Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Allergic to the Band?

I had surgery Oct 29 and developed a rash all over my stomach at about 2.5 weeks after surgery. I went to the doctor and was put on steroids for a week. The rash went away...now only to come back a week after stopping the steroids. Are there any known cases of being allergic to the band itself and having to have it removed? Any ideas?

The same thing happened to me, but mine did'nt last that long.

Mine was from the tape they use. I used Cortizone cream on my belly and that is a steriod cream.

I have also heard of people beinf allergic to the wash they put on your stomach in the operating room.

I think its highly unlikly that you are allergic to the band itself. your symptoms would be more internal I would think.

Good luck. and try the cream.

it is probably an allergy to the sutures. There have not been any cases of a person being allergic to the actual Band itself. Call your doc and talk to them and try to get that rash under control for once and for all! Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks! I forgot to mention that before the oral steroids I was prescribed the steroid cream. Tried that for a week and nothing...and then was put on a prednisone burst and taper...I was relieved that the rash went away...but then it came back after I stopped the steroids. I certainly hope that there is no way I can be allergic to the material in the band, i.e. silicone or whatever, but it is soo ironic that first the rash started around the port and then spread. Also...I got a fill a week or so ago and where "I thought the port would be" was actually A LOT lower than my port incision...YET...it is rock hard above my incision - if that isn't my port...what the heck is that? It sticks out too. I have been experiencing pain when I swallow...like food getting stuck I am guessing....but this resolved when I was taking the steroids...and now it is back too. I just wonder if I am swollen and inflammed on the inside? I am thinking horrible thoughts of what it "could be." I am seeing my regular family physician (not my surgeon) tomorrow. I have seen my surgeon and he is the one that put me on the steroids....I can't get in to him until after the holidays...so I am going for something to relieve the itch at least tomorrow.