Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommendatons please!

Hello everyone...:rolleyes2:

What a great day! I just finished up all my pre-op testing today and my surgery is set for Dec. 22, 2008 (its gonna be a liquid Christmas! lol), but I do want to ask how long after the surgery were you able to drive? move around with no problem? How sore were you? What liquids are the best to eat for the first few days?

I am sincerely grateful for any suggestions. Thanks and Happy Holidays friends!

lauren :cursing:

Recovery is VERY individual, of course, but I felt good pretty much immediately. The day of the surgery I felt fine! Day 2, I took my prescription pain meds twice, but otherwise, liquid (or pill) tylenol did fine for me for the first 3 days or so. I could drive, I think, at 24 or 48 hours. It depends on the doc; you just need time for anesthesia to clear your system, and you do NOT drive when taking prescription pain meds. I moved around good from the start...a little slow at first, but that passed quickly. A pillow to help brace the surgical sites really helped brace me when standing up or sitting down...

Post op eat/drink whatever YOUR surgeon tells you. All post op diets seem to be just a little different so do what your doc finds works best for his/her patient base. I was allowed only Clear Liquids (water, broth, oh, and Water LOL) for the first week. Not even any Protein shakes! Hopefully your doc will be a little more lenient!

I know I am not typical. I never had any pain. I was out walking 3 dogs the next day. I drove the next day. I had surgery on a friday and went back to work on monday because I felt like I never had surgery. People have told me this is because I was used to exercise and had been doing work on my abs for several years before surgery.

I don't know that for sure. All I know is, this surgery was a piece of cake for me.

I was on liquids for 4 weeks.I drank Slim fast low carb and Atkins Protein Drinks. I also had whatever Soup I wanted if I put it into a blender and blended it until it was pure liquid without any chunks.

I hope I answered your questions!

Hello everyone...:rolleyes2:

What a great day! I just finished up all my pre-op testing today and my surgery is set for Dec. 22, 2008 (its gonna be a liquid Christmas! lol), but I do want to ask how long after the surgery were you able to drive? move around with no problem? How sore were you? What liquids are the best to eat for the first few days?

I am sincerely grateful for any suggestions. Thanks and Happy Holidays friends!

lauren :lol:

Hiii i had my lapband on novemeber 24 so i missed thanksgiving which was hard BUTT i would not change nothing what u can eat which isint that bad is chicken broth a lot of yelloo lol drink apple juice and cranberry thats what kept me up :cursing: hope that helps a little GOOD LUCKKK :laugh:

Hey! I am four days post op and on a liquid diet. The first few days I was in kind of a lot of pain. With pain medication, it felt like the day after a rigorous ab workout. Just really sore. But then when the pain meds would wear off I'd get more of those "gas" pains in my shoulder (not much actually). I hear the gas pains are worse for larger people, like my husband, because they need more gas to fill them up. (We both had the surgery.) It hurt to get up and sit down, but when I am not moving it's fine. Today has been the best day so far. No pain meds at all and I just feel a little sore!!!

For the clear liquids be sure to get things that are sugar free or low sugar in addition to sugared liquids. It's hard to have that many carbs without feeling sick, so we drank crystal light too. We also have been getting yummy slushies from sonic!! Be careful because the put Sprite in some of the slushes. Also, be sure to get plenty of NON sweet liquids like broth. After a few days of drinking gatorade, eating Jello, and having sugary stuff, my tounge is all gross and coating in like...sugar film. So make sure you have a variety of stuff available!

I hear the gas pains are worse for larger people, like my husband, because they need more gas to fill them up. (We both had the surgery.)!

Gas pains are worse if the surgeon can't or won't remove the gas before "closing you up", or can't remove ENOUGH gas. I was quite large and had no problems. Not to be contentious! I'm sure your husband is suffering if he has gas pains because those suckers hurt! I've had gas trapped when I've eaten certain things, but nada post op.

The shoulder pain isn't gas...so Gas-x etc won't help it, either....it's from the diaphragm, having it pinched or jostled or just plain discommoded. It's bad, but does go away.

Good for you two getting healthy together! :)