Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why is banding so frowned upon?

Wow, I just wanted to say that this is a terrific thread. I've been hiding what I thought was my "dirty little secret", but I feel a lot better knowing that, really, I'm just doing this the Australian way. See, I eat the same basically healthy diet I ate before being banded - just a lot less of it. I abhor artificial sweeteners and any sort of highly processed, chemical, fake food. I generally avoid white carbs, and I try to eat enough Protein - but I don't obsess over any of it. And so far it's workiing for me. I've lost 50 lbs since 08/26/08.

Heather, if you substituted "late teens" for "early 20's" and "42" for "40", these two sentences could have been written by me: "I was a little overweight in my early 20's, until I decided to do something about it. That is what started the yoyo of deprivation to gluttony that got me to a 40 BMI." Hopefully we've now broken that cycle forever.

KSF in Austin

That's how I got fat too. I wasnt my normal, everyday diet that made me fat, that was pretty good. It was the post diet gluttony that piled on the pounds. Every diet would end in a new high, maybe only 3 or 4lb but over the years, that adds up. Then when I *DID* hit a stage in life where its very easy to gain - post pregnancy - that took me into previously unchartered territory - OBESITY.

I sometimes feel like I'm bashing my head on a brick wall in here - I have to stop and remember that some people actually like the organisation, ritual and routine of a diet. I know my mother loves it, she lives that way all the time. But for the rest, I just want to scream YOU DONT HAVE TO PUT YOURSELF THROUGH THIS.

I think it really pays to be highly sceptical of current and fashionable dietary advice too - and that goes for both the traditional food pyramid that still dominates here and the high Protein low carb advice. You just cant believe everything you see and read. I dont know if anyone saw the other thread Free Nutrition Advice but I reported it because here was a licenced nutritionist with NO idea about basic human physiology, giving advice that was plain incorrect about how the body metabolises its foods. How can you even rely on the professionals if they dont even understand such simple stuff as how human digestion works?

That's why I think moderation is the only safe way to go. Not too much or too little of ANYTHING.

Same for me to many ups and downs in dieting!! In fact I moved to Europe after I got married and could not eat much and lost 50 pounds pretty quick. I was the thinnest I have ever been and unhealthy. I just couldn't eat European food I didn't like it and it didn't agree with me. Than I come back to the states and can eat again and gained it all back and more in a matter of weeks. Add a baby to the mix and it was over. I think that year of stavation and living off tea and bread really messed with my health.