of food at a time

1/4 c seems hardly worth eating

I do not care for sweets

my problem will be when I have to cook all the other foods that are not sweet

suasage balls, taco meat --- everything else

At 10 days out, you are probably stil pretty swollen from surgery. As the swelling goes down, the amount you eat will increase somewhat. I know that my doctor pushes for about 1/2 cup of food with decent restriction so you won't be eating that much more. Remember, part of this surgery is to help make food no longer the focal point in your life. I know it won't seem like it is worth eating, but that is the point (in my own opinion). This way you can spend more time talking with your family or friends instead of eating into oblivion.

Good luck to you.

twirl it is an ongoing process. You get a fill can only eat about 1/2 a cup of food, you lose weight around your stomach, you need another fill, back to being able to eat 1/2 a cup of food you lose more weight need another fill.

Even when you hit your "sweet spot" it will only last awhile you constantly adjust your band over time.

i can eat much more than 1/4 of a cup. I can eat a full cup, and if I want to push it 1 1/2 cups. But I don't choose to often, because it's just not enjoyable now.

teri

I have done better this year than in the past but I am still having a hard time staying away from the sweets. I wish at work the holidays weren't an excuse for tons of candy and sweets to be around. I have only had one fill though and maybe with more restriction I will have more control of my hunger.

Funny, if one more person had tried to "feel bad for me for not eating all the goodies" I was going to scream. Why can't they just understand that I am happy not eating holiday junk. I finally told them I choose not to eat this or that.

Was I tempted - YES - but the memories of Holidays past and the amount of food I put away, HUGE AMOUNTS, and the loss of control were still strong memories. It's not one cookie, or one tamale, or one piece of fudge. I did however allow myself extra SF Dark chocolate pudding this holiday.:tongue2:

Better choices all around.

I have been so so with sweets. I can eat only a little bit but after the second or third bite it becomes too much. I also wait until something better comes along. :hurray: