Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

As far as meats after regular foods is bison ok?

I want to try it before i go to a fish eating vegetarian i would like to try it once or twice.

also how many of you eat organic or locally grown food?

What have you done to better your lifestyle?

How do you keep your will power?

I've made chili with bison meat and had no problems with it. I've read that bison is lower in fat and higher in Protein than beef. As long as you use farmed bison it shouldn't taste gamey.

I would think bison would be better than okay. It's leaner and doesn't have all that hormone crap in it like commercial beef. I do fine with red meat like lamb and beef. I have a problem with chicken. It's to dry.

As for organic, yes, I buy it as much as possible. FRESH. Sometimes what I want or need is unavailable, and I purchase regular, and sometimes it's so expensive I can't afford it, but it does taste better, especially organic milk and dairy products. Unfortunately we don't have a farmer's market here for locally grown, but I buy it as it's available. I eat a huge variety of every color and texture of vegetable and fruit.< /p>

As far as making changes for the better, I eat real butter (preferably organic) instead of nasty margaine when necessary, I cook with olive oil now, instead of canola. I try to eat fish (seafood) at least 3 times a week and take fish oil for the Omega-3s. I take Biotin for my hair, and Calcium for my bones since I'm now approaching 50. I eat very little out of a can and have substituted brown rice for white, sweet potatoes for white and whole grain Pasta for white, and 100% whole wheat bread for white. I eat fresh berries of some kind every week. I take 1 oz. shots of Acai berry juice with mangosteen daily.

When I eat right and balanced, I don't seem to crave the yucky stuff so much so my will power is easier to manage. the biggest change? I went from ZERO exercise to 3 or 4 times a week. I prefer Water aerobics, but lately I hate getting in the pool when it's cold. So I walk. My blood pressure is back to normal, I've reduced my dose of synthroid and eliminated my risk of diabetes. Life is good. Thanks to my little internal friend.

I love eating organic and/or locally grown food. Fewer pesticides for one. With locally grown food, you can always ask how things are grown because you get to buy from the actual farm! Whole Foods often orders local foods (at the most 1 state away), so check them out if you can't find any local farmers markets.

Bison is a great option ... it's lean. 100% grass-fed (or grass finished) beef is so much leaner than regular beef. There are also more Vitamins and omega-3's in it. And if you can't find grass finished beef, get organic.

Read any books by Michael Pollan, like Omnivore's Dilemma or Eater's Manifesto. They have great information how how food is grown and produced.

There's a great website that you can find local farmer's markerts, CSAs, groceries, and restaurants - Sustainable Table

I just think having as much real, unprocessed food as possible in your diet is best.

Since May we've been members of a local (hour away) CSA Farm. We get a box of fresh, organic, in-season veggies & fruits every week. It's $20 per week and very much worth it. We still have to buy some fruit and veggies depending on what we need or are cooking that week but it's fun to find recipes to use the in-season veggies that we get each week. Oh and the boxes are delivered to different sites and you go pick your box up at your pick-up site. They deliver all over 2 counties.

I'd LOVE to try Bison. Just don't know where to get it. I haven't done it yet but there is a grass-fed beef company within a couple of hours of us (they deliver) that I want to try as well. I've never had grass-fed beef. I was raised on grocery store meat!

We started the veggies before I had surgery but I was in my insurance program to get surgery. I think that as you (me) get healthier, weight-wise, you want to start doing better things for yourself and that includes how you eat, what you eat and exercise, buying nicer clothes to wear, getting your hair and/or nails done, etc.

Will power isn't necessarily an issue. There are some things that I really just don't care to have anymore (soda, tho once in awhile I think I'd like a sip) and there are things that I still love (pizza for one). I'm trying to get out of the dieter's mentality and become normal in how I think about food. It's fuel and nice to have some treats once in awhile. pizza once every week or two are fine now b/c I'm only eating 1-2 slices vs. the 4-5 I used to eat. At this point, for me, it's all about moderation and eating as healthy as I can for the most part. My treats aren't candy bars or chocolate, it might be 1/2 a kid sized cheeseburger or a few of DH's fries with my baked/grilled piece of chicken.

For me, at least, it's just been a total changing of a mindset. You'll find what works for you.

My family hasn't eaten much beef for the last five years. We buy a bison every year and usually split it with a good friend of ours or one of our children. I also like to hunt and every year we have a deer in the freezer or an elk. Some years if i'm real fortunate we have both. Other than moose, bison is the best red meat that you can eat. You just can't go wrong with bison. Cook it just like you would any similar cut of beef and don't over cook it.

I've never had bison before, But i try to steer clear of beef. I usually have a lot of fish and turkey and gator when i can get it. Where do you buy Bison meat?

My family hasn't eaten much beef for the last five years. We buy a bison every year and usually split it with a good friend of ours or one of our children. I also like to hunt and every year we have a deer in the freezer or an elk. Some years if i'm real fortunate we have both. Other than moose, bison is the best red meat that you can eat. You just can't go wrong with bison. Cook it just like you would any similar cut of beef and don't over cook it.

I just had a Bison steak the other night. I found it at Wal-Mart next to the regular steaks. They also had ground bison. My husband cooked it on the grill for me and I could not tell the difference between it and a beef steak.

Lucy

I've seen bison meat at our local grocers. It's a peculiar color. It's more of a purple color meat, instead of the bright red of beef. I don't know if that's because it's vaccuum packed or not, but it's also very lean. No fat at all. We can get ground bison and bison steaks. I haven't tried it yet, as it is very expensive, but I have heard from numerous sources how good it is, and good for you.