Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Uncertain about which type of WLS

I wanted bypass wls originally. After meeting with Dr. B he said lap band has less complications, shorter surgery time, no hosp stay. I thought I wanted that. Then I had the all day info session and the lady who spoke to us had bypass surgery and with all of the complications she had had, she would not have changed anything and was happy with bypass. I've given it more thought and I think I do want bypass too. Having to return for fill so often then with overfills and under fills and having to return to the clinic so often, it seem like something I would not be hapy with. Anybody else have these feelings? Besides if I move it will mean flying back and forth to Moncton and expensive.

That's a good point but let me put this out there. I have a doctor that had the bypass two years ago. She lost the 100 pounds she needed to lose and was thrilled. But now she is starting to put the weight back on because her small pouch has stretched and she can eat more food. She actually said to me that she was contemplating the lap band to help shrink her stomach.

Plus, I've been banded a year and I have no issues with my fills. I know I only have a two hour drive away, but I've had five fills in total and have taken it slowly. Not everyone gets fills and defills. I'd say a lot of people get a few fills and then stick with that for ages.

You can never change back if you are someone that gets "dumping" syndrome with bypass, whereas yes, it may be expensive for you to get your fills (unless you research now where you could get them closer to you) but how expensive if you have complications and can't work etc.

Good luck with your decision. It is hard for some. I would never had gone the surgery route if bypass was my only option. I didn't want the complications. I only decided to do this because it is reversible and I haven't really mucked with the natural workings of my body.

Take care,

Mary

This is a very personal decision, so make sure you have good research-based information before deciding. I decided on LapBand because I felt it was less invasive. The nice thing is that it is always adjustable. You will lose slower than with bypass, but have less possibility of nutritional deficiencies and complications. Know that you will need to be seen by your MD monthly after bypass surgery for at least the first 6 months for follow-up and every 2-3 months, then yearly. Either surgery requires multiple follow-up visits. I have also taken it slow and have lost 56 lbs over 15 months. My band is now at 5 ccs and I am getting good restriction. No problems with fills and no need for unfills. It is common to feel like the band is much tighter following a fill, then it gets looser as you lose fat around the stomach. You eventually reach the "sweet spot" where you are losing, but not too restricted. I can eat almost anything, just a whole lot less of it and no dumping syndrome with the LapBand. Good luck with your decision!

I have a friend that had the bypass and has now has the lapband because her pouch expanded to the point that it had the same volume capacity of her whole stomach. With the band, not only is it reversible, but if your pouch stretches, in most cases, the removal of fill can allow the pouch to return to a normal capacity.

The bypass is considered by the medical profession as the "gold standard" for WLS but in my respectful opinion the lapband is equal to or better. People gain back weight whether they have bypass or band IF they eat high calorie foods. Nothing short of removing the stomach is going to stop a person from gaining weight if they sabatogue themselves. It takes effort to lose and maintain weight, the WLS is the tool that makes it a bit easier.

Research carefully before making your choice.

Thank you all for your input. The one thing that you list as a downside, dumping syndrome, might be a good thing because I can't seem to stay away from sweets and high fatty foods. In the case of dumping, it would have to happen only once or twice and you wouldn't want to do that again. With banding you must rely on willpower to avoid sweets and fats.

One other thing is if you go to Dr. N. Cristeau's? website "weightlosssurgery" and read the comparison list between lapband and bypass, the incidents of further surgery is 14% in lapband and 3% in bypass. I just don't know.

inuit: You must decide for yourself. Most bandsters are sold on their band because that was their choice. I suggest you go to a "gastric bypass" support meeting and listen. Then go to a "gastric band" support meeting and listen.

For me the terrible things that happen to a gastric bypass patient scared the devil out of me so I went band.

I attended a gastric bypass support meeting and one young girl was hospitalized and was near death when the doctors realized that all the estrogen stored in the fat was being released into her system. Apparently, estrogen is stored in fat. She was losing fat so quickly, that the body could not absorb fast enough. She lived to tell her story, but that story and others turned me away. At least with the band it is reversible but there are also sides affects. Good luck in your decision

Edited by Doddie63
typos

Oh Doddie63, that's the problem. I am a member of this lap band site and am a member of a bypass site. Everybody loves their choices. No exceptions. I've heard horror stories about both and heard wonderful stories about both. The deciding factor may be as simple as I am planning to move to nothern Canada within the next 4 years or so . Most regular md's won't touch a lap band pt in trouble or overfilled and it's a long flight(and expensive) to return to moncton. That may end up being the deciding factor.

whatever you decide will be the best answer for you and the fact there is so much information out there when you do make the decision you will feel without a doubt you made the right one. Good luck in your journey and keep posting your concerns or victories.

Oh Doddie63, that's the problem. I am a member of this lap band site and am a member of a bypass site. Everybody loves their choices. No exceptions. I've heard horror stories about both and heard wonderful stories about both. The deciding factor may be as simple as I am planning to move to nothern Canada within the next 4 years or so . Most regular md's won't touch a lap band pt in trouble or overfilled and it's a long flight(and expensive) to return to moncton. That may end up being the deciding factor.