Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What foods are considered mushies?

There's a lot of threads on it. and some good recipes. It's always a debate on what's a mushie, but I go with what my Doc says and that's anything you can mush with a fork. A couple of my favs when I was on that stage: caned white chicken meat, ff cream cheese and ff ranch dip mix. canned white chicken meat mixed w/spinich dip and I lived on refried Beans w/taco sauce, lf cheese and topped w/lf sour cream

sounds lovely, can't wait well actually i can because im not much a chix salad, tuna salad person.

so the pouches of tuna is considered mush? im trying to go from eating polutry and pork to just eating fish during my accalmation phase so i won't miss them as much.

Tunas a mushie and so is the packets of salmon. I'm not a chix salad person eather but I do like it with the cream cheese and ranch dip.

I'm getting banded Wednesday (weather permitting). I'm tired of this liquid diet and am really looking forward to the mushies. Did you mix the canned chix with the ff cream cheese and lf ranch dip? The refried bean thing sounds heavenly right now. :tongue2:

Here's the link to the food & nutrition forum Food and Nutrition - Lap Band Surgery and Lap Band Discussion Forum

There are a lot of good ideas and recipes there. My fav was ff refried Beans, cheese and salsa. Scrambled eggs are always good.

yes, mix 2 9.75 oz cans chicken with 1 packet ff cream cheese and 1 packet hidden valley lf dip mix. remember to break chix up and drain. refridge for a couple of hours. when your past the mushie stage I add scallons and form it in a ball coat with crushed almonds and serve with rf club crackers at parties, everyone loves them. there are some good recipes for talipia also, check the above link that krtork gave. I think after the liquid stage almost anything is good. also if your on the go string cheese is a quick fix, I myself prefer kraft sharp chedder cubes, you can have about 7 cubes at a time but 5 would do it for me.

Edited by kimaly

OH, and don't forget deli meat is a good way to get in your Protein. just ask them to shave it. hope this helps. jimmy dean has cheese omlets that are pretty good and pretty quick

I say skip actually going through all the troubles of mushing the food up and buy jars of baby food and season it like you would regualar food!

But seriously that is the best way to describe what mushies. Babyfood consistency.

Mushies are anything you can blend to a baby food consistency.
Not according to my doctor, that's what he conciders full liquids, he says Clear Liquids, full liquids, mushies (soft foods) then reg food. That's why I said earlier that there is a lot of debate on the subject. I guess it's best you check with your doc and see what he conciders mushies, everybody's Doctor seems to have his own idea.

This is exactly what the hand out from my surgeon says on mushy foods....

"Soft/Mushy Foods" - Canned tuna, canned chicken, canned ham, salmon, or beef, mashed with lots of low fat mayo (try nonfat Miracle Whip!). Soft white fish like Tilapia. Mashed cottage cheese. Soft cheeses, like string cheese (small bites and chew well). 1-2 mashed, soft-boiled eggs, or a VERY moist scrambled egg or two. (Dry goods can "stick") A mashed, hard-boiled egg with low fat mayo. Any yogurt, but chew the pieces of fruit well. Very soft cooked stew meat with veggies. Soft casseroles. Any soft canned, fresh, or cooked veggies or fruit. Canned Vienna sausage, canned "potted" meat, chili. Spaghetti or other noodles with sauce. Soft meat loaf of good quality meat with no gristle. Regular oatmeal, cooked grits, a good Fiber Cereal with milk. (We suggest Kashi go Lean Crunch - great Fiber and protein!) Any Soup, like "Chunky", with soft meats and vegetables. Anything similar!

Eat only a few bites at first, when you first start soft foods. STOP with any pain, pressure, or discomfort. If you have no trouble, you may eat as much as 1-2 cupful or more, if you like.

So that's my surgeons orders on mushy foods. Hope that helps.

Wow we can really accomodate 1-2 cups of mushies?

Suggestions I've gotten are hummus, mashed potatos, butternut squash, chili, scrambled eggs with cheese.

Not quite there yet.

Not according to my doctor, that's what he conciders full liquids, he says clear liquids, full liquids, mushies (soft foods) then reg food. That's why I said earlier that there is a lot of debate on the subject. I guess it's best you check with your doc and see what he conciders mushies, everybody's Doctor seems to have his own idea.

Yep, that was the definition given to me in my paperwork. Full liquids only extended to creamed Soups, FF pudding and plain FF yogurt along with everything on clear liquids. My doc considers soft foods to be a separate category all together.