Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi...I had my lap band 11/20/07 and initially lost 50 pounds, then I went on a stand still, literally. I have not gained, nor have I lost since April 2008. That is not my major problem, though. Most of my meals consist of "slippery" foods as regular Proteins such as chicken or hamburger stops up and causes discomfort and sometimes severe pain. When this happens I start hiccuping for a short time, then I start what I think you call productive burping along with slimy spit and continuous swallowing. Most of the time I can feel the food go through the band. It is an odd feeling, which I have come to associate with relief as I know the pain is soon to stop. It is not often that I vomit, but infrequently I do. Mostly it is about 10 minutes of misery. It is most disconcerting when this happens while I am at a restaurant or lunching with friends. This brings us back to my eating foods that slip right through to avoid these episodes. My surgeon says that I am just more sensitive. No one in my support group will cop to having these episodes. When I asked what PB was, they laughed and said, "Oh you'll know."

Can any one help me? Does any one want to be my email buddy for support?

Thanks

PS Please ignore the ticker...I have forgotten how to edit or remove it.

Sweet, it sounds to me like you are too tight. If you find yourself making poor food choices because "real" food is difficult to swallow.....that's the hallmark of being overfilled.

Also, are the members of your support group actually banded? Because what you've described sounds like a straight up PB. This happens to me if I'm overfilled, or if I eat too much or eat too fast.

It this were happening to me, I'd get a slight unfill and see if you can tolerate healthier foods. That's really how the band is meant to work.

If you keep getting unfills but still cannot tolerate real foods, it could be a sign that something is going on with your band. It sounds like your doc is kinda blowing you off, so tell him in detail what's going on, and ask for possible reasons / solutions.

In addition to Plain's advice I would try, as a test, cutting food into very, very small pieces and chew it to mush before swallowing. Eat a bite and wait to see how that feels. Then very slowly eat more. I'm just wondering if your stacking too much in at one time. Some people seem to have an intolerance for beef or chicken. I would try fish in this manner and see what that does. But if very small pieces of all solid food gets stuck - you're or certain overfilled. Carefully experimeting and troubleshooting should yield you a clear answer.

Good luck!

Brad

Plain and BamBam....

Hi Guys! Thank you for your advice...I was getting pretty desperate as almost every meal for about 6 months has been uncomfortable. I has a fill of 2 ml, but had 0.5 ml taken out...twice. That leaves a fill of only 1 ml. It doesn't seem like that would make the band too tight, but, Plain you do have a point. I think I will follow BamBam's advice for a couple weeks. If I get no relief, I will go back to my doctor and follow Plain's advice and have another 0.5 ml removed. Both of you gave me some sound advice to go on and I thank you.

Many thanks,

: ) gini :tounge_smile: